Queensland Rail orders 3rd diesel tilt train set

bikkuri bahn

Here's a link to the manufacturers website for a start. The electric sets were based on JR Shikoku's 8000 series with modifications to suit local conditions.

http://www.downerediworks.com.au/Default.aspx?aCateId=1001

They state in it that QR has a fleet of six tilt trains instead of four but they appear to count each power car or locomotive of the diesel sets separately rather than as two trains with a power car on each end which is how they always run. The six car electrics were designed as pairs of single ended three car trains so there could be the option of adding extra cars in the middle but this was never done, although when I toured the factory when the trains were being built they showed us a wooden mock up of a sleeping car so that idea is nothing new under the sun. There is actually only one diesel set in operation at the moment as one power car is still out of service after a level crossing accident two years ago.

While it's good to see investment in passenger rail local feeling is that there is more than a bit of politics involved as the state government try to win back voters after the massively unpopular sell off of QR's freight business. The minister for transport was not long ago on record as being unhappy with the amount of subsidy country passenger trains were getting, now we're getting new trains but you don't look a gift horse in the mouth. A downside as far as railfans are concerned is that the new and upgraded tilt trains will mean the end of the diesel hauled Sunlander, and my feeling is that once it's gone the lightly patronised, and after the demise of the Sunlander somewhat orphaned Westlander and Inlander will not be far behind. There is also an argument that the money would be better spent first on track upgrades as on the line north of Rockhampton, and Townsville to Cairns in particular, the trains are unable to reach their full 160kmh potential because of much steam era track alignment remaining.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never travelled on the diesel tilt train, one reason being that sitting up in a coach for 24 hours never seemed an attractive proposition even when I can use my free pass, maybe when they get the sleepers I'll give it a try though no one will say yet what a sleeping berth will cost.

I would never have associated modern passenger trains with "street running" (I'm aware that Amtrak does this in Oakland, CA; I don't consider that a modern passenger train, but perhaps that's a narrow definition of "modern").

There's a prototype for everything.

I would never have associated modern passenger trains with "street running" (I'm aware that Amtrak does this in Oakland, CA; I don't consider that a modern passenger train, but perhaps that's a narrow definition of "modern").

There's a prototype for everything.

Before the cross streets were set up with flashing lights and gates in the 1990's every train to run over the section was given a hand bell which a crewman had to ring out of the cab window while running along the street.

Here's a link to the manufacturers website for a start.

Thank you very much!

I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never travelled on the diesel tilt train, one reason being that sitting up in a coach for 24 hours never seemed an attractive proposition even when I can use my free pass

I agree, a bit on the adventurous side (I thought 12+ hours on a coach seat on the express "Hakkoda" Ueno-Aomori back in the early nineties was the limit of my endurance).  

My wife and I took the Ocean and the Canadian from Moncton to Vancouver in 96, coach all the way.

5 days!.. (1 to Montreal, 1 Montreal - Toronto, 3 Toronto -> Vancouver!)

I think its something all Canadians should be made to do at least once in their life!

over 4000km by rail coach class.. I can't believe I survived and still love railways!  That said truly it was a magnificent trip and we only arrived back 23hrs late!

oh.. and did I mention is was winter..... -40 in Winnipeg when we got there...

I still have sores !

Mind you.. it only cost about $300 return fare to go

Graham

Samurai_Chris

Queensland claims itself as the "smart state"..

But diesel trains in this day and age?  Paaaaallllleeeeaaaasssseeeee.........

Two things QLD and Australia needs. A water pipeline from the north, and a Shinkansen style railway system.....

While we have a Labor Bligh government, Queensland will remain the richest state in Australia that is broke, and lost for idea's!

One of the reasons I am too scared to move back home.. High cost living. High taxes. And no services for my input!

Chris

My limit of endurance is decreasing with age, when I was younger I did a few trips from Brisbane to Cairns back when the Sunlander left Brisbane on Saturday evening and arrived in Cairns on the morning of the second day. For absolute madness I once did a trip from Brisbane to Adelaide and back with six consecutive nights sitting up on trains and the days riding trains and visiting hobby shops in Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide.

My greatest hope with the new trains though is not to do with comfort or technical advances but that they can come up with a better name. In the past name trains on the Brisbane-Rockhampton run have been the Rockhampton Mail (or the Rocky Mail as it was usually known), the Capricornian and the Spirit of Capricorn, from Brisbane to Townsville/Cairns we've had the Sunshine Express, the Sunlander, the Queenslander and the shortlived Spirit of the Tropics. These days the best the imaginative marketing geniuses can come up with is Tilt Train?

Queensland claims itself as the "smart state"..

But diesel trains in this day and age?  Paaaaallllleeeeaaaasssseeeee.........

Two things QLD and Australia needs. A water pipeline from the north, and a Shinkansen style railway system.....

While we have a Labor Bligh government, Queensland will remain the richest state in Australia that is broke, and lost for idea's!

One of the reasons I am too scared to move back home.. High cost living. High taxes. And no services for my input!

Chris

JR's Hokkaido and Shikoku do quite well with diesel tilt trains but I understand what you are saying.

These days the best the imaginative marketing geniuses can come up with is Tilt Train?

Perhaps they think the novelty the term implies will attract riders.  I must say I don't like the trend in American commuter rail and light rail to name services like some sports team, i.e. Coaster, Wave, Rail Runner, et al; not very dignified, IMO.  Though I don't like JR's habit of adding "Super" to a lot of established train names, either.  One of my favorites in the train name category is the James Whitcomb Riley- classy and relevant to the area the train ran through.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Whitcomb_Riley_%28train%29