Inexpensive connectors

cteno4

i though i would just throw something out for those with very limited funds. these connectors are like 20-25 cents a pair with 8" leads on them (like 19-20g wire). the plugs are pretty rugged and small. they should take a couple of amps no problem. so if you wanted a very cheap ttrak module power plugs these should work fine and you can use a heftier trunk cable to tie into.

these are also great for other little electrical needs like lighting, accessory power, battery packs, etc where you want to remove the power source or the thing requiring the power. Im going to use them for my reversing/pausing circuit sensors. i am mounting sensors in a lot of street car modules (they are just photo resistors for like $1 ea) then i can plug in any modules i want into the controller module to be a pause or reverse point in the current setup.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15234

btw these are also the same connectors t gauge equipment uses and trainaidsa.com has 0.5m and 1m M/F cables that interoperate with these.

cheers

jeff

Jeff,

These look good, but for longer connectors especially between boards I use computer keyboard cables. Cut them in half and connect the male to female. That way I can separate the boards quickly.

Dickturpin

Dickturpin,

ha never thought of keyboard cables, but good 6 conductors, probably 24g wire. and at like $2.50 for a 25' cable very cheap! i have used serial and parallel cables for the same purpose as well!

on the first version of the jrm layout we even used just the serial pins (male and female) to make micro connectors for the track and turnout controls. since we set the layout up on the fly we had to pull all the wires through holes each time we set up. the kato and other connectors were just too big so i just bought a big bag of just the serial connector pins and soldered them onto the ends of the wires. then covered the exposed areas with heat shrink (different colored to make connections go easy). this gave very thin connectors to snake through the holes with very minimal edges to catch on stuff. i think the pins were like 5 cents each so about 25 cents with heat shrink to do a 2 conductor pair.

these little JST connectors are nice and small with a very positive lock and at 25 cents (20cents if you buy a few) for a pair with leads, dirt cheap. they are the perfect thing for connecting in my photo resistor sensors for the ru21 pause/reverse unit to various modules on the fly. will probably make some like 1m & 2m cables m/f and then i can just clip together any combo i need. normally these are sold for more like $1-2 for a pair of connectors and leads in hobby shops where they are commonly used as the power connectors for rc gear. these are a steal and the test batch i got looks great, nice and sturdy and thick, solid insulation on the leads with stripped, tinned ends.

btw if you need good quality cables cheap check out monoprice. stunning prices for very good quality premade cables and connectors. friends in the HD install business swear by them now after doing a lot of tests and being amazed at the quality and especially the price!

cheers

jeff

I use the Molex connectors - the ones on the 6" cables connecting your IDE hard disk to your power supply.  I cut them in half and solder one end onto my point motors (Peco).  If a point motor fails I can clip in a new one.

What sort of current are you pumping through those keyboard cables?