Another RTR Tram Layout

bill937ca

Yama is offering a RTR double track tram layout with crossover and siding that includes controls built into the base. It appears to use Tomix track and parts for the tram track. Its 36,000 so its not cheap.  But you could get up, walk in to a store and walk out with a tram layout.  Japan is so cool. :laugh:

Its on Rakuten, and yes, you can order this.  It quotes 3,600 Yen or $417.60 Canadian for the layout and 14,000 Yen or $162.00 Canadian for shipping.  I'll think about it, but IF I win the lottery!!  :grin  Why not?

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/mokeiyabigman/yama-n-reiout/

http://en.item.rakuten.com/mokeiyabigman/yama-n-reiout/

http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/s/?@0_mall/mokeiyabigman/cabinet/train05/mfkdfmkld2.jpg

A little more competition for kato's Unitram.

US$400 (not counting postage) seems a bit steep for a loop of track and a controller, considering that Kato's Portram Starter Set comes with a tram (US$100+ value) for US$278.  It's nice track, and you get it set up on a base, but without the roads or details (e.g., tram stops) that Kato supplies.  I suppose if you compare the extra cost to a custom-made table it's not bad, and very convenient for someone who lives in an apartment and has no place to use power tools to make a base.

Still, I can't help thinking "ouch!".

But I'll agree that it would be cool to have someplace near me where I could buy something like that, even if I never would.  Being a model railroader in Japan is definitely different from being one here.

The fact that it has crossovers is pretty nice though. As to date, I have not seen or heard any of the Unitram having switches. Still, so far I haven't been all too impressed with the spacing on the system.

I like the switches in the RTR but I won't be buying it since it is a closed system.

@Ken S, although there is hardly any Japanese like MR stores o/s of Japan, we are still bless by modeling Japanese trains because time and time again we see Tomix, Kato and the like are willing to go to uncharted territories such as Tram tracks, modern consist, storable structures..., reliable quality and affordable prices.

I certainly wouldn't pay that much, but at least the picture shows just what can be done with the Tomix tracks when the fit and finish is put in (compared to Unitram where it's in before you even open the box). If anything I'd say the Tomix tram track would be easier to pass off as foreign prototype, especially if you want to model classic streetcars.

It's too expensive for me, but I like how it looks like. Poles of the catenary system is not too close to each other?

Ps: If I go into a local model shop I can only order Kato products, there is no available on the shelves. Shipping time is 4-6 weeks, the price is too high, handling of guarantee is ridiculous. So I order for myself. Cheaper, faster.

It's too expensive for me, but I like how it looks like.

It is really expensive for what you get?  A controller can often run $50-100. It includes the base.  What really kills it in my eyes is the shipping.  But if I was in Japan I think I might well find this a better deal than Kato's Unitram.

It is really expensive for what you get?

For me? Yes.

I don't get the tram, roads and sidewalks, there is no stops, etc. This is not a complete system of course (neither does the Unitram), but compared to what I would get for my money, I would vote for Unitram. Despite of the controllers and switches.

But this is my oppinion only. :-)

Hobby Dreamer

Thanks for posting this, Bill.

I would not classify this as "competition" to the Kato track, but rather an alternative. Pre-Kato, this is quite a nice evolution over just the old Tomix track. Its custom work so the price is probably fair, but Kato looks a lot better, is more of an integrated system and cost less. Some people thought the Kato loop package was  expensive but I always thought it to be fair-priced: good quality at the price one might expect.

What this illustrates is more interest in tram layouts and, moreover, is a layout that is not prototypical - what people want in hobbies is not always reality.

This track does have cobbles, that might appeal to many and it makes me wonder whether either K or T will produce new cobbled track. Cobbled track  might be important to a hobbyist and cobbled track can be painted and weathered to add realism.

So there is now a Kato loop, a new Tomix track loop (using the new track), the old Tomic track loop and this Tomix-based custom layout.

Now, if they just made more than loops.....

This track does have cobbles, that might appeal to many and it makes me wonder whether either K or T will produce new cobbled track. Cobbled track  might be important to a hobbyist and cobbled track can be painted and weathered to add realism.

The cobbling is definitely a selling point for me. Even if it's not prototypical for many of the tram or streetcar scenarios I would want to run it just works better at creating the feeling of a small street with a streetcar running down it, vs. the feeling of a large railway line that is sitting in on a road. Since scenary is never to scale (compression) it's important to be able to create a sense of what "size" your scene is meant to be without actually changing the dimensions of the layout.