Mumbai.

Mudkip Orange

Crush loading on the Mumbai western line is 1/3rd greater (in passengers per square meter) than the Yamanote Line.

No pushers are needed, as the Indians are quite self-sufficient in this regard.

With the upgrading of catenary from 1500 VDC to 25 kV AC, the railways have recently taken a zero tolerance approach to roof riders. Hanging off the sides is still expected, however.

Of course one lost grip can prove fatal. Falls from moving trains kill 3 passengers a day, and injure many more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Nm5kGok-l8

You may have also noticed that the trains have cowcatchers...

These are not there for cows.

Over 10 pedestrians die on the tracks in Mumbai every day, and if the trains stopped for every fatality the system would grind to a halt. Metal gratings over the driver's windows (seen in previous videos) offer the operators additional protection from the occasional flying body parts.

This gives me a detailing idea.  I've got some extra Yamanote line cars from years ago and a couple hundred of Jeff's favorite inexpensive Chinese figures.  Maybe I should see how many I can cram into a car - might make a nice scene for a photograph at a platform.

TestudoToTetsudo

This gives me a detailing idea.  I've got some extra Yamanote line cars from years ago and a couple hundred of Jeff's favorite inexpensive Chinese figures.  Maybe I should see how many I can cram into a car - might make a nice scene for a photograph at a platform.

Your quote brings back memories...

Last year in Japan I went for a spin on the Yamanote Line during the AM rush; when it got packed (with people pushers at some stations from Ueno to Hamamatsucho), I stood on my tippy-toes and counted heads...I got about 275 in a 4-door car...

Queensland Rail's over zealous health and safety people should be seconded to Indian Railways to give them something to really worry about.

Would N scale models of Indian trains be made smaller than 1/160 to depict the 5'6" gauge tracks the same way Japanese trains are 1/150 to represent narrow gauge?