My Japanese Trip Aug/Sept 2010

westfalen

This is the itinerary for my upcoming trip to Japan with Trainaway Tours copied from their tour brochure.

Trainaway Tours is a group here in Brisbane that started in the late 70's as a breakaway group from the Australian Railway Historical Society called the Boomerang Social Club running tours using railcars to places that wouldn't warrant a full train. As QR's rising hire charges and branch lines closing made running short trips locally more difficult they started ranging further afield, including a trip to Japan every couple of years, and last year to Taiwan. I've done three of my seven trips to Japan with them including my first in 1990 under the guise of the Gold Coast Language Centre, they try to cater to both the hard core railfan and those who just like travelling by train. We all have Japan Rail Passes so on some days when they go somewhere I've been before I head off on my own. The bits in red are some things I've come up with so far, I'll probably think of others as we go along.

Tuesday 24th August: Departure from Brisbane will be by coach, leaving Roma Street at 7.00am. This will take us to Coolangatta Airport for the Jetstar flight, arriving Tokyo at 7.00pm their time. Tokyo’s international airport is in the city of Narita (some 80 kilometres from downtown Tokyo) so we plan to spend that night in Narita City where the centre of that town is about eight minutes by train from the Airport. This will mean we are in our hotel in the early evening and will give you a chance to become accustomed to Japan before facing the frantic pace of Tokyo and other large cities. Overnight Narita

Wednesday 25th August: Narita is home to a famous temple which is not far from our hotel so we’ll start the day by walking down there for a look-see. I plan to leave Narita early and do the JR Kururi line then meet up with the group in Goi, this will give me all the lines on the Boso Peninsula. Around lunchtime we take a local JR train to Goi, about half-way down the Boso Peninsula south of Narita. Two private railways enable one to cross the peninsula from Goi, meeting at a point virtually in the middle of nowhere. This brings us out at Ohara on the eastern coast and JR will then return us to Narita. Overnight Narita

Thursday 26th August: Today we will take the Narita Express into Tokyo where we will change to a Shinkansen for Shin Osaka. Another change then takes us to Kokura in northern Kyushu where accommodation has been arranged for three nights. Overnight Kokura

Friday 27th August: A shinkansen will take us to Hakata station where we join a limited express for Nagasaki, one of the cities devastated by an atom bomb near the conclusion of WWII. Here we visit Peace Park and the A-Bomb Museum and possibly some other sights before returning to Kokura. I've been to Nagasaki a couple of times so I'll use the day to cover a few lines in north west Kyushu I haven't done. Overnight Kokura

Saturday 28th August: Again we start off on a shinkansen for a short trip back under the narrow Kanmon Strait to Honshu to Asa. A JR secondary line wends its way from here across the island to Nagatoshi where we transfer to another JR line that follows the coast around the south of Honshu. Crossing back to Kyushu we visit Mojiko which has been “re-invented” as an historic city where there are many fine old buildings plus a rail museum to be seen. I've done all this so maybe some more Kyushu lines, if it's a fine day I'll meet the group to do Mojiko again since it was pouring rain last time I was there. Overnight Kokura

Sunday 29th August: The reliable shinkansen takes us back to the city of Okayama. A diesel tilt train is then our conveyance across the Seto Ohashi that spans the Inland Sea, joining the islands of Honshu and Shikoku. We travel right across Shikoku, arriving in Kochi in time for lunch. In the afternoon we visit Kochi castle then take in the hustle and bustle of the Sunday market. Tosa Kuroshio Asa line from Kochi in the afternoon. Overnight Kochi

Monday 30th August: This morning we take the same sort of tilt train for just an hour’s trip to where the railway runs along a river gorge. For a better look at this gorge and other scenic areas away from the railway we take the local sight-seeing bus. Lunch is included today. The tilt train takes us back to Kochi. Overnight Kochi

Tuesday 31st August: From Kochi we travel on a tilt train to Kubokawa where we transfer to a single-car rail motor which follows the Shimanto River for many miles en route to Uwajima where our hotel is right at the station. There will be a couple of choices for our afternoon activity. Tosa Kuroshio Sukumo line? Overnight Uwajima

Wednesday 1st September: Shikoku’s largest city is Matsuyama which we visit today. Matsuyama has its own private railway and tramway system and we travel on both. Lunch-time will find us in the Dogo hot-spring resort area and we then go to Matsuyama Castle perched high on a hill with magnificent views. A tilt train returns us to Uwajima. Overnight Uwajima

Thursday 2nd September: Two tilt trains (one diesel and one electric) take us back across the Seto Ohashi to Okayama then a shinkansen trip sees us in Hamamatsu mid-afternoon. You can either put your feet up or join us for a circular tour using the local private line then a third-sector railway. In the afternoon I plan backtracking to Araimachi to shoot Shinkansen and Tokaido line trains along lake hamanako. Overnight Hamamatsu

