Rice Planting

bill,

thanks very cool! great planter machine, and could be kitbashed from a small tractor pretty easily. love how the pickers pull individual plants out of the packs! then the hand planting to clean up the turns!

another interesting reference video, timelapse of rice growth

cheers

jeff

heres the hand version of this

another interesting scene would be a small seedling field

perhaps a plastic sheet green house

i keep wandering the craft store isles and even the fabric store to find something that would give rice seedlings spaced about right and the right size that you could then flood with muddy brown layers of gloss medium. nothing has jumped out. AsiaNrails has uses some astro turfs for this and i keep meaning to try and get some samples to try. they have also used the hook side of heavy duty velcro for young plants, but it comes out very very uniform and thick stocky plants. hand planting a field in n scale does not look like fun (asiaNrails did it with small bunches of broom bristles.)

im sure by the time we find something tomytec will finally get around to selling a kit of a few different growth sizes!

cheers

jeff

• Like 1

Hi. I don't know about seedlings. But we have sheets of rice fields here. You can go with plowed and ready to be planted fields. Or fields just planted with water added.(not real water of course)..

Chris

chris,

hi, when you say you have them here, do you mean someone is selling these in n scale? love to know the manufacturer as this has been a pain for many modelers to roll their own when they dont want to. tomytec has some that just hit the market last week but mine have not shown up yet. folks have used hand planting of broom straw, embrodery thread, and cutting up astro turf to create rice in various stages, but it can get very very tedious!

any new ideas welcome!

cheers

jeff

Capt,

did more just get announced? the spring and autumn fields were just releases last week and are now for sale at hs.

tomytec does have this really annoying habit of announcing things just when you sit down to do it! i had a sidewalk lunch cart about 2/3rds built from scratch when they announced their 3 food carts!

cheers

jeff

Capt,

did more just get announced? the spring and autumn fields were just releases last week and are now for sale at hs.

tomytec does have this really annoying habit of announcing things just when you sit down to do it! i had a sidewalk lunch cart about 2/3rds built from scratch when they announced their 3 food carts!

cheers

jeff

Oh, my mistake! Sometimes its hard to tell what's on reserve, and what's been released already! No, I don't know of anything besides those you mentioned.

chris,

hi, when you say you have them here, do you mean someone is selling these in n scale? love to know the manufacturer as this has been a pain for many modelers to roll their own when they dont want to. tomytec has some that just hit the market last week but mine have not shown up yet. folks have used hand planting of broom straw, embrodery thread, and cutting up astro turf to create rice in various stages, but it can get very very tedious!

any new ideas welcome!

cheers

jeff

Sorry, I was at work, and couldn't respond..

Actually I just saw it hanging on the rack. I don't know the name or the manufacturer. But I will make sure I take a pic, and get the info when I go back on Saturday...

Chris

Chris,

thanks, cool to here if there is something new from another source! may be the new tomytec as they just hit the market in the last week. mine are held up waiting for another tomytec item to get release to be shipped yet! hoping they will be a nice starting point to paddies w/o having to hand plant, not sure if i want to invest that much time into a scene right now!!

Cheers

jeff

Ok, just got back from the store.. And I took some pics.. Sorry, only had my phone with me..

But there were two sets of rice fields. One set before planting. And the other just after when the water is being put in.. I am surrounded by rice fields where I live, so they seem ok for what they are... Anyway. From memory, they were about 25cm by 25cm sheets, but I could be wrong on that..

The pics.

Photo-0047.jpg

Photo-0048.jpg

Photo-0049.jpg

Chris

This rice paddy in central Japan is interesting for it's small size and the way it's sides follow the contours of the adjoining hillside. The paddy is only half harvested allowing us to see both the cut stalks laid out on the ground as well as the uncut plants bending under their bounty of grain. It's sights like that which remind me of the changing seasons in a very ancient land.

The following information was provided by my friend and YouTube member "fulcher33":

"Quick Japanese lesson for you and your viewers, Kurt. Using the word "gohan" when talking about rice is referring to it in it's cooked state. Uncooked rice is called "kome". The word "kome" can be used for rice whether it's raw on the stalk like this or in a bag in the supermarket. A lot of times you will here it said as "okome". Either way, with the o or without."

The dramatic rice fields of Japan are a powerful feature of its landscape and cultural heritage.

But the age old practice of cultivation is in danger.

The lure of city life is draining the countryside of its youth, and farmers are finding it more and more difficult to harvest their crops.

But there are small signs of hope.

Al Jazeera's Divya Gopalan reports from Chikuma, where there's renewed vigour for keeping the rice paddies alive.

i'm lucky enough to say i have worked on a rice farm in japan.

My wife's aunty and uncle own 10 fields in osaka southern area i helped for fun once in summer after the danjiri festival

was a fun experience. The place was riddled with green frogs too.

bikkuri bahn
The place was riddled with green frogs too.

Sounds nice.  Very organic.  In the old days, rice fields were full of wildlife, including fish, as well as fireflies at night.  Unfortunately modern techniques using pesticide wiped out alot of beneficial species along with the pests.

The place was riddled with green frogs too.

Sounds nice.  Very organic.  In the old days, rice fields were full of wildlife, including fish, as well as fireflies at night.  Unfortunately modern techniques using pesticide wiped out alot of beneficial species along with the pests.

as always the human race is good at stuffing the world  :grin we should be proud ....

but yeah you can still see fish in some of the more remote rice fields mainly ones near the few remaining rivers that are not touched by man yet.

i have always wondered about fire flies i have been to many locations in japan in summer including remote areas and have been unlucky to ever see one.

I went into an old coal mine on the weekend up in blue mountains in sydney and saw glow worms i guess as close as i am going to get huh!!!