JNS Facebook page

Here's a great example of why I hate my current field of photojournalism, and social media. http://nppa.org/news_and_events/news/2010/09/morel.html Swap Twitter for Facebook, and swap AFP for Reuters, and you'll see my issue with FB and right's grabbing. It also touches on Jeff's feelings on right's grabbing and the internet which lead to the policy we adopted on here when ever we post an image that was not created by the OP as to give credits to the image creator. (Something we've gotten lax on here)  Same rules on FB will apply except that FB is a third party site to which JNS admins must play down to.

Cell phones can locate where you are, especially those who use iPhone.  The cell phone provider can track the phone for security reason such as in stolen cell phone situations.  That information can be shared to police or maybe later to your favorite store(s) which you check off from some online registration that you would like offers from.

I just want to put these out there because the very moment that we use our free e-mail account, read our free newspaper, play our free online game, post our photos on free website, post our comments on free forum, we are already giving up some of our private information.  If you don't believe me, try Googling some of the question you asked here.  And who is to say that hobby shops from Japan or retailers or hobby manufacturers did not create an account here or at your favourite chat group and is now offering SAL shipping.  Nothing is free in this world, there is always a price or commitment or decision.

I think if you really want privacy, you can either unsubscribe yourself to any of the free online gadgets or online tools or you can work with the system but only provide limited information that you are willing to share.  For myself, I have 3 Facebook accounts to separate work, friends and family and games. I do the same for my e-mails, credit cards and many things online.

I also turn off AL data and 3G modes when I don't want tracked or better yet, leave the phone in the Jeep or the house if I want to go "off-line" Frankly, I think that's part of the problem in today's society, especially the younger generation is that they really are all too willing to give away privacy in exchange for cool or staying connected. Essentially we're living in the 21st century version of Big Brother.

Ok, not going to get into semantics now, so I have created a facebook group.  For those who are interested please visit http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=152718551426681 and email me at the Yahoo email address.  Once accepted you will be able to post blogs, pictures and vodeos as you wish.  The page points prospective members to this forum so we will have to see how effective the www is!

I don't expect everyone to like this but no body is under any pressure to join whatsoever.

I will make Toni an officer once he contacts the page and would be grateful for one other volunteer.

The page is completely blank at the moment, hopefully that will change in the near future

I notice you've got to sign up to view the page. I'm reluctant to sign up to FB. I did once a year or so ago just to see what it was all about. After a couple of days of realising how useless it was I canceled my account because I immediately started getting swamped with emails telling me I had won the Nigerian national lottery and the like, the Yahoo email account I gave FB was a new one I created just for the occasion and not used for anything else.

Okay, joined. I'll spread the word to my contacts, 'friends' and real friends on FB. In the meantime, let's think about a logo to recognise us for people.

I notice you've got to sign up to view the page. I'm reluctant to sign up to FB. I did once a year or so ago just to see what it was all about. After a couple of days of realising how useless it was I canceled my account because I immediately started getting swamped with emails telling me I had won the Nigerian national lottery and the like, the Yahoo email account I gave FB was a new one I created just for the occasion and not used for anything else.

OMG, I get so many of those a day, and I am required by the Coast Guard to forward them to PE for Homeland Security, it's a real pain too since my POP3 is inbound only, (No outbound SMTP) becasue of Verizon.

One of the down sides of Facebook I'm afraid, which is why it is only there to compliment this forum and hopefully attract more members and more information.

There is now a link to the JNSwiki pages and also a facebook group all about JR signals

If it takes your fancy you could create an account with gmail or hushmail or one of the other smaller providers, just let us know it is you when you join the page.

I have had a question about why it is a closed forum and you have to email the admin for permission to join.  A couple of reasons, it should prevent the page getting hit by worms and spammers, also because there is a link to this forum, hopefully it will prevent crap getting on here too.  I realise that may be an inconvenience for some, having to wait until one of the admins let you join, but please realise it is purely a little bit of protection.

I would be grateful if there was someone from Asia or America who would consider becoming an admin, this would give better time zone coverage

One of the down sides of Facebook I'm afraid, which is why it is only there to compliment this forum and hopefully attract more members and more information.

There is now a link to the JNSwiki pages and also a facebook group all about JR signals

If it takes your fancy you could create an account with gmail or hushmail or one of the other smaller providers, just let us know it is you when you join the page.

