"Trying" to Shoot the Shinkansen in Tokyo

No really satisfactory spot to get good photos, but here are some photos and where i got them

At Tamachi station. This was the first place that I tried to shoot the Shinkansen.

From the station platform. Low fence spoils the shot.

S7301183.jpg

Going out the East exit, you can find an outside staircase to the street.

S7301184.jpg

S7301190.jpg

Those pesky poles.

S7301201.jpg

S7301203.jpg

Shooting the other way, you have poles and a limited view.

S7301205.jpg

Best wishes,

Grant

• Like 1

I went south of Shinagawa station and looked at the high ground north of the tracks.

This is from the first small bridge after the two large ones. It is by 4-chome on the Google map. As you can see, it's through a wire screen.

S7301155.jpg

With a small digital camera, you can get a shot like this.

S7301157.jpg

On the other side of the bridge, you can walk to the top of the next rise and shoot these shots. It's at the upper right corner below the buildings in the first photo.

S7301160.jpg

Pesky poles.

S7301159.jpg

Still not satisfied, so I didn't take many photos.

Best wishes,

Grant

• Like 1

Going north, I tried Nippori station. The Shinkansen comes down to the ground level but then goes underground before the station.

S7302065.jpg

S7302066.jpg

S7302067.jpg

Looking the other way.

S7302069.jpg

Still not good.

Best wishes,

Grant

Shooting north, outside Nippori station, which straddles the train lines. But still shooting through a wire screen.

S7302063.jpg

This is outside of Tabata station. There is a building with a parking lot which has a nice view of the Shinkansen line and Tabata station. The Shinkansen tracks are kind of far away and the side walls cover up almost half of the train.

S7302052.jpg

Tabata station is on the left side of the picture.

S7302058.jpg

This is from a temple further down, but still by Tabata station.

S7302055.jpg

This is above Nishinippori station. Darn pesky pylons.

S7302059.jpg

S7302060.jpg

Best wishes,

Grant

• Like 1

Wow still interesting pictures.  I also wish to find out where is the best spot for Shinkansen without getting into the platform.  I think a station bridge at Toyohashi station might be good spot.

bikkuri bahn

Finding decent spots to shoot the Shinkansen within the Tokyo city limits appears to be a constant battle with fencing, barriers, poles, and the like. The Tamachi location outside the station seems to be a popular spot, though the shots I have seen appear to be taken higher up on the stairs.  Another location is along the long straight section in Ota Ward, near Numabe station.  There are a number of overpasses here which provide overhead views.  The area around the Tamagawa River bridge may also provide opportunities, though the equipment you use may be a limitation.  I think you have to be creative with your angles, as well as using vantage points such as outside stairwells of neighboring buildings, etc.

But, as Leo says, they're still interesting photos--maybe *more* interesting than a train picture with everything else out of the way.

But it is striking just how few trees there are in an area that dense. Although I guess the areas around railway lines would be denser and less vegetated than average.

Thank you for your comments.

This must be one of the spots in Ota ward.

You precariously stand on the gray concrete ledge where the two fences meet.

S7302975.jpg

You can be this close to the passing Shinkansen.

S7302968.jpg

If it isn't clear, coming towards me.

S7302957.jpg

Going away.

S7302965.jpg

S7302969.jpg

S7302970.jpg

The closest station is Ontakesan station on the Ikegami Line. Get off at that station and follow the Shinkansen elevated tracks back towards Tokyo. You will be walking uphill. Maybe 15 to 20 minutes and you might see spots that you can use on the way. The stairs for the first pedestrian overpass can be used to shoot in the morning. The other direction isn't as nice. Or get off at Senzokuike or Nagahara and walk towards Kaizuka JHS. This spot is next to the last (eastern most) street crossing over the tracks near the JHS. Is it worthwhile? The field of view is limited and the perch slightly uncomfortable. But you can get an idea from the photos. This spot is better in the afternoon as the sun will be on your back.

Best wishes,

Grant

If you try to shoot from the street from the location in the previous post.

S7302976.jpg

From the bridge next to that spot. Concerning the erection of wire fences on bridges and alongside tracks, looking at the size of the screen mesh and the plating of the wire fence on bridges with a plastic board, I believe that it was to deter people  from dropping or throwing objects at trains.

