Tomix - New Releases

HS in its weekly model train newsletter has a note on Tomix's new releases for 2010.

"TOMIX has announced plans for this year's products.

Here is a summary here.

* Sayonara JR Series 489 `Noto`

* Sayonara JR Series 14 `Hokuriku`

* Sayonara JR Shinkansen Series 500 `Nozomi`

(Sayonara = Good-Bye)

* JR Series E233 Keiyo Line

* JR Electric Locomotive Type EF510-500 Hokutosei

* JNR Passenger Car Series Oha35

* JNR Passenger Car Series 24 Type 25 (Silver Stripe)

* JR Container Wagon Type Koki105

* JR/JNR Diesel Locomotive Type DE10"

• Like 2
CaptOblivious

Now it's Tomix playing "me too"! I do hope this means a redesign for the DE10, and not just a repackaging of Ol' Growly.

Bah...

again this "xerox" policy and more "Sayonara" packages (I have a lot of those models and sincerly sometime only the package is different)

Maybe I reserve one Shinkansen 500 but only because I have the previous Sayonara release (0 and 100) otherwise my collection remains uncomplete (and that's the fifth 500 excluding kitbashed V set)

I'm not sure but the last run W set don't have particular decals or painting like 0 and 100 G set, like the last run 100V set Grand Hikari have the normal livery (maybe they put a little history book inside the package)

now I wait another one EF510 Hokutosei from Microace  :grin

ciao

Massimo

A longer version of this list has been added to the HS blog.

[Extra] TOMIX Production News

We've just got news from Tomix of the items that are to be productized. So we will promptly inform you of the items!

But please note that we haven't started taking reservations yet, so please wait a while longer for the reservations to officially begin.

*The scale of those without note are of N-scale.

*The scheduled prices noted are GST inclusive, but may be changed by the manufacturer.

*A digested version of the list has been included in the mail mag sent on the 16th, for those that are subscribed to the railway model mail mag.

Decided for Production

*note: this section are items that has only been decided for production, and the price or specifications have not been determined yet.

- [Limited Edition] The Great trains that has been erased due to the revision of service plan diagram, the 'Noto' and 'Hokuriku', are to be resurrected in N-scale!

(unspecified) Sayonara Type 489 'Noto'

(unspecified) Sayonara Type 14 Sleeper Express 'Hokuriku'

- The new-comer to JR East, Series EF510 (Hokutosei) will be productized.

(unspecified) JR Series EF510 500 Electric Locomotive 'Hokutosei'

- Disappearing from the rail for Tokaido, 'Nozomi' series 500 will be productized as limited edition item.

(unspecified) Sayonara series 500 Nozomi

- The new variation of E233 series [Keiyo Line] decided for production.

(unspecified) JR series E233 5000 (Keiyo Line)

Autumn Scheduled Release

- Popular car of Series EF65, Limited Express colored type 500 P-type has been decided for production.

(9105) JNR EF65 500type Electric Locomotive (P-type late type)

- Wrapped with a silver strip, original series 24 type 25 limited express sleeper passenger car (set/single) has gone under renewal.

(95818) JNR Series 24 type 25 Nos. 100 Limited Express 7-car set (Silver Strip

(8519) JNR Passenger Car Series Kani24 type 0 (Late type silver strip) (T)

(8534) JNR Passenger Car Series Ohanefu25 type 100 (silver strip)

(8535) JNR Passenger Car Series Ohane25 type 100 (silver strip

(8539) JNR Passenger Car Series Kani24 type 100 (silver strip)

- DE10type Diesel Locomotive will be reappearing, with a fully new production.

(2222) JNR Series DE10 type 1000 Diesel Locomotive (Scheduled Price)

(2223) JR Series DE10 type 1000 (JR Freight new car) (Scheduled Price)

- Old type Passenger Car standard, series Oha 35 will arrive with complete new production.

(8543) JNR Passenger Car Series Oha 35 (Pre-war type, brown)

(8544) JNR Passenger Car Series Ohafu 33 (Pre-war type, brown)

(8545) JNR Passenger Car Series Suhani 32

(8546) JNR Passenger Car Series Mani 60 (Reformed Ohani 61 car)

- Koki 105 type has been decided to join the Koki 100 type series!

(2749) JR Freight Koki 105 type (w/o container, 2-car set)

- (HO) With retro coloring added to the oval window, the Kotoden type 3000 has been decided for production.

(HO-607) Takamatsu-Kotohira Electric Railroad type 3000 (Retro Coloring)

Summer Scheduled Release

- The combination of rail and tramway merged together, the [Wide Tram Rail] will be released this summer as a set or singles!! The tramway [Wide Tram Rail] series will be newly added to the Fine Tracks.

