Would you get a new or used camera.

As some of you have seen I have changed cameras from a weak Kodak Compact Digital to an Olympus Compact Digital Camera, I am about to get hold of a Nikon D5100 which I will be using to get more close up and faster photo snaps of trains while going on the layouts. For me as an armature in taking photos I am learning a lot and getting a few interesting images of the layout. The benefits of trial and error. With the Nikon D5100 I can manually do the focus while the other cameras I couldn't.  

Hello Mr linkey,

If you have not bought the D5100 yet please consider that it was replaced by the D5200 and ... only last month ... the D5200 was replaced by the D5300.  Right now the D5200 is available at quite an economical price right around the worlds.

I have a D5100 too and am very happy with it. A more high-spec camera is practically unneeded. I'm learning every time I use it.

Martijn Meerts

Nikon are great camera's, can't really go wrong with them. I went with Sony myself, I liked that the body was a bit bigger than Canon and Nikon. Eventually ended up buying a 2nd body that was even bigger than the first.. I'm not a fan of the small bodies ;)

Now that I'm used to a DSLR I will never be able to go back. On the other side, I don't like the size that it takes to take it with you. I can't put it in a small bag or something but that's mainly because I still haven't been able to find a proper protective case for it that doesn't have an enormous size.

Hello Mr linkey,

Yes, the D5100 is also very good.

I would like to make a general comment about DSLR cameras.

There are two image sensor sizes: full-frame (35mm) and APS-C.  Nikon calls it DX.  On Nikon, the frame size is approximately 23mm.  Nikon calls the full-frame size FX.  There are also two types of lens: FX and DX purpose made for each image sensor size. They use the same mount, so you can technically put a DX lens on an FX body and vice versa.  Here is brief explanation of the effect:

DX lens on DX body: angle of view on lens matches angle on image.  Eg: 50mm lens = 50mm angle of view on image

FX lens on FX body: angle of view on lens matches angle on image.  Eg: 50mm lens = 50mm angle of view on image

DX lens on FX body: Only 23mm of the sensor will be used.  If the FX camera is capable of 36MP with a FX lens, it can only do 18MP with the DX lens.  On older FX body the image will have a black border for that part of the sensor not being used.  Newer FX body can detect DX lens and create image without border, but at the lower resolution. Angle of view on lens matches angle on image.  Eg: 50mm lens = 50mm angle of view on image.

FX lens on DX body: angle of view on lens does not match angle on image.  The image is cropped to fit the smaller sensor.  The actual angle of view is calculated as FX lens setting x FX / DX.  As FX / DX area = 1.5, the view angle of the image will be 1.5x the setting on the camera.  Thus, 33mm on the lens is roughly 50mm on the image.

Canon, Pentax, and other makers have similar systems.  Note: Canon actually has 3 image sensor sizes: full-frame, APS-C, and the newer APS-H, which is between the other two in size.

So, why did I share this information?  The camera with the smaller sensor is an excellent choice and more than adequate for most of our needs.  It is probably the best value for money ... and flexibility.  But, if you are interested in upgrading to a full-frame camera one day then you will need lenses that are designed for full-frame sensors.  In this case, my suggestion would be to buy full-frame lenses in future in anticipation of that future upgrade.

I'll second Ochanomizu's advice.  I used my first (APS-C) DSLR for many years before buying a second lens, but when I did I bought a full-frame lens.  I later replaced the camera with a full-frame body and kept the new lens (not for layout use, there an APS-C is more than sufficient, but I also use the camera for other things).

Another thing to consider, if you didn't already have the Nikon, is one of the better compact or interchangeable-lens non-SLRs.  In recent years some of those have supported full manual operation and even RAW mode (I have a little Samsung EX2F; not a great camera, but it works, other possible choices are Canon G16 or Sony RX100-II).  The quality won't be quite as good as an SLR, but it's more than adequate for most layout work, and it's very handy for places you don't want to tote a large and valuable camera. You won't save much, if anything, over an entry-level DSLR, so it's not really a cost decision, but a convenience one. I much prefer my DSLR, but there are times I use the small one.

For a portable case, if you don't need to carry accessories beyond a cleaning cloth or similar, consider a holster case (like this one). I used one for years before replacing it with a larger bag, and while it was not perfect, it was rarely in the way and very light to carry.  The main downside is that you do have to take the camera out to use it, as opposed to being one you can just unwrap and leave clipped to the camera.

Also, beware of rain. Even weather-sealed DSLRs are very prone to water damage. There are plastic bag-like wraps you can get if you need to use them in the rain.

I use Canon myself, but I agree with Martijn: Nikon's a good brand, and you can't go wrong with one. So is Sony: I recommended both, along with Canon, to a friend who was camera shopping last year (he still hasn't bought one).

That is very informative Ochanomizu and KenS!

The bag looks very good. I only have a 18-55mm lens so far but I am planning on upgrading sometime in the future. Do you know if it will fit in the bag?

I kept a 107mm long 24-105 zoom on my Canon 40D in it.  It was a tight fit, but it fit.  I didn't have much in the mesh pouch inside the top flap though, all my stuff was in the outside pockets.

Although I use a small camera bag now (two lenses, and some filters) I miss that old case.  It was a very convenient size for stuffing in a carry-on bag or walking around all day with.

Well luckily for me, i think Sillypore has very good prices on electronics. Most foreigners come to Sillypore to get stuff like lab-tops, cameras, LCDs etc.

Here's a look at the prices during promotional sales:

http://singapore-promotions.com/happenings/electronics-wholesale-expo-2013-singapore-expo-22-24-mar-2013-60981/

Heck that's almost a sale every weekend somewhere so prices are really competitve.

Speaking of which, i just bought my first 'GOOD ENOUGH' camera after years and years of using buget point-and-shoot. The Olympus PEN EP-3. Hope it's good enough to take macro shots which i really need for my layout! 

And yet, most Sings cross the boarder to JB for cheaper eletronics.

And yet, most Sings cross the boarder to JB for cheaper eletronics.

Sorry Shashinka i beg to differ on this... Sing has one of the cheapest priced electronics in Asia. We have tourists coming in from the States, Australia and even Europe to shop for electronics here. Our Sim Lim Square http://www.simlimsquare.com.sg/ is rather popular with tourists for electronics, but have recently been bombarded for cheating tourists. Electronics in JB are not cheap, and usually inferior quality with counterfeit goods bearing actual brand names made in Malaysia. Sides that, buying in JB has no warranty and no dealership so Sings will not have a place to go too if their products run into problems, unlike in SG which the consumers are protected by CASE (Consumer Association of Singapore)

Sings DO go over often to JB, but for other stuff like chewing gum which is banned in Singapore, or groceries and milk powder which are cheaper than SG. However, the quality of the products is to be questioned unless you're buying from big reputable supermarts... There had been cases of milk powder poisoning due to inferior quality of milk powder...