Please Critique my layout

SubwayHypes

this is my first rough sketch idea of my eventual layout.  nothing too crazy, im hoping for 4 independant tracks, 2 lines on a double track commuter set using KatoV11.  A single outer unitrack will encircle the whole display.  A small inner unitrack will go under the elevated double track, then come back across and using Kato V3 a train yard will be displayed in the foreground, with the elevated rail behind it.

layoutsketch1.jpg

please let me know what you guys think.  the part im still rough on is that left side of the layout where my unitrack lines go under the elevated double track, then double back again.

i reworked the left side  a little bit.  the inner unitrack will have to be on a tight curve to fit underneath the double track above it.  im going to extend the left side of the double track by adding a straight track between the turns.

layout2.jpg

let me know if any of you have a similar set up or if my angles are wrong.  thanks.

Hi Subway - One thing I need to know is the dimensions of your layout, what you plan to run, how high is the elevation. One of the reasons I'm asking is to get a better idea of the what the size of your yard should be. What I did on my track layout plan I used graph paper so that 1 square inch equaled 1 square foot. In my first attempt at my layout the yard was too small to stage most of the bullet trains I would run.

I see in the plan that you can change trains on the outer loop only from the yard, lets see if its possible to get your yard to also connect to the inner loop also so you have the option to change trains lines there as well.

I wish I had a program that can illustrate what I'm about to describe.

What about moving your yard so that it is on the same side as your stations? You would also do crossover turnouts between your 3 main lines. This way by putting the yard where the stations are, you can have access in and out onto the main lines in any direction. (There would be 2 main turnouts where trains can enter and leave the yard in any direction.)

yea i was thinking about switching it to the station side too.

my first mission is to find a better table because my current one barely fits the smallest curve.

as of now i only have the V11 double track set. 

you can use Mspaint for illustration i use it all the time to put my ideas down on paper.

I used Xtrkcad to get a proper size scale. It's very helpful, with it, I know exactly how much track to buy to fill my baseboard. It can also help you work out the required curve radius.

Of course, it you already have the track, you can do the reverse, lay the track and find out how big of a base you need  ;D

yea im still finalizing all that.  im in the middle of a move to a new house where i am going to set up another big table.

im thinking that for the outer track i will use the M2 unitrack kit and use seperate used track from ebay to expand it to fit around the whole layout.  i want this outter track to go aroundt he edge of the whole layout.

the next tracks will be the double track.  it will be elevated in the  background of the layout.

the final inner track will be a small one that is linked to the yard and the other tracks.  it will probably be a M1 layout.

I scrapped my ideas for an elevated track in the background and instead im going to do a double decker layout with an underground pass.  Im hoping to buy the table and start installing things by the end of the year.