Posting Photos

Is there a way to upload photos from your computer rather than through Photobucket? That way I wouldn't have to worry about filling that account and being forced to delete photos. Also, would it be better to upload it into a folder in the gallery or post in the Prototype forum?

Thank you,

Bet wishes.

Grant

CaptOblivious

There are two ways: when you write a post you have the option of attaching photos. This puts little thumbnails at the bottom of the post, and is good for small numbers of uploads.

For the way you post photos, though, I would use the gallery (look to the upper right of the page). There you can organize your uploads into folders, etc. The gallery will also give you a special code for including any gallery photos in a regular post. I recommend continuing to post in the forum, because the gallery doesn't notify members of new photos.

That said, a couple of members have had problems with uploading to the galery that we havnt been able to figure out just yet. Let us know if you run into any issues.

Thanks again for all your photos! Such wonderful reference material for those of us stuck elsewhere in the world.

CaptObvious,

I have to upload my photos from a server like Photobucket into the folder? How do you upload photos into your folders?Is it like that?

Thank you for any help.

Best wishes,

Grant

I think you should try and then ask questions if you don't understand. :)

That's really not that complicated. It's actually the same process as everywhere else. Just be sure to create your own folder before uploading any pictures.

CaptOblivious

Grant,

I don't know if you can transfer images directly from photobucket. The Gallery is set up for you to upload images from your hard drive. I haven't used it very much myself, so I'm not sure about some of these questions. I know there are members here, however, who have made heavy use of it…anyone can help Grant out?

Thank you, CaptOblivious,

Anyone, which of the icons do you have to press to begin uploading photos?

I don't know that much about forums like this.

Thank you,

Best wishes,

Grant

I think that I stumbled onto how to do it.

1. click 'gallery'

2. click 'my album'

3. click 'add user album'

4. on the 'icon' line below the box, click 'choose file'

a box will appear with photos from your desktop.

5. click the appropriate photo

6. repeat until done.

Thank you,

Grant

Sorry,

False alarm.I tried it out today and it is apparently just for your icon. Duh! Still need help.

How has anyone who has uploaded files done it?

Is there a quick and easy way, or the slow way?

Best wishes,

Grant

You almost got it right...

4. Click on the newly created Album

5. Click on "upload new image to the Album"

6. Click the appropriate photo

7. Repeat until done

CaptOblivious

Once you have a photo uploaded, the photo's gallery page will have a code to embed the image in a post. Have a look at this photo that I uploaded a while back:

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=item&id=750

Towards the bottom is a field labeled "BBC embed code", and the entry reads: [ smg id=750 ] (with a few fewer spaces). You can copy and paste that code into a post to place the photo:

[smg id=750]

Unfortunately, there is no handy way to insert an entire folder at once into a post; You have to insert each photo's code one by one. But that's pretty much what you're already doing ;)

Disturbman,

Thank you for your advice, but I can't see an 'upload image to album' when I get past the 'add user album' part. Is the a icon rather than words? Am I going the wrong way?

Thanks again,

Grant

CaptOblivious

I just created an album, to see what the interface is like. After creating an album, I was taken to the page picture in the attachment. There are two options: "Add an item to this album" and "Mass Upload". Do you not have these options?

upload.gif

CaptOblivious,

You may have noticed that I was able to open an album. But wasn't able to upload any photos in it. I clicked the mass upload, and got a box showing my desktop. But when I try to upload a photo, Safari dies. (I use a Mac) Perhaps I have Flash disabled. My computer said that the failure was connected to Flash. I don't know if it is disabled on my Mac.

Trying another route, how do you upload a photo using "add an item to this album'?

Thanks for your help,

Grant

CaptOblivious

CaptOblivious,

You may have noticed that I was able to open an album. But wasn't able to upload any photos in it. I clicked the mass upload, and got a box showing my desktop. But when I try to upload a photo, Safari dies. (I use a Mac) Perhaps I have Flash disabled. My computer said that the failure was connected to Flash. I don't know if it is disabled on my Mac.

Trying another route, how do you upload a photo using "add an item to this album'?

Thanks for your help,

Grant

That's unfortunate. I haven't tried a mass upload option before (I'm on a Mac too). I'll have to look at that.

Thank you for your help, clem24 and CaptOblivious,

I'll look into Flickr, but I think that it may be as slow as Photobucket.

Best wishes,

Grant

Darren Jeffries

Well i am not sure i have yet until someone other than an admin tries to upload  :cool:

But there was an issue on album permissions, which took me 20 mins to sort out (seems theres no one setting, but more like 100!), but i hope has sorted the problem now.

Can someone who does not have admin or moderator privilages try to upload something to the gallery please so i can tell if its worked! Thanks

Darren,

I tried again but no joy. The first time, I clicked

1. gallery

2. user album

3. gmat

4. mass upload

5. upload

Safari quit again.

I then tried

1. add an item to this album

2. in the file to upload section, clicked choose file

3. tried to add a file

No joy,

Repeated the above action.

1. Tried to add a photo.

2. Accepted.

3. clicked submit

Cannot find any addition to my album.

Best wishes,

Grant

CaptOblivious

I then tried

1. add an item to this album

2. in the file to upload section, clicked choose file

3. tried to add a file

No joy,

Repeated the above action.

1. Tried to add a photo.

2. Accepted.

3. clicked submit

Cannot find any addition to my album.

Best wishes,

Grant

Can you describe what happens in more detail? You add a photo, click submit, and then what? Are you taken back to the gallery page as though nothing bad had happened?

Also, I notice that some of our avatars are not working lately. I wonder if these things are connected…