Rail Bridge Next to Setagaya-Daita, Odakyu Line

Some people have mentioned that they are interested in bridges for their layouts. I guess that they would mean more traditional and scenic type of bridges. I'll try to find some later. This is a typical steel bridge. The center bridge was the original rail bridge, but due to plans to upgrade the system, it has been replaced with a newer and perhaps temporary one. The third is for auto traffic.

I took more, but here is a sampling to see if people would want to see more.

The newer bridge.

S7303161.jpg

S7303163.jpg

Under the newer bridge.

S7303166.jpg

S7303191.jpg

S7303197.jpg

Under the older bridge.

S7303167.jpg

S7303171.jpg

Pedestrian walk way.

S7303179.jpg

Best wishes,

Grant

I guess that they would mean more traditional and scenic type of bridges.

"They" can have their scenic shots. I like seeing these kinds of detail shots from cities around the world, and not just for modelling purposes.

Thank you, Triplex,

But I should also explain that I meant that I'm just sorry that I can't post any shots like that, or at least right now.

Thanks again for your comments,

Best wishes,

Grant

This is for someone who might want to use the photos for a layout.

I'm sorry, but I don't collect trains or have a layout. My passion is plastic models, but recent economic changes has meant that I can't start a new hobby for quite a while. It doesn't cost anything to use my digital camera and I cycle to save on train fare.

A shot from further back. Setagaya-Daita/Shinjuku is towards the right. Umegaoka is towards the left.

S7303144.jpg

S7303147.jpg

Facing the other way.

S7303148.jpg

Heading towards the bridge.

S7303149.jpg

Past a shrine.

S7303150.jpg

More to come.

Best wishes,

Grant

There is a pedestrian overpass before the bridge.

S7303151.jpg

S7303153.jpg

Why show the undersides, because I know, from personal experience, that you will know that it is there.

S7303155.jpg

S7303156.jpg

S7303152.jpg

S7303154.jpg

More to come,

Best wishes,

Grant

Details of the steps leading to the bottom of the left side of the  overpass.

S7303160.jpg

Sorry, this is so you can make sure how many steps there are. I know that I've wanted info like that.

S7303159.jpg

S7303158.jpg

S7303162.jpg

S7303164.jpg

Left undersides of the new bridge.

S7303165.jpg

Left undersides of the middle bridge.

S7303168.jpg

More later,

Best wishes,

Grant

More details of the undersides of the bridges.

S7303169.jpg

S7303170.jpg

The other side of the old bridge. The road runs over this bridge.

S7303174.jpg

S7303172.jpg

S7303173.jpg

S7303176.jpg

S7303177.jpg

More to come.

Best wishes,

Grant

I tend to do quite a bit of this stuff when I'm in Nihon as well, usually after I have tired, bored, and just get sick of doing trains, and need a few hours to clear the cobwebs out upstairs.

This side has steps leading up to the street above. The other side has a gradual slope that goes further and reaches the top.

S7303178.jpg

The road over the far side bridge.

S7303180.jpg

There is a pedestrian walkway on the left. To the right is the old bridge that carried the rail tracks. It is now used as a parking and storage area for the builders. Notice the white concrete barrier with the orange reflectors.

S7303181.jpg

This steel wall is on the other side of the concrete barrier.

S7303182.jpg

To the left is a stairwell going down to the ramp.

S7303184.jpg

Looking down on the far side walk ramp.

S7303183.jpg

More to come,

Best wishes,

Grant

More views of the stairwell entrance.

S7303185.jpg

S7303187.jpg

S7303186.jpg

The middle bridge, used as a parking and storage area. The bridge runs left to right.

S7303190.jpg

In this photo, the bridge runs parallel to the trucks. Umegaoka is ahead.

S7303189.jpg

The west entrance to Setagaya-Daita is straight ahead. The tall white building to the left may be connected ith work being done underground. 

S7303188.jpg

More to come,

Best wishes,

Grant

Great pics, gmat.  Can we get a closeup of this one?  Do you think the cup and can were left by 不良外国人?  :grin???

S7303171.jpg

Great pics, gmat.  Can we get a closeup of this one?  Do you think the cup and can were left by 不良外国人?   :grin???

Babelfish translates 不良外国人 as 'defective foreigner', I probably come under that description somehow.

I don't remember seeing that much graffiti and litter around when I first visited in 1990, I guess times are changing. The thing that strikes me most though, is how much detail is missing from our layouts. Another thing is what a difference digital photography makes, back in 1990 I wouldn't have considered going through the equivalent of a roll and a half of film on one location.

Great pics, gmat.  Can we get a closeup of this one?  Do you think the cup and can were left by 不良外国人?   :grin???

Babelfish translates 不良外国人 as 'defective foreigner', I probably come under that description somehow.

I don't remember seeing that much graffiti and litter around when I first visited in 1990, I guess times are changing. The thing that strikes me most though, is how much detail is missing from our layouts. Another thing is what a difference digital photography makes, back in 1990 I wouldn't have considered going through the equivalent of a roll and a half of film on one location.

Well in this case, 不良, furyou, I would translate as no-good, as in no-good foreigner.  Babelfish is being a little sterile there.  That poster stuck to the box is probably some right-wing propaganda.  But yeah, if you can work that into your layout, that would be amazing.  And for the record, I believe the likelihood of that garbage being left by a foreigner is low while the likelihood of it being left by a Japanese is quite high!

Great pics, gmat.  Can we get a closeup of this one?  Do you think the cup and can were left by 不良外国人?   :grin???

Well in this case, 不良, furyou, I would translate as no-good, as in no-good foreigner.  Babelfish is being a little sterile there.  That poster stuck to the box is probably some right-wing propaganda.  But yeah, if you can work that into your layout, that would be amazing.  And for the record, I believe the likelihood of that garbage being left by a foreigner is low while the likelihood of it being left by a Japanese is quite high!

I know Babelfish can be more amusing than accurate.

Most foreigners who visit Tokyo probably wouldn't even know some of the places that we, as railfans, go to even exist. A quick trip around the tourist spots and then on to Kyoto as fast as you can.

Grant,

Again thanks for the great detail pictures! these are fab for detailing!

just found another use for the metallic mesh ribbon i picked up at the craft store sale for $2 the other day! fences for bridges/overpasses like this!

keep em coming!

cheers

jeff

Details of the box and some more.

S7303305.jpg

S7303313.jpg

S7303309.jpg

S7303306.jpg

S7303315.jpg

S7303314.jpg

S7303303.jpg

This no bicycle parking sign was between the pillars next to the box with the graffiti.

S7303300.jpg

This sign was on the pillar after the no parking sign. Don't know where the finger came from or why it's there.

S7303299.jpg

Best wishes,

Grant

The temporary nature of the new rail bridge here is because they are building a two level underground system for the Romance car and Express trains. The regular trains should continue at the ground level. The great bottleneck for expanding the Odakyu Line is Shimokitazawa Station. Commercial build up next to the station made expanding the ROW difficult, so most of the line will go underground after Umegaoka, (the next station away from Setagaya-Daita) and re-emerge before Yoyogi-Uehara, two stops before Shimokitazawa. This is if I've read the notices correctly. Don't know what will happen from there until Shinjuku. The large white building over the tracks is to facilitate nocturnal removal dirt from the tunnel boring machines.

Will post some photos of inside the station later.

Best wishes,

Grant