J Train Magazines

Over the past several years I have built up a small collection of Japanese train magazines, prototype and model. Generally Japanese train magazines are published about the 22 or 23 of each month with the exception of DJ which is published on the 15th.

The size and weight of Japanese train magazines can be a surprise to those of us used to US published railway magazines.  

Although the magazines are written in Japanese characters there are numerous photos, maps and sometimes diagrams or car plans to pursue.  Most of these magazines are of very high quality very similar to National Geographic. Most magazines have left hand binding, although there are some exceptions.

Coverage in many of prototype magazines focuses on specific rolling stock types, typically passenger and EMU stock while model train magazines focus on new models with little coverage of layouts or creating scenery. Overseas coverage generally is restricted to European systems, perhaps this is because there is a lot of interest in new technology in Japan and there isn't much new railway technology in North America.

Prototype Magazines

Japan Railfan Magazine

When I think of the Japanese rail fan scene I think of Japan Railfan Magazine.  It's published monthly and usually sells out quickly.  Outside of Japan you may have to reserve to have a chance of getting the more popular issues. The newest equipment is usually on the cover unless a major retirement is at hand. The magazine itself is of very high quality.Foldout car plans are found at the back of the magazine each month.

The Railway Pictorial

Published by the Electric Car Society this apparently is a long running publication.  Photos generally are small and probably the smallest of all magazines I have encountered and it has far more black and white photos than most other publications.

DJ: The Railroad Diagram Information

As mentioned before this magazine is published on the 15th of the month.  The May 2010 issue has extensive photo coverage of changes to the JR schedule effective on March 13th.  In North America publishing lead times are much longer and coverage won't probably appear until the June or July issue. There is a fold-out schedule diagram (or "diamond" as this translates) in the back of each issue as its prime feature. The May 2010 issue has good article on the Series 113 EMUs which are disappearing in the larger cities. If the small number of photos at the front of this magazine are not of interest you may feel there is not too much of interest for you.  There are pages of text only coverage of events in the middle of the magazine.  Still a very good publication.

Railway Journal

Very good general coverage with many good color photos, several small car plans of less detail than Japan Railfan Magazine.   Lots of variety in coverage within a single issue.

RM Models

A large, over size magazine with entirely focused on various models in various scales.

Hobby of Model Railroading

This is one magazine where you will see articles on layouts.  There seemed to be one article per issue on a layout when I picked up several issues a couple of years ago.  There was an interesting series on various minor private railway junctions and terminals including several points on abandoned Meitetsu 600v lines at Gifu.  Photo coverage of new models in various scales including some brass.

N Nine Scale World

An interesting magazine printed on a less glossy stock than the typical Japanese train magazine.  The binding is on the right side in traditional Japanese style.  There numerous close-up photos of mass market train models, many of which have somewhat shiny plastic look. The Japanese character text  appears to run right to left or up to down.

Other

I have probably forgotten a few magazines. There also is Rail Magazine published by Neko Publishing which  also publishes RM Models.  Also there is Train magazine which I don't think I've purchased.

I order my magazines through Hobby Search--make sure you select SAL shipping!!!!!  I believe it is possible to order magazines through Amazon.jp but there may be a hefty registration fee in some cases.

• Like 2

Bill, thanks for posting this.  I was just about to start a new thread on magazines, and I see you've mentioned Hobby Search.  I've ordered through Kinokuniya's US stores a few times, Tetsudo Fan and Tetsudo Journal typically cost in the low 20s (USD) shipped, per issue.  I see that Hobby Search charges in yen, so although the exchange rate is a bit of a hit, how does that SAL shipping work out?

Also, to comment on Neko Publishing's Rail Magazine: impressive photography, I'll give them that, but I usually prefer the content of Tetsudo Fan or Tetsudo Journal.

And yes, you can order through amazon.jp, you can even switch the interface to English, but they will only ship by some kind of express mail, plus a handling charge.  So, just S&H would come up to USD30+, if I recall correctly.

