Home Town Tochigi for Kuroiso to retire in Dec.

I was told that this will retire in Dec, so people have been showing up to snap photos. Here are some that I've took recently. I've become interested in 185 series as it mixes old style design with being different from the more common commuters.

DSC_0937.jpg

DSC_0938.jpg

DSC_0932.jpg

DSC_0924.jpg

DSC_0922.jpg

Best wishes,

Grant

I was told that this will retire in Dec, so people have been showing up to snap photos. Here are some that I've took recently. I've become interested in 185 series as it mixes old style design with being different from the more common commuters.

Nice photos there, Grant.  I'm a fan of the 185 series too.  It looks like the Hometown Tochigi and Ohayo Tochigi services will indeed end with the revised schedule effective December 4th.

The headmark does say tokkyu, so I assume they are charging full limited express fare for this?  I wonder why it's not classified as a homeliner/ohayoliner, those have a 310 yen surcharge, if I recall correctly.  Seems a lot more appealing.

The headmark does say tokkyu, so I assume they are charging full limited express fare for this?  I wonder why it's not classified as a homeliner/ohayoliner, those have a 310 yen surcharge, if I recall correctly.  Seems a lot more appealing.

Well, come the new year, long distance commuters will have to pay more anyway* to take the shinkansen, so they may actually remember these as "cheap".  JR East is really taking the axe to these marginal ltd. express services, which is a pity, as it adds variety to otherwise mundane activity on capital region main lines.

*or rather their employers, if they're lucky

I don't know what I'm doing wrong here, I thought base fares were the same over almost all of the JR network, but here's a quick comparison of the Hometown Tochigi versus the Hanwa Liner:

• JR East Hometown Tochigi: Shinjuku to Furukawa, 61.8 km, 61 minutes, 1,110 yen base fare, 900 yen non-reserved limited express fare, total 2,010 yen
  • JR West Hanwa Liner: Tennōji to Wakayama, 61.3 km, 59 minutes, 830 yen base fare, 310 yen "Liner" fare, total 1,140 yen

I know which I prefer.  Certainly there are other factors, the existence of a shinkansen, competing private railways, etc.

references: http://transit.goo.ne.jp/ and http://ekikara.jp/

JR East is really taking the axe to these marginal ltd. express services, which is a pity, as it adds variety to otherwise mundane activity on capital region main lines.

Agree completely.  I don't know what name it was under, but once upon a time (like JNR era) there was a limited express service connecting Tennōji and Nagoya--via the Kisei Main Line!  I think it was operated with KIHA181s, even now that route is not entirely electrified.  What a great ride that must have been.  This would of course be a JR West/Central service, but your point is dead on.

I don't know what name it was under, but once upon a time (like JNR era) there was a limited express service connecting Tennōji and Nagoya--via the Kisei Main Line!  I think it was operated with KIHA181s, even now that route is not entirely electrified.

That would be the limited express "Kuroshio" in its first version.  The service used the original kiha 80/81 diesel ltd. express units (ex-Hatsukari?) with the famous "lions head" (my term) cab fronts.  When the Kisei Main Line was electrified as far as Shingu in 1978, this long distance service was split up, with the electrified portion served by the "Kuroshio" with 381 series, and the non-electrified portion Nagoya-Shingu by the "Nanki" with kiha 82 units.

http://www.railstation.net/duke/ressha/ltdexp_kuroshio.html

I'm sitting in the first car but on the opposite side. Only rode to Omiya.

Asked a nearby railfan to snap my photo.

DSC_0034-1.jpg

DSC_0038-1.jpg

DSC_0039-1.jpg

Snapped it after getting off at Omiya.

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

List of changes at Shinjuku after tomorrow.

DSC_0207.jpg

Not noticed very much, but the 20:30 Homeliner Odawara is also ending.

The weekend Akagi at 18:02 is pushed back to 21:04.

Grant

After the last train has left, the maintenance crew updates the boarding signs and schedules.

After the the last Hometown Tochigi had passed. I missed it as I had a class. I happened to speak to a railfan who said that the crowd wasn't as large as previous send off crowds, about half the size. There were only a few to shoot the Home-Liner Odawara at 20:30. Two to shoot it actually depart.

DSC_0584-1.jpg

DSC_0587.jpg

DSC_0607.jpg

DSC_0608.jpg

DSC_0609.jpg

DSC_0610.jpg

DSC_0611.jpg

Some passengers appear pretty nonchalant while people work around them.

DSC_0612.jpg

DSC_0613.jpg

DSC_0621.jpg

DSC_0622.jpg

Best wishes,

Grant

• Like 1

This is after the Home-Liner Odawara had passed, but still working on the same platform. The 20:30 had used the opposite platform, but the new one will use platform 6.

DSC_0920.jpg

DSC_0921.jpg

DSC_0922-1.jpg

DSC_0923.jpg

DSC_0924-1.jpg

DSC_0926.jpg

DSC_0927.jpg

Best wishes,

Grant

I happened to speak to a railfan who said that the crowd wasn't as large as previous send off crowds, about half the size.

Maybe they were all in Northern Tohoku to see the end of ltd. express services on the Tohoku Main Line, before the opening of the Shinkansen to Shin Aomori...