Problem with writing posts in this forum

OK ... I got a problem.  When my posts exceed the number of lines in this box and the scroll bars appear all the text goes "jumpy" and I cannot see the line of text that I'm typing at the bottom.  It keeps scrolling to the top while I'm typing.  If I stop typing and scroll down I can see what I've typed, but as soon as I start typing again things go jumpy again.  How can I stop this from happening.  Do I need to update something? 

Using:

Windows Vista Ultimate SP1

Internet Explorer 8.0.6001

Any assistance appreciated.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. In laoreet iaculis sollicitudin. Aliquam sollicitudin posuere sagittis. Suspendisse gravida arcu et tortor pharetra malesuada. Proin facilisis hendrerit lacus quis hendrerit. Aenean vehicula ante at libero sodales accumsan sed vitae ligula. Donec posuere mi quis lectus rhoncus facilisis. Nulla sodales augue non lorem pulvinar sodales. Sed lorem risus, imperdiet tincidunt viverra id, aliquam sagittis nulla. Aliquam egestas nisi ut tellus scelerisque vel sodales erat sollicitudin. Ut justo ipsum, adipiscing in iaculis nec, adipiscing auctor sapien. In sit amet orci nunc, ac porttitor lorem. Sed posuere lacinia ipsum sed luctus.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. In laoreet iaculis sollicitudin. Aliquam sollicitudin posuere sagittis. Suspendisse gravida arcu et tortor pharetra malesuada. Proin facilisis hendrerit lacus quis hendrerit. Aenean vehicula ante at libero sodales accumsan sed vitae ligula. Donec posuere mi quis lectus rhoncus facilisis. Nulla sodales augue non lorem pulvinar sodales. Sed lorem risus, imperdiet tincidunt viverra id, aliquam sagittis nulla. Aliquam egestas nisi ut tellus scelerisque vel sodales erat sollicitudin. Ut justo ipsum, adipiscing in iaculis nec, adipiscing auctor sapien. In sit amet orci nunc, ac porttitor lorem. Sed posuere lacinia ipsum sed luctus.

Nope, not here!

Claude_Dreyfus

Well, I had no problems. My guess is that IE8 is the culprit, and it should be updated anyway for security reasons.

Interestingly I get this occasionally, especially when writing one of my essays! ...and yes, I use IE8, so that is likely to be the culprit.

I had it happen frequently while I was in Japan using Windows 7 on my netbook and not with long posts either, not sure what version IE without firing it up.

I had it happen frequently while I was in Japan using Windows 7 on my netbook and not with long posts either, not sure what version IE without firing it up.

Was IE8. My regular home computer has Vista/Firefox and no problems.

My Android phone (same renderer as Safari) has issues with the text entry boxes, too, albeit of a different sort. SMF (the forum software) is not exactly bugfree, its true.

Claude_Dreyfus

There seems to be a lot of Latin(?) suddenly appearing here... :grin

For me the issue is not how much you can write, this has not changed, rather once you get beyond a certain point - actually when the scroll bar become active on the right-hand side of the window.

It is a pain, however when writing essays I tend to write them in word format then copy-and-paste them into the forum window...

Have the problem sometimes, - Yes I am using IE8.

Not tried google Chrome - used to use Firefox but did not like the way it saved downloads, trouble is we use IE at work and I have probably just got so used to one system.

There seems to be a lot of Latin(?) suddenly appearing here... :grin

For me the issue is not how much you can write, this has not changed, rather once you get beyond a certain point - actually when the scroll bar become active on the right-hand side of the window.

It is a pain, however when writing essays I tend to write them in word format then copy-and-paste them into the forum window...

It was happening to me after 5 or 6 lines of text.

so ... is Admin going to do anything about it?

Cheers

The_Ghan

An excellent question! I don't have access to a Windows machine, so I can't reproduce the bug, or to verify that it is a bug with SMF and not IE. So I can't. Perhaps Martijn could have a look at this?

Martijn Meerts

I've had the problem occasionally as well, but I haven't been able to figure out why it's happening.

I only have it when I'm using IE, so obviously that has something to do with it. However, I don't always have the problem, which would suggest it's not necessarily a forum problem.

It's a bit difficult to solve, partially because it seems random, and partially because I mainly use OS X. I'd have to make a change in the code form OS X, then swap to Windows to test, then back to OS X for more fixes etc. ;)

There is still an ongoing project to optimize the site, and especially the theme, but things have kept coming up which have prevented me from being able to sit down and work on it.

big issue these days trying to get anything with any bells and whistles to perform the same on all browsers over time. loosing proposition lately. know a few really good web developers getting out of the biz as clients wont pay the costs to keep things level on all browsers anymore as those costs have escalated steadily for them. clients want more features and more consistency but wont pay for it.

simple solution might be to use firefox for jns. know this is not a total fix, but will get things working for you most likely. i have to do this on the mac with a few sites that dont behave well with safari so i use firefox for those.

cheers

jeff

Martijn Meerts

The multitude of browsers is getting ridiculous really.. Not only do things work differently between the various browsers, but also the browser versions and OS's. Firefox on a Mac renders pages differently (mostly because of the different font rendering engine) then Firefox on Windows. Pretty sure the Linux version does things differently again. Lots of people are also slow in upgrading browsers, IE6 is still quite common on many pages...

And of course, everyone who thinks he/she has a better idea for a browser will make one. Take Google Chrome for example, there's really nothing in it that warrants building an entirely new browser, especially not if that browser uses an existing rendering engine that's being used in multiple other browsers.

For mobile devices it's even worse, there's just so many of them, it's near impossible to make a site look good on all of them, or even only the newer ones.

This is why I like FireFiox. I had an upgrade a few months back where I had the same issue that is happening right now with IE8, however it only lasted a day before Mozilla released a patch solving it. But don't expect MS to be as fast, and with IE9 out in beta right now...

The multitude of browsers is getting ridiculous really.. Not only do things work differently between the various browsers, but also the browser versions and OS's. Firefox on a Mac renders pages differently (mostly because of the different font rendering engine) then Firefox on Windows. Pretty sure the Linux version does things differently again. Lots of people are also slow in upgrading browsers, IE6 is still quite common on many pages...

And of course, everyone who thinks he/she has a better idea for a browser will make one. Take Google Chrome for example, there's really nothing in it that warrants building an entirely new browser, especially not if that browser uses an existing rendering engine that's being used in multiple other browsers.

For mobile devices it's even worse, there's just so many of them, it's near impossible to make a site look good on all of them, or even only the newer ones.

this is the reason i only stick with the simple web stuff thats pretty transportable and avoid all the bells and whistles as every time i get pushed to cram one of them on a clients site, the problems start. even with all the warnings to them before hand they are still pissed and want it fixed right away and dont want to pay for it... always turns out to be a bug in the widget, not in the implementation in the site. half the time i can poke enough to make it work, but then six months later something changes and my poke breaks and by that time i have forgotten all i had figured out to do the poke so its back to square one or try a different widget. programming them myself would end up taking lots of my time to learn a bit more and keep up with it and i have way too many hats to wear in my business to do that and i dont want to focus on that so thats out.

it is headed for a bit of a train wreck here.

cheers

jeff

This problem was fixed by upgrading to IE9 - just in case anyone else has the same problem.

Cheers

The_Ghan

• Like 1