Even though I can't read the text, when I get a new issue of Japan Railfan Magazine I spend more time looking at it than I do the latest issue of Trains magazine. :grin

bikkuri bahn

To add (for those with some Japanese language skills):

The Railway Pictorial is a sister publication to TMS (Hobby of Model Railroading).  It's not so popular with the general railfan audience, but it provides detailed articles on specific topics (often issues cover one theme) written by authorities in the field.  It is comparable in detail to the journals put out by historical societies or some of the single railway journals put out by British publishers (GWR, etc.)

Railway Journal has the best articles on the economic and operational side of railways.  Frequently visited topics are the competition between JR and private railways and the realities of rural and third sector railway operation.  I like the old (pre-JR) issues of this mag, because their travel articles are interesting, with descriptions of long gone services and railway stock.

Rail Magazine has the best photography, by far.  It focuses more on the active railfan aspect of the hobby- shooting locations, soon to be withdrawn rolling stock, etc. and less on operations, technical details, and history.  Their annual freight issue with schedules is probably the highlight issue.  The publisher of this magazine, Neko, has the highest quality books by far, of any of the railway publishers.  Their steam era publications, in particular, are superb (Kokutetsu jidai, etc.).

J train  is a favorite of mine, its published quarterly by Ikaros, which is mainly an airline magazine publisher.  Don't let that turn you off though, because their themed issues have a lot of detail, usually a good balance of new and old.  Emphasis on freight, blue trains, operations, and historical.

JRF is my mag of choice.

Do you buy it online or at a shop in the area?

Historically, I buy one copy on each trip to Japan, plus we have a Japanese bookstore here in DC that sells them, as well as a big one in NYC on Avenue of the Americas.

Tower records use to sell them. I had a chance back in 04, or early 05 just before going to Kyoto to buy a huge collection up form their bargain bin, but I passed on it seeing no interest in the time in J-trains. I'm still kicking my own ass for that one.

I know that Rainbow Ten will sell you RM magazine,

Lew

Yes! you have right, and if you ask to Mr.Nao you can subscribe monthly release, I use this method and he reserved for me in the past 5 year all the RM Models, Railway Magazine and TMS Hobby of Model Railroading

ciao

Massimo

Hello,

If anyone has the June 2004 issue of Japan RailFan Magazine. Could you please scan the article on The Osaka Loop Line. Can anyone suggest other issues that may have info on that area as that is the area I am interested in modeling. If anyone wants to sell their copy I would pay for it.

Thanks

John

Picked up a Tetsudou Fan and Tetsudou Journal at Kinokuniya NYC a few weeks ago.  USD:JPY = OUCH!  They keep up with the exchange rate, apparently, the Tetsudou Fan was $20!  I think it was more like $16 in the past.

Picked up a Tetsudou Fan and Tetsudou Journal at Kinokuniya NYC a few weeks ago.  USD:JPY = OUCH!  They keep up with the exchange rate, apparently, the Tetsudou Fan was $20!  I think it was more like $16 in the past.

The yen is ridiculously strong right now compared to the dollar - it's a killer.  (I run a business selling Japanese clothes in the US, and it's killing us too.)  I still remember when it was like 370 yen to the dollar in the 1980's... now it's 84!

Anyway, the original post mention "Train" magazine - I have one of these from 2007 that I picked up randomly and it's a beautifully done magazine, with great photography.  I can't seem to find it anywhere anymore, though - is it still around?

I just ordered a Railfan and an RM Models from Amazon (I needed to order some other stuff for my business so just tacked them on), thanks to the OP for that recommendation.  I was wondering which were good magazines and found this thread in a search.

Anyway, the original post mention "Train" magazine - I have one of these from 2007 that I picked up randomly and it's a beautifully done magazine, with great photography.  I can't seem to find it anywhere anymore, though - is it still around?