Friday 3rd September: Today we take an electric train on the private Oigawa Railway, travelling up the Oi River valley to Senzu. Here we transfer to a narrow profile “push-pull” train heading deep into the mountains. This line has a rack section. We return by the same route but instead of the electric train it will be a steam train on that section.  I've done the Oigawa a couple of times but never spent much time in Nagoya, so I'll head back that way and start with the JR Taketoyo line and Meitetsu lines in that area and see where I end up. Overnight Hamamatsu

Saturday 4th September: Two shinkansen services (with a change of train in Tokyo) will be the means of getting to Niigata. As it will still be early we will try out some local JR trains. Overnight Niigata

Sunday 5th September: This morning we join a steam train for Aizu Wakamatsu, arriving a bit before 11am. The local hop-on-hop-off sight-seeing bus will then take us to visit a recently constructed castle, a garden and a former samurai residence. Overnight Aizu Wakamatsu

Monday 6th September: Now it’s time to head north. A local train takes us to Koriyama and shinkansen then convey us to Hachinhoe, the current northern terminus of the shinkansen. A connecting limited express takes us through to Aomori and through the Seikan Tunnel to Hokkaido. We spend the night at Hakodate after having a look at the spectacular view from the city’s mountain. Overnight Hakodate

Tuesday 7th September: Travelling through Hokkaido’s largest city of Sapporo we continue to Asahikawa. There is the option here of visiting the local zoo which features many animals unfamiliar to us. Overnight Asahikawa

Wednesday 8th September: You can sleep in this morning as our train does not leave until late to take us to Wakkanai. A short bus ride sees us at Cape Soya, Hokkaido’s northernmost point. On a clear day you can see Sakhalin (Russia). We then return to Asahikawa. Overnight Asahikawa

Thursday 9th September: Our train journey today to Abashiri will take us about 3 ¾ hours so we will be there by lunchtime. After lunch we visit the Gaol Museum and the Museum of Northern Peoples. Overnight Abashiri

Friday 10th September: Today we take a single unit railcar on the Senmo Line which, for a time, runs along the coastline of Hokkaido. It then heads inland as it crosses the island to reach Kushiro. The afternoon’s activities are still to be arranged. Might try and seek out the coal hauling Taiheiyo Sekitan Hanbai Yuso. Overnight Kushiro

Saturday 11th September: Heading east from Kushiro, again probably a single unit railcar, we travel to Nemuro. Here a bus connection will take us the short distance to Cape Nosappu, Hokkaido’s easternmost point. We return to Kushiro for overnight. Overnight Kushiro

Sunday 12th September: This morning we take a tilt train along Hokkaido’s south coast, then head through the mountains, past ski resorts, to reach Sapporo. The afternoon will bbe spent having a look at the biggest city north of Tokyo. Overnight Sapporo

Monday 13th September: The territory should look a bit familiar today as we return to Hakodate. Here we transfer to another limited express for the journey through the Seikan Tunnel to Honshu. After changing trains again at Aomori we arrive at Hirosaki where we spend the night. Overnight Hirosaki

Tuesday 14th September: From Hirosaki a railway runs around the north-east corner of Honshu, hugging the coast so closely that in places screens have been built to keep the spray off the train. A special tourist train which has been modified with large windows to take advantage of the scenery plies this route. It is sometimes difficult to obtain seats on it but we should be unlucky there is an alternative service operated by regular railcars. After leaving the coast to a third sector railway that is reportedly operating at a substantial loss and there are fears it may have to close. This connects with a shinkansen line that will take us to Akita. Still looking at what to do today, I still have to get to the end of the Tsugaru Railway and a few other odd bits of line. Overnight Akita

Wednesday 15th September: From Akita we could take a shinkansen all the way to Tokyo. However instead of this we will trave on a scenic line to Kitakami where we will connect with a shinkansen for Tokyo. Overnight Tokyo

Thursday 16th September: Using one of Tokyo’s larger private railways we travel to the Hakone area near Mt Fuji. We explore this scenic area by train, funicular, ropeway and “pirate ship”. I've done this before but always on rainy days, depending on weather may go somewhere else. Overnight Tokyo

Friday 17th September: We show you Tokyo today, visiting a famous shrine and a garden using a combination of private railways, subways and a guideway. Considering railway museum and/or JR Agatsuma line.Overnight Tokyo

Saturday 18th September: This our last day in Japan and has been left free for you to do your own last minute sight seeing and souvenir shopping. Late in the afternoon we’ll all assemble again at our hotel to collect our bags and make our way to Narita Airport for the homeward flight. Sounds like a good day to hit the hobby shops. :grinOvernight Plane

Sunday 19th September: Our flight is due in Coolangatta just after 6.00am. A connecting coach will transfer you to Roma Street, marking the end of the tour.

bikkuri bahn

Quite the extensive whirlwind tour there.  I'd be worn out about halfway through.  Enjoy!

