Type 0 shinkansen in plastic HO

harukablue

My first train in Christmas 1978 was a 0 series from Lima  :icon_santa:

still run but is little bit yellowed

I have now on pre-order the new Z scale 0 series form Platz, but if someone make a new 0 series in H0, I buy it!

ciao

Massimo

bikkuri bahn

April 2011. Four cars 47,250 Yen.  Ouch!!

Yes, by N scale pricing standards, but in HO scale plastic, just a little bit on the high side of reasonable (a single Tenshodo HO scale plastic steamer is about the same price).  The firm is Zoukei-mura, a maker primarily of super detailed military models.  Kato, which is a high volume maker (relatively) of HO scale models, has pricing ~26000 yen for a 4 car kiha 80 set, and I presume this shinkansen set will be produced in fewer numbers than those, so the maker has to recoup their development costs by offering it at this price.

bikkuri bahn

two videos of the product debut: poor sound and I can barely make out what the rapid fire spokesman was saying:

Anyway, for those who don't want to bother seeing the whole thing, here is my summary:

-this is the first product of Zoukei-mura's new model railway product line, called "Super Rail Series"

-after this product, at least two more releases are planned of other rolling stock

-the units have 21 pin DCC sockets

-will be available for purchase exclusively at Volks Hobbysquare and "friendshop"(?) stores nationwide

leaflet details:

http://photozou.jp/photo/photo_only/178881/48590020

The price isn't really out of line.  I paid $70.00 a car for my Rapido New have coaches recently and that is without motors or end cab detail.  But the detail on those coaches equals anything I have ever seen on a HO scale car. Looking at Katsumi's latest, a brass set would go for 40,000 yen a coach, 60,000 yen for a powered coach  and  80,000 yen for the cab cars. If this 0 set  is as good as my New Haven coaches they will be well worth the price.

I believe the Model Power 0 series is just a repaint of the Lima set. Does anyone remember Playart? They made one in HO as well. I remember these were heavily advertised in Model Railroader by a train shop in Brooklyn in the 80s.

bikkuri bahn
I hope not all their releases are going to be Shinkansen,

Yes, hopefully this release is successful enough for them to consider some other types.  If they want to continue in the historical vein, a Hatsukari kiha 80 set with the bulldog nose would be nice (with a lift up hood to reveal the DMH17).

...Does anyone remember Playart?...

I've just been to a model train swap meet this weekend and picked up a dirt-cheap 4-car PlayArt Series 0 Shinkansen set. The pantos are a little shabby, the headlights shine out the nose due to translucent plastic and the colouring is fading... but it's pretty cool for it's age.

I'll post images here when I find a good backdrop.

The new version above looks much more detailed though.

bikkuri bahn
the headlights shine out the nose due to translucent plastic

On the original 0 series trainsets, the nose cone tips actually were semi-translucent acrylic, and if not actually lighted, were lit from behind by light spilling from the adjacent headlight housings.  This no longer occurred with the replacement with FRP cones.

http://livedoor.2.blogimg.jp/kasumiss/imgs/6/9/69723c7c.jpg