New Chinese HSR design

bikkuri bahn

For me it's a bit of a mix between the 500 and the 800 (tsubame) series.

But without the Shinkansen touch I love on both of them...  :cool:

(witch train could even come close to the 500 design anyway?!)  :laugh:

There is also a bit of the recent Swiss Pendolino ETR 600.

800px-ETR_610.001_Biel1_08.jpg

It's a United Nations sort of design using similar design softwares, it's just like car designs these days...but that's another story. 

The train type is called Harmony after all.  :cheesy

Just observing from China's and Korea's past attempts in developing its own high speed trains, I think it will be a while (maybe short while?) before Korea and then China can develop a reliable model.

CaptOblivious

So funny. There are clearly elements of the 500 (cockpit), 800 (conical nose), E2 (tapering around the cockpit), 700 (flaring around the trucks). Which just goes to show there are only a handful of ways to solve particular design problems. And yet, it really does appear distinctive (in that, it doesn't appear to blatantly copy any existing Japanese design). It's not got the grace of many of the Japanese cab designs, but I like it.

Mudkip Orange

and don't forget the same empty mountain dew bottle under the seat as every Amfleet in existence

(at least, that'll be the case after they sell it to California and I get a chance to ride it)

bikkuri bahn
Guys, this is not a China design train.. It 's a Zefiro.

Actually, the one pictured (and recently broke a speed record, see: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/china/2010-09/28/c_13533337.htm) is not the Zefiro version.  The model name designations seem to be in flux, but their are design differences between the various CRH380 marks, depending on the builder.  The CRH380A in question is built by Sifang, and is based on the Kawasaki Heavy Industries E2 fitted with Siemens style bogies, though the Chinese claim this as a "digested" (their term) design that is not a copy.

test run of CRH380A:

*the Xinhua link above may not work, cut/paste may be the order

Thats what you do with a duck billed train!

It helps that in China the environmental regulations are way more lax than in Japan...