Yes, it's still being published, but as you say, it's hard to find in bookstores, even here in Japan.  One possible reason is that it is a niche model railroad magazine, focusing on scales other than the mass-market N scale (1/150), for example 1/87 HO (as opposed to 1/80), as well as 12mm HO.  It once had many features on North American model railroading (actually sometimes featuring cover shots of N.A trains), but the main contributor of those articles no longer seems to be active.

http://www.etrain.jp/train/train.cgi

for example 1/87 HO (as opposed to 1/80), as well as 12mm HO

Is 1/87 HO a correctly scaled version of 1067mm gauge?  I was looking through a printed Kato catalog one day when it occured to me that N gauge is probably the same size all over the world while the prototypes are not.

Also bikkuri, nice avatar.  Old Hanwa Line Rapid livery?  That was before my time (in Japan, anyway).

for example 1/87 HO (as opposed to 1/80), as well as 12mm HO

Is 1/87 HO a correctly scaled version of 1067mm gauge?  I was looking through a printed Kato catalog one day when it occured to me that N gauge is probably the same size all over the world while the prototypes are not.

Also bikkuri, nice avatar.  Old Hanwa Line Rapid livery?  That was before my time (in Japan, anyway).

I'm still a bit unsure myself, but it seems 1/87 at 12mm gauge is the prototypically correct size for representing 1067mm stock in HO gauge.  I assume the mass market 1/80 scale was a compromise to make the rolling stock look a bit more prototypical in proportion to standard HO gauge track (16.5mm).  It seems alot of 1/87 models are of expensive brass steam locomotives, I suppose the target customers are more particular about these things.

*Yes, as a matter of fact that is the livery of the first shin-kaisoku services between Kyoto and the Osaka/Kobe areas. 

What is now the Hanwa livery was more widespread back then, that 153 unit is a looker, isn't it? The shin-kaisoku services have always been top drawer, at least in my book :laugh:

1/87 scale (HO) with ordinary 16.5mm gauge track is correct for "standard gauge: (1435mm or 4' 8.5").

1/87 scale (HO) with 12mm gauge track is 1044mm, which is pretty close to 1035mm Japanese narrow gauge (to be precise it should be a hair over 1/86 scale, but nobody could see that difference)

1/80 scale (also called HO, although I think 1/87 was the original HO) with 16.5 mm track is close to Japan's tram gauge of 1372mm (its a scale 1320mm)

"N gauge" track is pretty much 9mm everywhere (2mm finescale modelers use the slightly different 9.42mm gauge to model standard gauge), but "N scale" can mean 1/148 (UK), 1/150 (Japan), or 1/160 (Japan Shinkansen models, U.S. and Europe).  I've also see 1/144 called "N scale", but that usually applied to non-train models (planes, military or buildings).

At 9mm, 1/160 is "correct" for 1435mm track (its 1440mm), so the Japanese Shinkansen and U.S./European standard gauge models are correct. The Japanese 1/150 scale with 9mm track works out to 1350mm, so its close to Japanese tram gauge (1372mm), and a fairly poor representation of 1035mm narrow gauge (to be prototypical it would need to be 1/115 scale with 9mm or 1/150 with 6.9mm track).

So I think the Japanese 1/80 and 1/150 scales originated with tram models, and were just adopted for narrow gauge models as "close enough" to avoid adding a new scale.

1/87 scale (HO) with ordinary 16.5mm gauge track is correct for "standard gauge: (1435mm or 4' 8.5").

1/87 scale (HO) with 12mm gauge track is 1044mm, which is pretty close to 1035mm Japanese narrow gauge (to be precise it should be a hair over 1/86 scale, but nobody could see that difference)

1/80 scale (also called HO, although I think 1/87 was the original HO) with 16.5 mm track is close to Japan's tram gauge of 1372mm (its a scale 1320mm)

Japanese "narrow gauge" is 1067mm.

Japanese "narrow gauge" is 1067mm.

Yep, it is.

The worst part is that I actually pulled up my reference page, which has the right number on it, as I was writing that, and still got it wrong.