Tokyo Station Photos

Dick H

This is mainly for Martijn, but it may be useful for others. These are the most important images from a booklet published in 1963. There is also a rather complete chronology of the Japanese National Railways beginning before 1872. It's in Japanese, but if anyone is interested, I will scan it and post it.

http://www.pbase.com/dickh/tokyo_station

Martijn Meerts

Wow, those are real nice, thanks =)

It's rather fun seeing the map with the track plan of an early Tokyo Station. Only 2 tracks going in and 2 going out. No shinkansen lines or anything =)

Based on the length mentioned in 1 of the pictures, the model of the station building on scale would be just over 2 meters long  :o

during one of my trips to tokyo, a few summers ago, i hopped the fence at Harajuku station aroudn 3AM in the morning and walked the JR tracks.

harajuku station was completely empty, but all the lights were on. it was really eerie.  the coolest part of the walk was when a freight train sped by on the outer track closest to me.  it crept up so quietly and went flying by, kind of like a ghost.    i know i got some pictures somewhere that i took on the tracks of the empty station, etc.  i gotta find them though.