JR Kyushu/West announce service name for the fastest trains on Sanyo/Kyushu shin

According to Japan Railfan News  the new service will run between Shin-Osaka and Kagoshima Chuo on Kyushu island taking around 3hrs45min for the almost 900km long trip.

The other known service name is Sakura which makes me wonder about the stopping pattern (number of stops).

If you compare with Sanyo shinkansen would this mean:

Nozomi equals Mizuho

Hikari/Hikari Rail Star equals Sakura

Kodama/Tsubame remains unchanged?

For me this would be most logical solution. I can’t imagine a market for trains stopping all stations on Kyushu AND Sanyo shinkansen.

Also I’m a bit worried that Mizuho services won’t be covered by Japan Rail Pass…

I guess the info is available in Japanese. If any is interested AND manages Japanese: Let us know! Thank you!

I cannot wait for the service to be online.  I am sadden but not surprised that Mizuho will not be covered by the Japan Rail Pass.  As far as l know, I thought Nozomi was not covered by the Japan Rail Pass too.

I cannot wait for the service to be online.  I am sadden but not surprised that Mizuho will not be covered by the Japan Rail Pass.  As far as l know, I thought Nozomi was not covered by the Japan Rail Pass too.

You are correct about the Nozomi. It severely restricts your travel options especially if you want to travel between the JR Central and JR west areas as the only through trains that go the whole distance are Nozomis. For instance of you want to go from Kyoto to Hiroshima (a trip tourists are likely to do) the only non-Nozomi services for the whole day are three Hikaris at 0720, 0802 and 0820. I know it's easy to change trains at Shin Kobe where everything uses the same platform but how many novice, non-railfan travellers are discouraged.

The other aspect of new Shinkansen lines that affects rail pass users is the growing trend for parallel 3'6" gauge lines to be sold off to private operators who do not accept rail passes. Not good if you want to take your time and see the scenery from somewhere other than inside a tunnel.

What kind of rolling stock can we expect to see on Kyushu? Only 700N (the future light blue one) and 800 series?

According to the Japan Railfan News, Mizuho services will use N700-8000 stock which belong to JR Kyushu. Sakura services will use N700-7000 and -8000 stock (-7000' units belong to JR West). There is no visible difference between the two types.

By the way: Tomix will release the JR West version (N700-7000) soon

http://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/kettei/seihinkakettei.htm#20100824

The other type sould be the 800 series 'Tsubame'.

The services will start March 12 next year.  Mizuho will have 2 RT services in the morning and 2 in the evening, targeting the business customer.

This chart shows the pattern of services on the Kyushu shinkansen portion:

http://www.asahi.com/national/gallery_e/view_photo.html?national-pg/1020/SEB201010200034.jpg

Basically, in addition to the 4 daily RT of Mizuho, there is a hourly Shin-Osaka to Kagoshima Chuo Sakura service, an hourly Hakata-Kagoshima Chuo Sakura service, an hourly Hakata-Kagoshima Chuo Tsubame service, and 2 services per hour each of Sakura/Tsubame between Hakata and Kumamoto.