Tomix enter the European N gauge market

harukablue

I don't know if this has been announced previously but I see on Heiko Stolls Japan Model Railways web page that Tomix are entering the European N gauge market with the modern "FLIRT" EMU set, I have seen several liveries advertised.

Lew

harukablue

Thats what I thought too but its under the TOMIX banner on his web site and as its  first for Lilliputt it may well be made for them by TOMIX?

Lew

Fenway Park

Lilliput is part of Bachmann Europe but will be made in China.  This is their first european venture in N.

Will be made in China.  Bachmann factories have made Tomix items for Tomy in the past including Thomas which close to Christmas one year was produced with the number reversed. 

Acknowledging there is a market for model trains outside Japan doesn't sound like Tomix, but whoever's making them I hope they do this scheme. :grin

post-218-1356992489963_thumb.jpg

Bachmann is testing brand crossover...  I heard the HO version has interior lights shine through the walls...I hope they improve the design since then.  Liliput = Bachmann not Tomix.

Some people are hoping here that Liliput will offer the Hungarian livery also, but the number of N gaugers is very small here so the chance is minimal. Just like the NOHAB from Kato.  :sad:

I've got one of the Lilliput Flirts 'on order' (I think...I need to check with the dealer in Germany to make sure he's still got my order :grin!  Its the RRX Modellbahn Union 'special version'), but I was browsing around and I saw this blog with the Flirt featured:

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/nicky2526/42893714.html

Google Translate doesn't do much justice to Japanese, so i can't really tell if he's reveiwing the new N Scale version, or an older HO one, anyone know?  Also, does anyone know when these will be released?

Thanks!

Wow...so it's out!? Awesome....now to check in on that pre-order.  Although, TBH, that Italian version Darklighter posted looks awesome.

The Liliput Flirt is a great model. Everyone on the 1zu160.net forum is thrilled by its details, technical features and price.

It's a very cool model, and I'd love to have a few, but unfortunately it's hard to get excited about the price--modelbahnshoplippe has them for US$250.

Wow...so it's out!? Awesome....now to check in on that pre-order.  Although, TBH, that Italian version Darklighter posted looks awesome.

Yes they are, maybe you should change your DB version to a nicer Italian version. ;)

It's a very cool model, and I'd love to have a few, but unfortunately it's hard to get excited about the price--modelbahnshoplippe has them for US$250.

I agree with you. However, folks who are used to paying more than US$200 for a loco think its a bargain.  :grin

(And you have to consider its features: LED interior lighting, plug-in decoder interface, 2 motors, ...)

Martijn Meerts

I've had the RRX version on pre-order for quite a while. Was intended to be a xmas present for my father, since it was supposed to be released at the end of 2010. It got pushed to May 2011, which is fine, because it's my father's birthday in May :)

Even being used to Japanese prices, the train isn't that expensive. It has 2 motors and interior lights. Interestingly though, the N-scale version has been taken off the JapanModelRailways site...

BTW, "Modellbahn Union" is a brand of the shopkeeper of JapanModelRailways. He's working together with various companies to make special versions of trains, but also some freight cars from scratch. He's been working with Arnold and Lilliput, and it wouldn't surprise me if he's worked with Tomix as well. Tomix also has some agreement with Dapol about the track cleaning car, which Dapol released in an H0 version. What still confuses me though, is that Atlas has their own version of the track cleaning car in both N and H0, but I wonder if Atlas has some sort of deal with Tomix. The cleaning cars are patented after all...

I agree...the price, when compared to Minitrix of Fleischmann LINT or Desiro's seems really good, and the reviews on 1zu160 seem really positive (which seems rare!).    However, when compared to an 8 car set from Kato/Tomix, it seems crazy though!!!

Yes they are, maybe you should change your DB version to a nicer Italian version. ;)

I expect I will end up with both  :grin

Tomix also has some agreement with Dapol about the track cleaning car, which Dapol released in an H0 version.

I could swear I saw a Tomix (or MicroAce?) UK train set on eBay a little while back.  I believe it was an EMU in "Cross Country" colors?  That surprised me a bit and I wasn't sure if it was an error, or a smart bit of marketing on behalf of either Tomix or MicroAce.

I could swear I saw a Tomix (or MicroAce?) UK train set on eBay a little while back.   I believe it was an EMU in "Cross Country" colors?  That surprised me a bit and I wasn't sure if it was an error, or a smart bit of marketing on behalf of either Tomix or MicroAce.

The problem on EBay is that sometimes sellers don't even know they are selling... Once I saw a "Shinakansen", it was in fact a limited express.