S7302978.jpg

S7302980.jpg

S7302981.jpg

East of that spot is the pedestrian walkway. Looking west and down o=towards the pedestrian overpass.

S7302983.jpg

Shooting East towards Tokyo, the view is more cluttered.

S7302986.jpg

Shooting West.

S7302984.jpg

Best wishes,

Grant

From the bridge next to that spot. Concerning the erection of wire fences on bridges and alongside tracks, looking at the size of the screen mesh and the plating of the wire fence on bridges with a plastic board, I believe that it was to deter people  from dropping or throwing objects at trains.

I don't think people throwing things at trains is a big problem in Japan as it is in western countries, I think the fences and mesh are more to stop people coming in contact with the live overhead wires.

BTW those are some great photos you are posting, you are lucky living in Tokyo and having the time to explore all these places.

Sahashinka and Westfalen,

Thank you for your replies. If there is something that I can shoot in Tokyo, feel free to ask. As long as I can cycle there and use my digital camera, it doesn't cost much.

Thanks again,

Best wishes,

Grant

Grant, I actually love your photos! You know why? Because EVERYONE has the same old shots of Shinkansen in open areas, seeing the whole trains, at speed, etc... It's the same stuff over and over. Yours are actually very interesting because they show a side of Shinkansen that no one sees or cares to post! I love them!

• Like 1
bikkuri bahn
I don't think people throwing things at trains is a big problem in Japan as it is in western countries, I think the fences and mesh are more to stop people coming in contact with the live overhead wires.

Occasionally you will hear reports of rocks, concrete blocks, etc. being placed on tracks (usually in more suburban or semi-rural areas where the possibility of being seen is less), usually the work of some maladjusted youth, but yes, such antisocial behavior as the "rocking" of trains is relatively rare in Japan.  I have personally witnessed a group of youths throwing rocks at the Amtrak train I was riding in the Central Valley of California. It doesn't help that many rail lines in the US run through the more economically depressed sections of a city or town, where people feel more disenfranchished from society.  That this kind of stuff doesn't happen in Japan is related to a variety of reasons, but one is that people in general like and/or respect their trains and youth are more likely to actually ride them. 

South of Osaki station on the Yamanote line. Walk out the west exit and go south along the tracks for about 8 minutes and you will come to a blue pedestrian overpass. You can shoot these photos.

S7305265.jpg

Osaki station in the background.

S7305275.jpg

The red route is an underground street with no pedestrian sidewalks. Use the white street on the west side.

S7305282.jpg

S7305281.jpg

Going away from Tokyo.

S7305270.jpg

Heading towards Tokyo.

S7305271.jpg

S7305279.jpg

S7305280.jpg

You can sometimes catch a jewel. Got here just too late to shoot it properly.

S7305266.jpg

Best wishes,

Grant

Occasionally you will hear reports of rocks, concrete blocks, etc. being placed on tracks (usually in more suburban or semi-rural areas where the possibility of being seen is less), usually the work of some maladjusted youth, but yes, such antisocial behavior as the "rocking" of trains is relatively rare in Japan.  I have personally witnessed a group of youths throwing rocks at the Amtrak train I was riding in the Central Valley of California. It doesn't help that many rail lines in the US run through the more economically depressed sections of a city or town, where people feel more disenfranchished from society.  That this kind of stuff doesn't happen in Japan is related to a variety of reasons, but one is that people in general like and/or respect their trains and youth are more likely to actually ride them. 

I recall seeing a couple of kids throwing rocks while in Tokyo a few years ago at trains along the mainline in Miyazaki. Not even twenty seconds had passed before half the old women from the apartment block ran them off, cursing, and swearing up a storm at the kids. Must've been no older than 13. It was a tad of a surprise to see this, and personally a bit offended to see rocks being hurled at a Red Express.

A byproduct of shooting detail shots of Akihabara station.

S7305748.jpg

S7305749.jpg

I think that you can get some better photos from the platform at Yurakucho or was it Shimbashi station? The Shinkansen tracks are slightly higher than the platform and there are no walls separating the tracks. Looking south on the north bound platform.

Best wishes,

Grant