Tokyo Marui Pro-Z Scale Layout

Guest ___

I always hate to revise dead posts, but I just thought I'd make a quick little review on them since it seems like there's no one on here modeling in Z.

The first time I saw the Tokyo Marui Pro-Z was on my last trip to Tokyo at the model shop at Ueno Station, thought nothing really of it. Did some measuring to start work on a new N-scale layout and discovered that "She Who Must Be Obeyed" did not care for my plans. As a result, had to rethink the new layout. After some searching, ordered one from Atlanta Airsoft.

Can't stress enough that the overall level of detail they put into this system is incredible. Now only if they get around to releasing the expansion sets and trains... They have had some issues with release dates being pushed back several times, and when they do finally release new products they go into immediate back order due to the strong sales.

I only wished that it had catenary poles, and maybe a signal or two. I have not seen anything in their rel;ease plans for them, and the layout is not pre-wired for them. Of course if the popularity of this system continues as it has been in Japan, I would expect to see signals and poles before too long.

Anyone who hasn't looked in to them in detail should really give it a try. It's nowhere near as hard to work with as I thought. And if you're living in 500Sqft of space, it can go a long way.

PROs:

Small scale

Complete layout RTR

Expandable

Incredibly detailed

CONs

It might be small for old fingers

It's already assembled (no fun for the scenery folks)

Slow release schedule

Difficult to locate kits

I think given some more time and expansion with the set I can give more insight on the pro and con arguments for this set. Train sets are going for about 200.oo USD which is a little more expensive than a comparable KATO or TOMIX set. However the attention to detail considering the size is well worth it.

prozeg6.jpg

Here's the basic kit, I have on the floor cause the table has a neko sleeping on it.

Martijn Meerts

Nekos and trains don't necessarily go together too well =)

Looks pretty cool, you forget to mention the whole lot comes factory equipped with lighting though ;)

I thought they look very interesting and certainly perfect for the Japanese market.  One thing I always wonder though is how come it has taken so long for the Japanese manufacturers to go into the Z scale market.

In another forum model railroad forum from Taiwan, I saw the Pro-Z product might have defective interior lighting system that might melt the plastic shell.  I hope this is an only isolated incident.

Martijn Meerts

The problem with Z-scale is that it's very sensitive to dust and dirt. Also, with Marklin at least, the track and track connections are very fragile, so it's really no good for a temporary floor layout.

These modules will of course solve the 2nd problem, will be interesting to see how well they run.

I'm not sure how they could melt much of anything yet alone a styrene shell, the LEDs are just that, LEDs and do not emit heat like an incandescent does.

Tokyo Marui actually did use to make Z-scale trains back in the 60's up through the mid-70's, but got out of it. As to why they got back into it again, I hope to find out as I am talking with them right now about setting up a display at a local model shop.

It's not staying on the floor. I just had it sitting there till I could fight the cat off of the table. The layout would last even shorter there as soon as the cat figures out there is something that moves in a big circle for her to chase.

Martijn Meerts

I didn't mean you'd keep it on the floor, but rather that it seems common in Japan to have temporary floor layouts, something that Z-scale isn't really designed for =)

CaptOblivious

I can understand using the Tokyo Marui layout modules for reasons stated above, but I presume the trains would run fine on Marklin track? Were one interested in doing their own modules, perhaps?

Also, how big is that layout?

I don''t know about whether or not the Pro-Z stuff is compatible with the Marklin stuff. It would be interesting to see though. The foot print of the A & B modules is roughly 18"x30" if I had to take a guess. It's not much longer than my Nikon D2Hs and 300mm.

The Z-scale stuff is pretty much desired to be a temporary dinner table top layout. It's pretty small. Not really too worried about the dust through since when I'm not running it,I just put it away in the box it came with.I'll try and see if I can make a video of it later, and maybe line it next to some HO scale stuff for a comparison.

CaptOblivious

I don''t know about whether or not the Pro-Z stuff is compatible with the Marklin stuff. It would be interesting to see though. The foot print of the A & B modules is roughly 18"x30" if I had to take a guess. It's not much longer than my Nikon D2Hs and 300mm.

The Z-scale stuff is pretty much desired to be a temporary dinner table top layout. It's pretty small. Not really too worried about the dust through since when I'm not running it,I just put it away in the box it came with.I'll try and see if I can make a video of it later, and maybe line it next to some HO scale stuff for a comparison.

OK, I'll bite, but this should probably be responded to in the Introduction thread...photographer by trade or choice? I'm guessing trade, since most amateurs like myself have to choose between dropping the $$ on trains or on glass, and I choose trains most of the time :D

Yup, trade.

