Kamiyacho Layout Photos

Kamiyacho

I haven't been on this forum for 4-5 years but thought I would share a picture of my new layout extension. My interests differ from those of many of you; for example, I prefer freight over passenger trains and don't use Kato or Tomix track. Also, I am not collector - pretty much everything I have is out on the layout and is used regularly.

The idea was to get a couple more industries and a lot more yard tracks. Now I can easily run all the various freight cars without having to move them on and off the layout. Something a little different than the usual Shinkansen-based theme.

post-358-0-16696500-1452888214_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I haven't been on this forum for 4-5 years but thought I would share a picture of my new layout extension. My interests differ from those of many of you; for example, I prefer freight over passenger trains and don't use Kato or Tomix track. Also, I am not collector - pretty much everything I have is out on the layout and is used regularly.

What track do you use?

It's Peco code 55 and actually Jeff has linked the detailed description above. ( http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/curtlayout3.html )

The layout is beautiful and i would be really thankful for a few more photos, both overview and detail ones. (i couldn't really figure out where the new extension connects to the rest of the layout, but my bet is on the country side)

Hey curt,

welcome back! Thanks for posting the new picts.

Yep curt's layout is superb! curt also is the master of the micro detailing. he keeps just doing it bit by bit and it really is cool to stand there and just keep looking at things as you just keep seeing more and more fun details pop out! Hey this is the guy that detailed all the interior of one of his buildings down to the sumo museum and the papers on the conference table as well as peopling his busses!

I really need to get out soon curt to see the addition!

cheers

jeff

• Like 1

Amazing work! Not just the details, but the whole presentation has been meticulously been taken care of. It really leaves a clean and polished impression, but still maintains a realistic feeling. Really really praiseworthy. :)

What brand of switches do you use ? No. 4 or 6's ? Nice looking layout. I too don't use Kato track but prefer the flex track. Much smoother.

How big is your layout ? Mine is 4 ft. Wide at the helix's and in the shape of a L. Roughly 10x6.

Edited by Kb4iuj

Did Custom Model Railroads just build the layout up to the trackwork/basic scenery or some of the Japanese structures too? I recognised a couple straight away, excellent models. Anyway good choice of Shinkansens, I prefer the old school ones, 300-kei is the most modern I've got.

Edited by railsquid

It's Peco code 55 and actually Jeff has linked the detailed description above. ( http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/curtlayout3.html )

The layout is beautiful and i would be really thankful for a few more photos, both overview and detail ones. (i couldn't really figure out where the new extension connects to the rest of the layout, but my bet is on the country side)

Adds on at the mountains by the looks of one of the photos.  Looks like the curve on the very top left of the original track plan has bee deleted and routed into the new section.

Edited by katoftw

It's in the very back corner behind the mountain.

Actually they had designed in a place for turnouts to go out that direction for a potential expansion. I seem to remember that the turnouts were actually in there and dead end tracks to the corner there.

Jeff

It is a very smart track plan  2 loops.  One is a huge figure of eight. With a branch line tucked in there.  Plus all the industry add ons.  And double smarty pants to include some turnouts for future extensions.

Martijn Meerts

I should still have some pictures of the layout as well. I got to see it when I was in America, although, a lot of detail has probably been added in the meantime, it's been a few years ;)

I'll have to look for them at some point.

Wow... amazing... truly...

This is the type of layout i strive to build!

The street scene & overhead vehicular viaduct is really beautiful!

Is this in museum or some sort? That building with the slanted roof is also amazing!

Nope in curt's home here just outside the DC area. He moved out to the country about a year and a half ago. The layout moved gracefully into his new house out there. More details in his article on the jrm site linked above. Curt was a jrm member when he was living in town and he did all the mountain scenery on the jrm layout and did a wonderful job and its held up well for 5+ years being schlepped everywhere!

Jeff