I plan to leave Narita early and do the JR Kururi line

Yes, the terminus at Kazusa Kameyama is quite the prototype of the end of the line branch, and surprisingly little changed from JNR days. If you're lucky you'll be able to ride a kiha 30 in original colors. Another bonus is tablet operation.  The exchange at Kururi Station is especially entertaining.

Two private railways enable one to cross the peninsula from Goi

Yes, the one from Goi is the Kominato Railway, one of my favorites, the diesel railcars are the kiha 200 type which are powered by the classic DMH17 engine, one of the sweetest sounding at idle if you're a diesel fan.  The connecting railway at Kazusa Nakano is the Isumi Railway, which uses nasty railbuses (everything can't be perfect...)

Wow ! that is one heck of a trip. Going to Check out Trainaway Tour's webpage because this sounds like it would be lots of fun.

http://trainawaytours.com.au/

There you go, I forgot they had a website, they haven't had it for long. The Japanese tour is booked out as they usually do, there are 26 of us going including the two tour leaders. I sometimes end up as a part time tour leader, in 1998 half the group liked what I was doing on a free day in Tokyo and followed me on a round about trip to Niigata and back via Aizu Wakamatsu.

TestudoToTetsudo

WOW, that sounds like one heck of a trip you have there!  If only I had the vacation days from work to do something like that...

Please let us know how it goes!

WOW, that sounds like one heck of a trip you have there!  If only I had the vacation days from work to do something like that...

Please let us know how it goes!

I've got a new small notebook computer to take with me after my last one died in Germany in May so hopefully I'll be able to post reports as I go.

The 'Private freight lines' thread has been giving me a few ideas for days when I go wandering off on my own.

TestudoToTetsudo

Hope you can; this sounds like the opportunity of a lifetime type of trip, for the "advanced" Japanese railfan who has already done the more popular stuff.  Have fun!

...The 'Private freight lines' thread has been giving me a few ideas for days when I go wandering off on my own...

If you want any timetable information then I can attempt to photocopy pages from my freight timetable... just give me a basic to/from station and I can go from there.

westfalen,

im totally jealous of your trip! im going to have to keep an eye on Trainaway for the future!

if you decide to not do the pirate ship again, have you been to the Hakone open air sculpture museum? it is spectacular. if you like art its superb and a very interesting east meets west thing with many more wester art out door sculptures in a more eastern garden setting. wonderful place to take a relaxed afternoon in. many places to sit and take things in. even nice when i was there once when drizzling, totally different but wonderful atmosphere.

cheers

jeff

http://www.hakone-oam.or.jp/

westfalen,

im totally jealous of your trip! im going to have to keep an eye on Trainaway for the future!

if you decide to not do the pirate ship again, have you been to the Hakone open air sculpture museum? it is spectacular. if you like art its superb and a very interesting east meets west thing with many more wester art out door sculptures in a more eastern garden setting. wonderful place to take a relaxed afternoon in. many places to sit and take things in. even nice when i was there once when drizzling, totally different but wonderful atmosphere.

cheers

jeff

http://www.hakone-oam.or.jp/

Something to keep in mind. There's so much to see in Japan there is always something to do. During the 2006 trip it was pouring down the day we were to do Hakone, so I did a trip around the Gotenba Line which I hadn't done before and finished up spending some time on the platform at Kinomiya, between Atami and the Tama Tunnel watching trains go by.

definitely is a world class installation (their web site makes it look like more of a amusement park!) of art in a lovely large park setting. probably the best over all art installation i have seen in japan. sculptures are fun and varied and the feeling is very relaxed. landscaping is really well done with both some western and also lots of japanese gardening as well. definitely a place i would make sure to go back to myself for another visit. actually maybe the best outdoor sculpture park i have seen anywhere.

one fun one

Prostrate

cheers

jeff

lol you are gonna be so tired after all that...but i bet it will be the best week of your life.   

Closer to four weeks. :grin There's good tired and bad tired, this will be good tired. I didn't mention that after the overnight flight back from Tokyo and a two hour bus and train ride home I'll be throwing my suitcase in the the door and heading to our model railroad club meeting with all my goodies from the Tokyo hobby shops. I was to start back at work at midnight but I talked them into an extra day off.

lol you are gonna be so tired after all that...but i bet it will be the best week of your life.   

Closer to four weeks. :grin There's good tired and bad tired, this will be good tired. I didn't mention that after the overnight flight back from Tokyo and a two hour bus and train ride home I'll be throwing my suitcase in the the door and heading to our model railroad club meeting with all my goodies from the Tokyo hobby shops. I was to start back at work at midnight but I talked them into an extra day off.

That they call dead tired.