I have had a question about why it is a closed forum and you have to email the admin for permission to join.  A couple of reasons, it should prevent the page getting hit by worms and spammers, also because there is a link to this forum, hopefully it will prevent crap getting on here too.  I realise that may be an inconvenience for some, having to wait until one of the admins let you join, but please realise it is purely a little bit of protection.

I would be grateful if there was someone from Asia or America who would consider becoming an admin, this would give better time zone coverage

I can tell ya right now, we get a fair\ share of spammers on here too, the leadership team has been pretty good on controlling it, but I recall there was a time about a year ago where we were getting hit pretty hard with them spammers. Also, note a lot of spammers request to join FB pages under pretense of being legit only to spam the moment they are granted access. We're having that problem right now on the Hipstamatic page. It made so little difference that they removed the "REQUEST TO JOIN" function off as they only lost more time manually approving everyone. I don't think that will be an issue here though. 

PS- I put in a join request two days ago and heard nothing back to the JNS page.

never join fb with your main email account. it can be a total disaster. also if you want to stay under the radar on fb dont use your main email as well as fb asks folks if they want to search their email contacts for anyone that is on fb with that email. i have always used burner accounts for each client to manage their stuff. i had one that i used for personal stuff when friend insisted i look at photos and such there. it was using a burner account and somehow a couple of years back my main email account got linked to that fb account, have no idea how that happened, but then i got friended out the wazoo even though im on there as a total nondeplume and a joke one at that (wanted to see if i would get busted or not, but never have).

every burner account is only used for the fb stuff and all begin to get spam w/in a month. not sure how that happens as they are not public on fb and dont use it for contact w/ others, just to log in to review and edit things.

cheers

jeff

ps there was a great nyt article a few weeks ago on the social media erasure machine that you enter your user ids and pswds into and it one by one goes in and blows away every photo, message, contact, and account for you. tries to erase your tracks as best as possible and you get to see it as it does it.

Lots of good discussion on facebook here. I'm on it, even though I'm pretty paranoid. I don't have much info or any good pictures of me on it. I'm one of those people that uses cash only so that nobody can trace my whereabouts or purchasing habits. I'd have a lot more shinkansen if I didn't have to buy them online. :laugh: I have NO shopper rewards cards, and never give my phone number when I go to the store. I don't know how many times I've been at a store and the person in front of me is buying a pack of diapers or something and they give the clerk their phone number so they can enter it into the store's database. That said, I do see how fb can be annoying. I've got a couple of friends that seem to post every time they scratch their rear ends. I don't care!

Like some have mentioned, use a throwaway email address. I've had my 'friends and family' email addy for about 4 years now and I never get any spam on it. 

PS- I put in a join request two days ago and heard nothing back to the JNS page.

PM sent

I just got it. For some reason a lot of times, my PM notifications do not make it to my inbox on my pop3.

Me, I don't mind using my primary email address, and putting a lot of personal info up on FB. But I also don't mind reviewing the privacy settings very closely, ensuring that only those I want to have that information will have it. The result is no FB-generated spam, or account compromises (as has happened to many of my FB friends), but the advantages of FB for communicating with others.

Not that I think people should have to scrutinize the obscure privacy settings once a month like I do, but if you're willing to put in the effort, the payoff isn't so bad, really.

Just a different point of view on FB :D

I use facebook a lot, both personally and professionally and even if I think this is a great idea I have some comments:

You should let it open a lot more: this is not a club nor a personal page, this is a facebook page. Anyone should be able to see the pictures, the comments and the content without having to be a member. If I didn't knew it was the page of the forum, I would never have asked to be a member.

This take me to the second point: asking to be a member? This should be more open. The aim is to let people know the forum and on a larger side this specific hobby (no so common for US or European people to like japanese trains). So leave it open!

Last but not least: you should use a profile picture specific to the forum (for example the banner), it's not a JR fan page but a JNS Forum fan page.

That's it. This is just my opinion, take it or leave it. I asked to be a member anyway, but I just wanted to give some advices about the page.  :cheesy

And pardon me if I?m wrong about the point of this FB page, I just took the link and not read all that was said about it.  :grin

I use facebook a lot, both personally and professionally and even if I think this is a great idea I have some comments:

You should let it open a lot more: this is not a club nor a personal page, this is a facebook page. Anyone should be able to see the pictures, the comments and the content without having to be a member. If I didn't knew it was the page of the forum, I would never have asked to be a member.

