new tomytec tug and hospital for august

Well tomytec seems to be going to the odd stuff now.

first is two hospitals added to the building collection. one appears to be an older 2 story structure and the other a more modern looking 3 story, but the pictures right now are pretty blurry b/w picts. surprised they did not do more general modern buildings before jumping to a hospital. seems like they could do a good business on a modular 4=8 story buildings (ie ones that could easily stack) or just more contemporary 2-5 story buildings for the average small city scene. these seem almost as esoteric as the church series.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10116548

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10116551

second is two tugs and log barge. these seem like an odd addition. these are going to require quite the harbor/water scene to handle these! but they will actually probably sell well in the non japanese market as they are a pretty standard looking harbor tug and at $9 should sell well!

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10116555

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10116556

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10116560

wonder if they will are waterline only or have a removable below water hull section so you could put them up in drydock!

cheers

jeff

Yeah, I saw the tugs on the HW site--tempting, but I don't want to get forced to build a harbor!

The hospitals could be OK, but I wish they had better pictures.

The tug boat and barge look very nice. At the moment my river is pretty barren when it comes to boats, I guess my harbor closed for Golden Week.

post-22-13569924698567_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Regarding the modern hospital, I Love this:

- 3 split horizontally layered structure that can be extended vertically.

Brilliant thinking again Tomy!  This means multiple kits for many of is! Woohoo!

Not saying not do them, just seems like a lot of more regular stuff that is thinly covered like more typical small to medium sized city buildings. they did the heck out of older buildings with the town collections, would be wonderful to have a similar coverage of more small to medium sized city buildings. i guess they did two hospitals to do older and newer structures to satisfy everyone with time periods.

i guess the tugs and log barge will work well with a dockside scene w/o doing a lot of harbor water area, wonder if they are going to do a dock set to go with this.

cheers

jeff

quinntopia
Not saying not do them, just seems like a lot of more regular stuff that is thinly covered like more typical small to medium sized city buildings. they did the heck out of older buildings with the town collections, would be wonderful to have a similar coverage of more small to medium sized city buildings. i guess they did two hospitals to do older and newer structures to satisfy everyone with time periods.

i guess the tugs and log barge will work well with a dockside scene w/o doing a lot of harbor water area, wonder if they are going to do a dock set to go with this.

cheers

Yeah, I'm with you Jeff.  They are doing that other new series of buildings though, but would be nice to see a few more straight up office complexes.  http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10114269

The more I look at more modern city architecture, it seems there are so many styles that are not yet touched yet (In Japan or elsewhere) that would very easily make for a modular design.  Let's hope that the apparent enthusiasm for Portam (from both companies) drives renewed investment in urban scenery!  :grin

in looking at the hospitals they could easily be adapted for other places. the older one looks like it could easily be a school (ala the greenmax kit) or older local gov building. also the more modern one could be anything like an office building or light manufacturing building (ala kato and tomix). it does not look like they are very easily stacked though for more stories. you could chop out the upper two stories on the three story to add onto a 3 story to get 5, but would require a good hack/wack job it looks like.

so i think they are a good addition unlike the church set which is not very adaptable to other uses.

cheers

jeff

quinntopia

Ahhh...much better photos! Thanks Jeff!  I agree, these could both be easily re-purposed for other uses!

interesting from the Shizuoka show pictures the more modern hospital seems to be three square sections. the outer two have doors at the first floor and the center does not (although maybe its just flipped around. a single center block like this is shown by itself (w/o the first floor doors in the visible side) along with the exterior stair case. wondering if this means you could stack more of these up for taller structures?! it looks like the roof has tab opens all along all 4 edges so perhaps this is a standard block and you just flip them around with one side all windows and the other side having the first floor doors. only rub with this is you only can use the upper two floors or maybe just have the doors open out to the little skinny deck they have on each floors. stair case looks like it comes apart by floor like the tomix apartment building does.

cheers

jeff

http://www.hobby-show.info/shizuoka2010/0383.htm

http://www.hobby-show.info/shizuoka2010/0384.htm

disturbman

I don't find these items so out of place. Hospital is a usual structure in our modern cities. Even churches is quite a common sight in japanese cities. Now I'm waiting for their wedding parlors. They are everywhere.

The boats go well with the "port and fish market" products Tomytec is already selling. Actually, they already have boats in their catalogs. I saw plenty of them sitting on the shelves of the hobby shops back in Osaka.

well these finally showed up!

the tug and barge are nice. they are only waterline, not meant for any dry dock scene, but thats cool. tug is nicely detailed and could be a starter for various sorts of work boats.

the hospitals are nice. they are made as modular sets. this would be fantastic if they would have included a few extra parts. the modern hospital (hospital B) is made up of 3 uniform 3 story modules that you just shove together. each module has two facing walls with the windows and the other two walls with one blank and the other with the stair well exit doors. you can make them with as many modules long as you want (if you buy multiple kits). you could even create an L or T shaped building. you could even go vertical and make it more stories. only limiting thing is the exterior stairs on one end which they only give you 3 floors for in each kit. each floor comes apart into separate levels. the first floor of each module has a ground level door on one side (and you only get window decks for the upper two floors) so if you want to go vertical with two kits you really can only go 5 stories with two kits. at $25 a kit its probably not a very economical way to build a larger building, but two kits might make an interesting 5 story building that you could have a 1 story level on the front or back side as well. kind of thinking of getting a second one to try this.

the older hospital kit (hospital A) also is modular with left and right end and three center sections. you could combine two kits to try to enlarge this kit, but i dont think it would get you much but a very long 2 story building and two extra ends that would be tough to use. basically this one is best used as is. the center three modules have open sides (unlike the modern hospital modules) and only full walls on the front and back. its sort of like a small version of the green max school in design.

cheers

jeff