New Kato D51

westfalen

Martijn Meerts

Looks nice.. Too bad I already have 2 of them with the same number (498).. Kato's Orient Express version, and a MicroAce version .. I really do hate having locomotives with the same road numbers =)

I wish Kato would re-release their HO D51.  Perhaps they don't because there are so many models of this type already out on the market, but it would be nice to have an example priced under 35000 yen or so- a C56 I pre-ordered for 26000 yen is due to ship this Friday.

Off topic... but Westfalen you might know the answer (or someone else will)

A lot of modelers who do N. American steam engines love Kato & MicroAce.....how do they change the design of the shell to fit the desired prototype they want in N. American design? (or do they??) 

This version is to 1/150 not 1/140 as with the old model. This matches their C62 model from 2008?

Tomix issued C57 135 also in 1/150 earlier this year so the trend seems to be towards closer scale steam models.

It will be interesting to see what Micro Ace will do?

Off topic... but Westfalen you might know the answer (or someone else will)

A lot of modelers who do N. American steam engines love Kato & MicroAce.....how do they change the design of the shell to fit the desired prototype they want in N. American design? (or do they??) 

Years ago before my first visit to Japan made me start to appreciate Japanese models for what they are and leave them as is I went down the path of Americanizing Kato steam locos. The main thing I did, and which IMHO made quite a difference to the appearance, was to change the front end by replacing the British looking smokebox door with one sliced off an old Bachmann shell and add a Micro-Trains pilot. I never tried to match a specific prototype, they all got lettered for my own Westfalen & Gulf Railway.

I've got the Orient Express version of D51 498 but I can see myself getting one of the new ones and weathering it up a bit to put it to work hauling steam era freight.

It will be interesting to see how DCC friendly they've made it.

Bernard, I don't know about N.American modellers, but here in Australia there are a number of modellers who have converted Japanese locos to models of Australian prototype. They typically remove the existing shell and just use the mechanism. The best known of these modellers is Phil Badger, who has produced etched brass kits for a number of Australian locos. Others have scratchbuilt new shells, or cast them in resin.

Cheers,

Mark.

Claude_Dreyfus

The Kato model is beautiful, with plenty of fine detail and a decent haulage capacity. My one, however, has encountered a serious issue, which I am not sure if it is just for my example, or a wider issue.

The side rods are extremely fine, however I have found that they do seem to ware a fetr a while and jam up. My one was used fairly regularly, and espeically heavily during exhibitions. I did need to admonish some of my collegaue for an over liberal use of the controller, which cannot have helped, but it is now unservicable owing to the rod connectors loosing their integrity following a number of repairs.

Essentially, when the rods seize up, the only way to fix it is to dismantle the side motion and then reassemble it. It is a fiddle task, and one fraught with danger as some of the bits are really small.

Anyone else had similar issues? As I said, it could be just my model, or the fact is has had heavy use - although that surely cannot be the reason, can it? - or a more widespread issue.

Guest Closed Account 1

Nope. No issues yet.  See if you can get replacement parts. I bet the restored alignment and tolerences will make a difference.

I haven't run my new ones yet apart from up and down a few feet long test test track but D51 498 has put in a few hours at the club and train shows with no problems yet. (He said as he crossed his fingers)

Kato recently released the standard model of the D51 too. But did the standard D51's actually have snowplows on the front? And if they did, are they available to install on the Kato model?

I just have something for steam locos with snowplows, so I'm curious about this.

bikkuri bahn

Kato recently released the standard model of the D51 too. But did the standard D51's actually have snowplows on the front? And if they did, are they available to install on the Kato model?

I just have something for steam locos with snowplows, so I'm curious about this.

Some did, some didn't.  I suppose some were added/removed as necessary.  It seems the "standard" refers to the steam dome- the overwhelming majority of D51's were of this type, as opposed to the "namekuji" and "kamaboko" type domes.

You can add a snowplow to your model:

http://www.hs-tamtam.co.jp/item-63155.html

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/satomiyu0628/4919444.html

I didn't really knew about that, I thought they referred to it as "standard" because the D51 498 is a recent museum version (if I'm right). I really have only seen the standard kind of dome on photos though.

Good to know that it's possible to add one. I assume you just have to click it in, but you don't probably know either.

Guest Closed Account 1

Each Steamer comes with a real front coupler to replace the dummy coupler.

You have to use the cowplow/snowplow with it.

Looks goofy with the plow following the couple like that left and right.