This take me to the second point: asking to be a member? This should be more open. The aim is to let people know the forum and on a larger side this specific hobby (no so common for US or European people to like japanese trains). So leave it open!

Last but not least: you should use a profile picture specific to the forum (for example the banner), it's not a JR fan page but a JNS Forum fan page.

That's it. This is just my opinion, take it or leave it. I asked to be a member anyway, but I just wanted to give some advices about the page.  :cheesy

And pardon me if I?m wrong about the point of this FB page, I just took the link and not read all that was said about it.  :grin

Kumo, I am grateful for your comments and if you would allow I will try answer some of the points you raised.

You are correct it is not a club nor a personal page and whilst the idea was to encourage people to visit the jns forum and indeed acts as a portal to it, the title is Japanese Railways & Japanese Railway Modelling.  The reason for making it a closed group and people having to request to join is purely to prevent the page getting hit with a lot of spam and a level of protection for those already joined, I don't believe the 5 or 10 seconds it takes to make the request is too high a price to pay, also the group name will come up if anyone searches for Japanese Railways they will find us then they will be intrigued and ask to join too  :grin  open or closed makes no difference to the search results.

I should also say that if the , now 15, members wish to change anything about the group then as long as there is a clear majority wishing to do so then there will be no problems from me.  The page is meant only to be an eyecatcher for people browsing at hopefully it will catch a few of them in the jns forum net too.

I joined a week ago and am happy there are more members joining.  I will post some pictures and links WHEN I get a chance.  I am in a crazy workload but fulfilling atmosphere for the past 2 months.

Thanks for your answer.

The probelm of a closed group is not being found, is people to join. Personally, if I seem interested on this kind of pages but I cannot see what they do before clicking on "join", I don't join. It just annoy me, especially on something open like facebook.

Concerning the spam, I own 3 facebook pages and used to moderate pages I made for my clients and I saw spam maybe 1 time. So it's not a big deal.

Concerning the people protection: everyone has to take care of his own profile the best way facebook allows it to.

I've never has a single problem with facebook. My profile is almost totally closes to strangers, I only allow people I know and don't put all my holiday pictures on it.

That was just my advice because I hate closed facebook pages or the kind like "Click to see this picture of a monkey driving a plane".

:cheesy

Kumo,

i think the first thought here was not to really make the fb page be much of a face book interaction, but more just an ad page for the forum w/in the fb world. having members and photos and comments starts to lead down to managing a whole almost sub forum over in fb world. point was not to re-invent a new japanese trains world inside fb but to advertise jns in the fb world.

i agree as soon as you start adding comments, photos and such it becomes some sort of closed club to ask to join and that gets odd quickly.

even if we dont get spammed or bad comments posted much someone would still need to monitor the page to keep it clean if we open posting up.

i was just hoping it would be an ad that folks could follow a link to jns or add to their face book pages as well to show their interest in japanese trains to others.

my experience with fb causes has been on environmental issues and those clients had some troubles with both spamming and just rude, off color, and even off topic posts when left open. took a lot of monitoring. the clients were joyful they had like 25K fb supporters, but when they tried to turn that into anything they got practically nothing out of those 25K people. the cost per action when totaled up was huge. also out of all those supporters very, very few ever linked out to the external site with most of the content on the cause (we used a custom landing page to try and track the fb link). most just read the few paragraphs joined up and then that was it. luckily most of the time we used volunteers that were really into fb to do monitoring so could at least cut that cost out, but the amount of time the clients spent working on content, meetings, talking was absurd for the return they got. boiled down to bragging rights, but im a show me guy...

worked much better when a client teamed up with a chap already doing a related fb cause that had been going for a couple of years and then they just fed him content then designed a small letter writing campaign. that one actually returned a good bit and was pretty cheap as the guy had already set it all up and gotten it running. he had a good following of folks that were actually ready to do something.

all that being said, i still think it cant hurt to at least have jns info page up there with a link to the forum to maybe catch a few fb folks that might be interested. although i think when most folks curiosity gets going these days with japanese model trains they just do a web search and jns pops up high there.

cheers

jeff

Then Jeff, you'll be pleased to know of the few things psoted on the FB page, there's a nice ink to JRM up there. (Not posted by me either, someone beat me to it)

Guilty as charged  :grin