marknewton - In progress thread

Krackel Hopper

I know it's been a while, but at least I've got some idea of what I want to build now. I'm going to use the base I built for last year's project party and build a simple rural station scene on it. The station building is a Sankei card kit, the terrain/landforms will be extruded foam. Here's a sketch of what I intend to build.

MGalleryItem.php?id=1022

Cheers,

Mark.

I managed to get a bit done today, I painted and weathered the track, using a mixture of spray acrylics and oils, then glued it down to the roadbed and ballasted it. I'm trying out a method I saw described in the UK magazine "Model Railway Journal". Instead of the usual method of ballasting after the track is layed, author Norman Solomon suggests pre-shaping or forming the track, gluing it down with full-strength white glue, then applying dry ballast while the glue is still wet. It seems to work - it's far less tedious than faffing about with an eye-dropper and spray bottle, and I think it looks a good deal better. Haven't go the camera at home today, so I'll post photos on the weekend.

Cheers,

Mark.