TomyTec's New Rice Fields

riced.jpg

HobbySearch's image doesn't do these new rice fields any justice. I ordered two of these mats for under ten dollars each. I wasn't exactly how large they were, but was surprised to realize A4 is almost legal paper size.  Now, all I need to do is figure out how to place it in my layout. ^_^ also I need is a few farmers, and a way to convince Jeff in to making some dykes for realism. Will update to the blog once I start to play with the sheets.

Samurai_Chris

That's the set that I posted pictures of in the Rice Planting thread....

There is also a "Before planting" set as well...

PS: I got to ad that the planted sheet looks nothing like a newly planted rise field.. The blue water is simply not believable..

I know because I live in rice fields. It just doesn't look like that.. Although, the pre-planted brown sheet is spot on...

Chris

I just got mine and pretty disappointed in them. i agree with chris that the newly planted looks goofy with the bright blue, perhaps at a distance it might look ok. the fall ones are better, but would be harvested rice i think with just the stumps left there like less than 1 scale foot high.

cheers

jeff

Yeah i took the chance on the preorder, should have waited! you could do this very easily yourself with a piece of chipboard and laying down rows of glue and sprinkling ground foam on them! really disappointed in tomytec with these! i figured they would have has some cool way to do real grown rice plants or just planted seedlings nice and evenly w/o having to try the poke in individual plants yourself!

oh well live and learn.

cheers

jeff

Samurai_Chris

The water in these fields is dark and murky.. Not aqua blue like on The Great Barrier Reef..

If anything, I would go with a dark grey or black glass like finish, because they actually let off a huge reflection if you are looking at them at the right angle (or wrong angle if you are driving home from work at the wrong time of the afternoon from the sun)

I have got one of each when it was pre-orderable (1 Autumn rice field and 1 Spring rice field) I have only placed the Autumn rice field onto a corner module layout (this can be seen on the Australian Japanese Model Railway Group website event photos section in the Sandown 2011 folder) it doesn't look that bad for a the Autumn rice field but wondering what I can do for the spring rice field. the Tomytech figures you need are numbers #001, 002 and 003 farmers.