That they call dead tired.

You've going to die from something, it might as well be a trip to Japan. :grin

Well, I'm off at 5am in the morning. This time tomorrow I should at the Mercure Hotel Narita watching weird Japanese game shows on TV as I study the latest JR timetable.

Arrived at the hotel about 9.30pm so not bothering with the game shows, called at Macdonalds for a Teryaki Mcburger instead. If you lean out the hotel window you can see Keisei trains crossing a street as they leave the station, when I stayed here in 2006 I had a room overlooking the station itself. Darn, theres another train going past now. :grin

Only took one photo tonight. Tomorrow we do the Kominato and Isumi Railways in the morning then go looking at a temple, I've worked out a late afternoon run on the JR Kururi Line that I might do instead.

Geez, theres another train. :grin :grin

post-218-13569925401535_thumb.jpg

This morning we went by JR from Narita to Goi then rode the Koninato and Isumi Railways across the Boso Peninsula to Ohara and JR back up to Chiba. After lunch in Chiba the rest of the group returned to Narita and I headed back south on my own to do the JR Kururi Line. All I can say about all three lines is if you are ever in Tokyo get out and do them, it amazes me that such caught in a timewarp backwoods branch lines exist so close to Tokyo. The Kominato drivers seemed a bit touchy about being filmed, we were told we could video out the front of the train but not to film the driver.

On my way back to Narita trouble had struck JR somewhere. I planned to catch the 1925 Narita Rapid from Chiba but when I arrived at the platform there were frantic sounding announcements being made and the train was shown on the platform indicator but with red writing running across beneath, (I couldn't understand it but red writing is not good in any language). The 1912 to Chiosi was still at platform 9 and after an announcement most of the passengers waiting for the Narita train got on board, when the 5 car 1912 left at 1925 it was so full people's faces were litterally pressed against the windows of the doors. The 1925 for Yokosuka then arrived and stayed, it left at 1948 about the time the 1925 Narita arrived which left packed to the rafters. To add a few more minutes we were held at Sakura to let the N'ex behind us overtake.

Tomorrow we go from Narita to Kokura, a long journey but not a Trainaway Tours record, on the 2006 tour we went from Morioka to Beppu in one day.

Here's some of today's photos.

post-218-13569925403743_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569925404185_thumb.jpg

post-218-1356992540463_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569925405102_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569925405571_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569925405928_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569925406375_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569925406779_thumb.jpg

Glad you are having a great time and got a rare experience that even Japanese commuters have little chance of experiencing it....a delay in service!

Glad you are having a great time and got a rare experience that even Japanese commuters have little chance of experiencing it....a delay in service!

Oddly enough the locals didn't seem too bothered by it.

Great pics!

I didn't expect to see a moomin troll in Japan!! I went to the museum in Finland years ago.. any idea why its there?

Graham

bikkuri bahn

Great pics!

I didn't expect to see a moomin troll in Japan!! I went to the museum in Finland years ago.. any idea why its there?

Graham

It's a tie-in with the 65th anniversary of the Moomin character series.  Isumi Railway is promoting the area where it runs as a kind of "Moomin Valley".  Animation character/series from Europe are very popular in Japan, besides Moomin, Miffy (Netherlands), Barbapapa (France), and Cheburashka (Russia) are well loved.  Cheburashka was featured in a JR West poster campaign to promote good manners on the train a year or two ago:

http://frog.blog.eonet.jp/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/2009/07/14/popup_pict01.jpg

http://frog.blog.eonet.jp/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/2009/07/14/popup_pict02.jpg

Nothing very exciting to start with today, just a N'ex from Narita to Tokyo, a 300 series from there to Shin Kobe then a Hikari Railstar to Kokura. I'll put up a picture of a Shinkansen though for those interested in such things.

After we checked into the Kokura Station Hotel I headed down the coast along the JR Kagoshima Line to the JR Wakamatsu Line. The junction station at Orio is a two level affair with the branch below the mainline at right angles and a rambling old wooden station that looks like it missed getting bombed in WW2. There is a neglected 9600 class 2-8-0 in a park near Wakamatsu station that although fairly intact is now more rust than engine. Back at Orio I kept heading south along the JR Fukuhoku Yutaka Line to Nogata where a walk through the backstreets of the town found me at the small elevated station of the Chikuhō Denki Tetsudō which I rode back to Kurosaki to rejoin the JR Kagoshima Line back to Kokura. It was after dark by the time I reached Nogata so I'll have go back agin some time to see the interesting Chikuhō Denki Tetsudō in the daylight.

Several of the trains down here on Kyushu have been 5 to 10 minutes late, I don't know if this is a regular thing.

post-218-13569925414386_thumb.jpg

post-218-1356992541476_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569925415172_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569925415578_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569925415995_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569925416457_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569925416885_thumb.jpg