Foreign Tourist Hot Spot: Himeji Station

bikkuri bahn

According to a morning news report a couple of days ago, the shinkansen platforms at Himeji Station have become popular for foreign tourists who want to see shinkansen trains passing through at 300km/h or thereabouts.  Why Himeji?- probably because it is one of the few shinkansen stations foreign tourists alight from that has passing trains, as most probably get off at the big ones (Kyoto, Shin Osaka, etc) where all services stop.

This excited young woman seems impressed (don't know if it's Himeji, but it's a JR West station):

• Like 3
ShinCanadaSen

When I was in japan in '96 we visited Himeji to visit the castle. On our way home we were waiting for our 0 series local when a 500 blew through the station just like this. It was awesome. I was surprised because although it was loud there really wasn't much wind generated by it going by.

I've never gotten girls that excited taking them to railway stations in Brisbane. ???

Hamamatsu is another good place but because it's in JR Central territory you don't get the variety of trains.

Train buffs or speed addicts?

Well. I think that's the first time I saw a girl that excited about a train and that even know the name of JR's Shinkansen services with the related types of trains.

For what we could see this station could be anywhere on JR West network. Remind me the day I went out at Fukuyama instead of Okoyama. I had time to see some Nozomi services rush passt me. I even let the first Kodama service without me to hop on the next Hikari Rail Star so I had more time to spot trains.

I like catching Kodama services even though they take longer because if you ride in the rear car you can get out at stops and watch the Nozomis and Hikaris flash past.

I like to take the Kodama services also, not just for the chance to get off and see the passing trains, but also because it gives you a first hand view of how the operations work (service patterns, frequencies of trains) on that stretch of railway.  Same goes for the zairai (1067mm) lines- you get a more intimate view of the line, and especially on a single track line, it's just fun to pull into a station siding and wait for the ltd. express to pass by.

Nah.. The best spot... Shin-Osaka.. Where Hikari trains from Tokyo will go into the shed and taken out of service. I have taken a video in HD. Will show you guys if I can manage that.

Nah.. The best spot... Shin-Osaka.. Where Hikari trains from Tokyo will go into the shed and taken out of service. I have taken a video in HD. Will show you guys if I can manage that.

But you don't feel the earth shake as they pass through at full speed. :grin

qwertyaardvark

Why Himeji?- probably because it is one of the few shinkansen stations foreign tourists alight from that has passing trains, as most probably get off at the big ones (Kyoto, Shin Osaka, etc) where all services stop.

Funny you mention that... For my first trip to Japan, this is indeed station where i saw my first shinkansen-passing-thru-at-full-speed moment if only because i also stopped there for Himeji-jo. :grin It was from then on i was enamored by shinkansen and then Japanese trains in general, so Himeji station has a special place in my heart :)

Here's my video of Hamamatsu. On my recent trip two Japan a couple of friends and I spent a couple of hours watching trains at Hamamatsu station. When you get bored with shinkansen the 3'6" station is on the other side of the fence with a frequent parade of locals and freight but for the purposes of this thread I've edited out all that and left the express shinkansens.

• Like 2