2010 Project Party - Closed!

Krackel Hopper

Krackel Hopper

I would like to thank all those who participated in the Summer 2010 Project Party.

Since nobody completed the project party, there will be no need for voting.  The real world interfered with us (a car accident in my case) a little too much.  While no projects were complete, I still feel like this project party was successful on some levels.  This project party got people thinking, I heard a number of great ideas for station designs and a handful of people made a good chunk of progress towards creating their station.

I do question the effectiveness of a Project Party for our model railroading forum.  I realize these parties are usually done on modeling forums where people have a specific kit (or maybe scratch built) idea that they will be completing.  Whereas us model railroaders have a bigger task involving foam, plastic, track & wiring, not to mention the space requirements to build anything.  I don't think a project party is a lost cause, but I wonder if there is a more inviting way of presenting the party to 1) get more participants, and 2) scale the project to a much more reasonable time table.  

I've seen a number of these small dioramas on Yahoo Auctions JP, would people be interested in doing a Project Party in more of a diorama scene?  Something like this?  Photo pulled from Yahoo Auctions JP:

dd51_ef58-img600x450-1277041663jqprml19253.jpg

I do hope we have another Project Party here, as I think it really helps generate interest and enthusiasm for model railroading.  I've heard a number of people talk about all their buildings and kits that will someday be built.  These parties are a perfect excuse to blow the dust off those old boxes and finally do something with them!

I look forward to the next great Project Party idea and I look forward to participating in that project!

Again, thank you all for keeping the idea alive!

Jon

Doing exactly the same thing is not something I think I'd go for, there needs to be some element of individual choice, otherwise it would feel far more like a competition. After doing this project I think the scope for the party may have been too wide given peoples time. Unless it was a box that came with all the pieces (i.e. everything short of tweasers and glue) I think a diorama would probably still be too big to get a good party. Even small things end up taking a lot of time. One thought for future project party plans would if if the project can be done in pieces - rather then the project remaining obviously "incomplete" until the last piece is attached, is it something where you can step back at frequent intervals and say "It's done until I decide to add/improve upon it".

KenS recently did a 'detailing' of one of his trains - lighting, painted seats, figures. Maybe he could comment on the time span for a project like that (I believe detailing a train was one project party suggestion).

Krackel Hopper

I agree, doing exactly the same thing would not really be fun.  I wasn't meaning a diorama exactly like the one pictured, I was just thinking a mini-scene of some sort.  Something like a 1 sq ft footprint, so people could do a square or a long narrow scene.  You are also right in that even a small scene like that could require a lot of time and effort.

I am not sure how many people would be willing to participate in detailing trains.  While I think some detailed trains look nice, that is something I am not sure I am ready to do.  I have seen plenty of detailed/weathered trains on Ebay that were done with some poor quality results.  I am too afraid of ruining an expensive train.  Although I suppose if we did a party like this I could use a Greenmax kit train or get some cheaper passenger or freight cars to detail.

I would certainly like to see another project party, once we get a solid idea with a reasonable scope!

Jon

One of the concepts for the original project party was to work on a project that you've been putting off. For me it would be adding structures to my layout. (or those barren areas of you layout, model kits you have stored away, etc.) It doesn't have to be a theme, just doing projects that you've been putting off.

For me the party was doing quite well....members started and worked on projects, they might not have finished in the allotted time period, but they might finish at a later date.

KenS recently did a 'detailing' of one of his trains - lighting, painted seats, figures. Maybe he could comment on the time span for a project like that (I believe detailing a train was one project party suggestion).

Hmm. Well, I probably spent more time thinking about what I wanted than the actual work, which was relatively simple (and crude, when you get right down to it). Painting the figures was a couple of hours work, mostly setup, as all I did was spray paint them gray and daub some black on the heads (but there were a lot of heads  :grin ).  Painting the interior was likewise an evening for the floors and a second for the seats (and I could have done it in one if I'd had a few more hours). Adding all the decals was perhaps a fourth evening (I did it over two nights, but some of that was learning how to do it right).

The reallly hard part was adding the lighting units, but even with re-working several of them that probably took less than a week of evenings.  If I'd done all of it in one go, it might have taken two weeks to do everything.  So even assuming you took more care, and spent more time, even a fairly large train could probably be done in a couple of months of occaisional evenings.

"Adding Detail" could be a more general project as well.  Trains, a commercial street, residential block or one large building (like the Kato 8-storey buildings that came out this summer), or a station platform (as Don is doing) could all fit under that general topic.

I had a massive influx of real life that interfered with my participation in the project this time around, as well, but I found it far from worthless. The planning I did and all the preparation made is still there, and is still going to result in a finished layout.

I think part of the problem is that layouts are a grand project, often with a years long time frame. It's too much for a 1 month project, unless we focus on something quite small. Maybe we could consider something longer term? 6 months, or a year, with updates every month, instead of a month with updates every week?

I created actually about 3 station modules thanks to this project, but I wasn't satisfied with all of 'em, so I'm continuing on my quest. At least it got me started again in building an actual layout (in modules) and I enjoyed it lots! A good boost it was :)

well I didn't complete the station module.. but the project party did get me moving and I completed the viaduct module, which I'm sure I wouldn't have without this so thanks!!!

Graham

hi everyone,

I am probably the worst, as I didn't get anything build up at this party :|

Yeah, at the end, just simply didn't have any spare time.

but I still think these parties are worth having  ... I won't hesitate in joining the next one! And I will get something build ;)

--Andy

Did not enter this one because I knew I had other things not train related..

However in the week after the party finished I ended up dismantling my B Train Layout, Started building a British style goods yard as a 3'0" x 8" module.  Track is laid, Real crushed granite ballast laid, Yard lights installed but not yet wired.