Not counting sellers that put something like that: "KATO TOMIX MICRO ACE Ngauge train" for a single item...

Martijn Meerts

I could swear I saw a Tomix (or MicroAce?) UK train set on eBay a little while back.  I believe it was an EMU in "Cross Country" colors?  That surprised me a bit and I wasn't sure if it was an error, or a smart bit of marketing on behalf of either Tomix or MicroAce.

The problem on EBay is that sometimes sellers don't even know they are selling... Once I saw a "Shinakansen", it was in fact a limited express.

Not counting sellers that put something like that: "KATO TOMIX MICRO ACE Ngauge train" for a single item...

The thing is, people will buy it, and pay WAY too  much. They see a train they haven't seen before, read the description, which in most cases says very rare limited edition, and they just pay up.

There was a Kato Haruka set for sale recently on this Dutch auction site, it was the old version, not the recently re-released one. The seller called it a high speed train, and the asking price was well over 200 euro. I talked to him about it, but he (initially) refused to go below 200. After some weeks he mailed me again all of a sudden saying I could have it for 150, which was still more than a new set at HS :)

Hobby Dreamer

Hi Quinn,

I'm flirting with the idea of getting a Flirt!!

I've got one of the Lilliput Flirts 'on order

Do you mind me asking who you deal with and whether they speak English.. I don't have a layout but am I correct that this is a limited run model?  I'll probably get the DB version, although this seems like the train I was looking for to run on a viaduct above the trams.  There is something about this train that I really like..

I thought about Bombardier Talents but the flirt looks quite cool!!!

Thanks

Rick

I agree with you, the Flirt has a solid/muscular look to it that most DMU's/EMU's don't have...and definitely a better priced than a Lint!

I ordered mine from http://www.modellbahn-kramm.com/index.cfm?sprache=E.  Their English is okay, the site is a bit old-fashioned, but I find it loads quickly and is fairly easy to navigate.  Surprisingly, looks like they're still taking orders for the RRX version (I'm glad I ordered this one looking at the photo again, love the orange/black!).  Here's the direct link:

http://www.modellbahn-kramm.com/E/artikel.cfm?fid=503&artnr=MU11000&nav=0

At 185,00 Euro's, its about 250 USD at today's exchange rate, but they do credit back the EU VAT (30 Euro!) so that brings the actual price down to 210 USD, with shipping, between 20 and 30 USD.

Another option (and the only North American that I'm aware of to offer these) is Eurolokshop or Tee-Usa.  http://www.tee-usa.com/index.html  Their pricing is actually better than ordering from Germany, and shipping would be expected to be a lot lower as well!  Unfortunately, I don't think they have the RRX version available.

http://www.tee-usa.com/store/liliput-n-scale.html

After this one, I just need to get one of those Arnold SNCF/TER Alsace DMU's and I'm done buying (mostly, but these two are the last things on my want list)!

Hobby Dreamer

Thanks Quinn..

You are a "master" of innovative N scale modelling!  That RRX does look great - and it seems slightly different from the other Flirts.

From some of the links you have posted there seems to be a whole world of N-scale sites out there. I have found that train sites are either Yahoo - meaning not a great format for viewing; or they are really "old school" where you can imagine the members wear engineers caps etc.

I appreciate the links to stores; it helps a lot as I am more into N-scale trams and general N than Japanese.

My dilemma is that I want 2 trains!!!  (but have only one wallet)

Cheers

Rick

Just saw the SBB livery in a model shop in Geneva for 299CHF (230€). It made me wonder...  :grin

I got one of those last week from my local model shop in Zurich, Switzerland. Swiss Francs 279 / JPY 24'400 / USD 293 / GBP 181 / EUR 215. It's the first n-gauge model of Bachmann's Liliput outfit. It's very impressiv, not just the details but also the engine, a smoothie and absurdly fast... I can't remember a better deal on any swiss prototype model!

Just saw the SBB livery in a model shop in Geneva for 299CHF (230€). It made me wonder...  :grin

I got one of those last week from my local model shop in Zurich, Switzerland. Swiss Francs 279 / JPY 24'400 / USD 293 / GBP 181 / EUR 215. It's the first n-gauge model of Bachmann's Liliput outfit. It's very impressiv, not just the details but also the engine, a smoothie and absurdly fast... I can't remember a better deal on any swiss prototype model!

Please stop! ^^,

I really love Swiss trains and SBB but I must admit it's note the best color scheme for this train.

I feel tempted, but I also know I could buy two 6 cars shinkansen for the same price... :-/