Tomix - Announces N700 Sakura

Krackel Hopper

Krackel Hopper

I got both the Tomix 500 and 800 "Tsubame" starter sets so that I could take advantage of the extra track and controllers.. I plan on picking up the N700 next month for yet another controller, and the chance to have my first go at transforming it from an N700-3000 to an N700-8000 Sakura (My daughters name)... Will be repainting and doing the decals myself...

Not trying to hijack the thread, or steer you away from a project, but Tomix has announced they will be producing the N700 Sakura.. just in case you were not aware of this..

20100826tmx05.jpg

Samurai_Chris

I got both the Tomix 500 and 800 "Tsubame" starter sets so that I could take advantage of the extra track and controllers.. I plan on picking up the N700 next month for yet another controller, and the chance to have my first go at transforming it from an N700-3000 to an N700-8000 Sakura (My daughters name)... Will be repainting and doing the decals myself...

Not trying to hijack the thread, or steer you away from a project, but Tomix has announced they will be producing the N700 Sakura.. just in case you were not aware of this..

20100826tmx05.jpg

Thanks mate. Knew about that.. But as a custom model builder, I wanted the challenge of doing something different!

I didn't know they planned to make the N700 Sakura! ^_^

Probably one of the next ones I'll get then (after the 500 of course ;-) ).

I just saw a little bit of it when I went to the Hakata-Minami depot:

4534091891_e27db6f774.jpg

N700 Sakura series at Hakata-Minami depot by loriskumo, on Flickr

They still didn't announce the E5?

Tomix and Kato and Micro Ace will make everything Shinkansen... Eventually. Honestly the only model that *really* lagged behind in terms of in service date and model release date was the E4. For some inexplicable reason, it took them what, 6 years to get it out?

Tomix will probably release the shrunken down 8 car 500 series soon. It's mostly just changes to pantograph cars and roof equipment. I am surprised though that no one has announced the E3-2000 yet (the refreshed Tsubasa).

Krackel Hopper

Tomix and Kato and Micro Ace will make everything Shinkansen... Eventually. Honestly the only model that *really* lagged behind in terms of in service date and model release date was the E4. For some inexplicable reason, it took them what, 6 years to get it out?

Tomix will probably release the shrunken down 8 car 500 series soon. It's mostly just changes to pantograph cars and roof equipment. I am surprised though that no one has announced the E3-2000 yet (the refreshed Tsubasa).

Very true, the bullet trains are something of a guarantee success for Kato, Tomix & MicroAce.  At this point in time (and for the foreseeable future) I don't have space for a 16 car bullet train.  I am rather anxiously awaiting someone to release an 8 car 500 series.  I wish Kato/Tomix would have sold their 500 Series (or any series for that matter) with an 8 car set that gives you both pantograph cars.  As it stands, to get 2 pantograph cars, you need to purchase the full 16 car set (this is true for the 500, 700, N700)

I don't model any specific region (although, it'd be Kyushu or Hokkaido if I were forced to pick).. so I will probably seriously consider the E5 and E6 once those get announced too.  I have the Tomix Hikari Railstar (8 car set) on pre-order for the December re-release :)

Currently I only own the Tomix 923 Dr. Yellow.. but I'd like to get an E3 & E4 too..

Anything in the 8 car range, as that's about the max I can run without the train chasing it's tail.

Samurai_Chris

Mate, you could go with my favourite train, the Kato 800 Tsubame? Its an eight car set, and in my opinion the nicest looking Shinkansen.. If you could get your hands on a new Tomix set then good luck. But I have heard some good things about the Kato version aswell.. I plan on getting the Kato set at some stage, as I simply can't find the 5 piece set to go with my Tomix 3 piece starter set..

Kyushu will also be introducing the Sakura N700-7000/8000 early next year, and it will be an 8 carraige train, so look out for the Tomic release next year..

Chris

Martijn Meerts

The 800s are 6-car sets actually :)

The Kato one runs really well and looks really good too. I have a Tomix as well but haven't run it much yet. It definitely wouldn't look out of place on any layout, the colors on the thing are just excellent.

Samurai_Chris

The Kato one runs really well and looks really good too. I have a Tomix as well but haven't run it much yet. It definitely wouldn't look out of place on any layout, the colors on the thing are just excellent.

Oh yes it is.. My bad!

Thats probably because they have been running on half a track until now! :grin

Samurai_Chris

Do you have the Tomix 8 car set, and are you willing to sell for that "superior" Kato set?

Martijn Meerts

Do you have the Tomix 8 car set, and are you willing to sell for that "superior" Kato set?

I have the 6-car Tomix set, not the 2x3-car set. I bought the 6-car set (supposedly a limited, or at least single-run-only edition) because it has a different road number compared to the Kato (U002 vs. U005, can't remember which has what number though :))

The reason the Tomix hasn't run much is because I have no layout (yet) that can run it, other than a simple oval. The reason the Kato has run relatively much, is because it was my first Japanese shinkansen, first Japanese train overal, first Japanese train to be get 3 dcc decoders (1 motor, 2 function) and first Japanese train to receive interior lights =)

I'm not planning on selling the Tomix set, but I'm certain the 2x3-car set will be getting a new production run at some point. You could ask Heiko Stoll at japanmodelrailways.de about the add-on, he's been able to get me some harder-to-get items that were sold out everywhere else. He's not necessarily the cheapest, but it's worth a shot.

I am hoping it's still September release (or later) as I already have it on pre-order. I really can't spend anymore right now hahaha.

I am hoping it's still September release (or later) as I already have it on pre-order. I really can't spend anymore right now hahaha.

Me too!!!

but I hope that's the last for this year.

Including this one and the new paint Kato 800 on pre-order, I think I've half of the real Sanyo/Kyushu fleet

Ciao

Massimo

Martijn Meerts

I still have a ton on pre-order.. For this month the MicroAce 9600 and 15-car coal transport cars, for September the N700-8000 limited edition, 35th anniversary cleaning car, brown cleaning car + ED61 set and the dark blue MicroAce DE10, and for December all 18 cars of the Morning Daylight...

Considering I also recently bought a house which I'll be moving into in October most likely, it's going to be an expensive 2nd half of the year =)

(Not to mention we're starting a new layout, which is going to cost a lot as well :))

I could also fall for a 800 Series, but I want the Tomix one. I'll wait a bit!

Also longing for a 500 series with all wheels power pickup.

Mine's on pre-order too.  Along with 2 x Ginza line sets, special 35th track cleaning car, brown track cleaning car with loco, 923 Dr Yellow (full set) .... in fact, I've got so much on order that I've blown the 2011 budget back in May.  I can't buy any more until Congress approved the increase in US debt to $21b .... and I'm an Australian!!!!!

Cheers

The_Ghan