I see the Micro-train stuff everywhere. It's kinda odd because the two local hobby shops in town here have the track for it, but do not carry in-stock any thing else, no cars, engines, nothing.

I would guess that they would run on micro-train track, but since I do not have any of it, I can't answer that for sure. If I understand correctly, the Marklin is German. Since I know nothing of German stuff, are they running the same prototypical gauge in Germany that Japan runs?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if Pro-Z is making it true to scale, that if the Germans run 4'8 1/2" inch or whatever they run the distance between rail may not be the same. Like I said, I have no experience with the other systems, or with German railroading.

Just found the thread I saw back early this year from an Overseas forum site in regards to the quality of Marui Pro-Z Scale from one model railroader.

Apparently the gentleman bought the Yamanote train set back in March of 2008.  After playing a while, the directional lighting got 'burned' and the front end of the train melted.  He sent it back to Marui for a full replacement.

The thread can be found below.

http://www.bvehk.net/thread-6323-1-1.html

Please use google translate from Chinese to English.

Having said that, it seems to be an isolated incident but the gentleman said to definitely keep your receipt until you know your set works fine.

SNV32877.jpg

SNV32879.jpg

Martijn Meerts

The thing is, Japan uses 2 gauges. Standard for shinkansen, narrow for most others. That's why N-scale in Japan is both 1:150 and 1:160, to make sure that everything can run on standard 9mm N-scale track.

I expect they've done the same with Z-scale, rather than be exactly to scale, they've made it compatible with all current Z-scale. In fact, I believe you're not even allowed to call it Z-scale unless it runs together with other Z-scale.

I would guess that they would run on micro-train track, but since I do not have any of it, I can't answer that for sure. If I understand correctly, the Marklin is German. Since I know nothing of German stuff, are they running the same prototypical gauge in Germany that Japan runs?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if Pro-Z is making it true to scale, that if the Germans run 4'8 1/2" inch or whatever they run the distance between rail may not be the same. Like I said, I have no experience with the other systems, or with German railroading.

I'm still wondering how an LED could get hot enough to burn that plastic. I'm willing to bet it was however an isolated incident because the time this occurred appears to be within the week or two upon the release date of that set. TM was under a lot of pressure to get this set out as the Yamanote Line trains and Pro-Z basic sets were several months behind schedule for release that QC might have been pushed aside for production numbers. The order book as I understand it was pretty packed for this set. Of course with such a tiny motor and limited cooling I tend to run my set a really short time. I actually wanted the Yamanote Line set, and couldn't get them due to a back order situation. The demand seems to exceed production capacity at the moment.

Now as to the gauge, I too suspect that TM' would do the gauge as they do with N-scale. (Which was how I should have originally stated that in the last post, but was at a loss for a comparison at the time) I would think they would do the same thing, and that it should work with Marklin or Micro-Trains, but having not owned any track from the systems, I can't make any claim as to whether it would work on them or not. Though I might just drop by shop today and buy a piece or two of track and try.

alpineaustralia

They just have the E231 set right now. They actually show double what's there. The first listing is the buy it now, while the dupe is the auction. I almost bought my set from them, but it came out cheaper getting it from Atlanta Airsoft as they had free S&H. I got some of my J-pals looking into the release dates for more. When I get a few more paychecks built up, I'll order the Yamanote Line set. (Damn new Jeep payment eats in to all my hobbies!)

It is possible that the ballast resistor is the cause and that the user tried running with more than correct voltage or had the CL voltage set too high. The higher the voltage the more power is being dissipated by the resister to avoid burning out the LED and more power means more heat. 

cheers Garth

I'm still wondering how an LED could get hot enough to burn that plastic. I'm willing to bet it was however an isolated incident because the time this occurred appears to be within the week or two upon the release date of that set. TM was under a lot of pressure to get this set out as the Yamanote Line trains and Pro-Z basic sets were several months behind schedule for release that QC might have been pushed aside for production numbers. The order book as I understand it was pretty packed for this set. Of course with such a tiny motor and limited cooling I tend to run my set a really short time. I actually wanted the Yamanote Line set, and couldn't get them due to a back order situation. The demand seems to exceed production capacity at the moment.

Now as to the gauge, I too suspect that TM' would do the gauge as they do with N-scale. (Which was how I should have originally stated that in the last post, but was at a loss for a comparison at the time) I would think they would do the same thing, and that it should work with Marklin or Micro-Trains, but having not owned any track from the systems, I can't make any claim as to whether it would work on them or not. Though I might just drop by shop today and buy a piece or two of track and try.