Another Unitram Layout

Concept Model Trains

Concept Model Trains

My father has recently acquired a Unitram layout. He added a small Tomix Fine Track layout alongside to compliment it. To enhance the appearance he has made a simple modification.  The buildings in the cardboard background that comes with the Unitram have been cut out. When they are placed against a cloud background, they look more realistic.  The whole layout also appears to have a lot more depth. 

He has two Kato Portrams and two Tomytec Portrams that he runs on the layout.  For his birthday I bought him the latest Tomytec trams, Kumamoto, Manyosen and Okayama.  They definitely look good on the layouts.  A nice change from seeing the Portram’s go round.

post-71-13569924961718_thumb.jpg

post-71-13569924962161_thumb.jpg

post-71-13569924962554_thumb.jpg

post-71-1356992496296_thumb.jpg

post-71-13569924963365_thumb.jpg

post-71-13569924963765_thumb.jpg

post-71-13569924964207_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The cut-out buildings do make the backdrop more "dimensional", and the suburban area next to the urban area is a nice touch.

I can see wanting to run two sets of trains independently, but why not add a connection on at least the outer loop to allow a train to run through from one to the other?

Concept Model Trains

Linking the outer loop may worth a go Ken.  Unfortunately the Unitrack is not easy it incorporate with the Finetrack.  I think it may be possible if the Unitrack was separated into two halves and the grass mat section placed in the middle.  The Unitrack Snap-Track conversion track could be used link the Finetrack.  I will suggest it my father.