(1790) Wide Tram Rail S70-WT (F) (2-pieces set)

(1791) Wide Tram Rail S140-WT (F) (2-pieces set)

(1795) Wide Tram Super Mini Curve Rail C103-WT (F) (30deg, 60deg, 2-pieces set)

(1796) Wide Tram Super Mini Curve Rail C140-WT (F) (30deg, 60deg, 2-pieces set)

(1797) Wide Tram Super Mini Curve Rail C177-WT (F) (30deg, 60deg, 2-pieces set)

(0113) Wide Tram Rail - Common Road Joint (32 pcs)

- Great Set for the [Wide Tram Rail] will be lined up too!!

(91085) Wide Tram Super Mini Rail Endless Set (Rail Pattern SA-WT)

(91086) Wide Tram Mini Rail Set Basic Set (Rail Pattern MA-WT)

(additional note 1) Apparently the series DE10 is to be produced at a hi-grade concept like that of series C57.

(additional note 2) Series 24 type 25 (Silver strip) will be produced as a general Blue Train without specifying the train name, it seems.

(additional note 3) Series Koki105 will be using the mold of series Koki 104, so the specification may partially change.

(additional note 4) Wide Tram Rail may have the road parts productized in the future, may be? (mystery)

(additional note 5) Each series Oha35 (except Mani) is apparently going to have optional parts sold separately for replacing the door.

By Kapinozuka

I thought it was announced last year that the DE10 was going to be re-worked. It was already sold as TOMIX 2204, 2205 and 2208 painted the same as Growly. (I'm sure there were other p/n numbers for it with different paint liveries, but I'll be damned if I know them off the top of my head..) Maybe 2220 or 2221 is the JRF new colors for it.

CaptOblivious

Who says the Japanese don't embrace high-tech when it comes to their trains? Tomix has a new wireless throttle coming out soon:

• Like 2

What I will never get is why are we still waiting for wireless technology, (blue tooth for instance) to control the motor of the train? DCC still relies on the misgiving tracks to give command which IMHO deters person such as myself from adopting to it.  I hate wiring.

I just looked tonight.  The Tomytec 101 Series controller is still not available.  But Tomy has used wireless controllers with toys before so why not with trains?

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

DCC (and other digital systems) requires very little wiring for basic functionality really. The problem starts when you want automated control, and thus need blocks and occupancy detection. The same goes for block systems for analogue though.

Of course, the occupancy detection could be wireless as well, but there's still a certain amount of wiring needed. Also, interference is a problem with wireless, and possibly latency issues if you have a large layout.

Not that I wouldn't mind a wireless system. Being in the middle of wiring up a computer controlled layout, I know exactly how much of a pain in the backside wiring can be =)

This brings up an interesting thing that I don't get.  Waaaaaaay back in 2000 I got started with model trains with Lionel/MTH 3-Rail AC O Gauge stuff.  I used their proprietary digital operating system (of both Lionel and MTH), but in each case, the only controllers ever available for their 'digital systems' were always wireless!  Fast forward a few years to my switch to N Scale, and the seemingly much more 'open' DCC protocol and much wider user base, and its really hard to find a wireless controller!  I don't get it.    Yes, there's the Bachmann Dynamis (I had a miserable experience with their infrared controller) and the higher end ESU radio control version, and the Roco/Fleischmann controller is wireless (it seems to get positive reviews), but where are the 'rest' of the wireless controllers?  Seems like a huge market.....

Heck, now Tomix has produced a wireless DC controller!

...DCC (and other digital systems) requires very little wiring for basic functionality really...

It might only need very little... but it all still needs to be very clean and very connected. If you happen to have rampant data signals from dirty tracks/connections then your DCC trains might just choose not to listen to you.

On the other side, if the rails were finally _only_ for power and the data went through the air then you'd be set. An onboard rechargable cell (or even a hefty capacitor) could cover dirty tracks and you'd have a much easier life :)

• Like 1
...DCC (and other digital systems) requires very little wiring for basic functionality really...

It might only need very little... but it all still needs to be very clean and very connected. If you happen to have rampant data signals from dirty tracks/connections then your DCC trains might just choose not to listen to you.

On the other side, if the rails were finally _only_ for power and the data went through the air then you'd be set. An onboard rechargable cell (or even a hefty capacitor) could cover dirty tracks and you'd have a much easier life :)

That is exactly what I want.  Until that day comes, I will not touch anything lesser.

The Tomytec 101 Series controller is still not available.

You'd have noticed by a huge thread with movies and pictures by me if it was released :grin

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

That's another problem though, how much more space would a wireless system require inside the trains. EMUs, DMUs, shinkansen etc. should be fine, you have plenty space in the motor car. A steam locomotive on the other hand might be very difficult to put in a decoder, a rechargeable cell and the wireless receiver/transmitter with a decent range that has no problems with outside interference and tunnels etc. Very much doable to miniaturize everything so that it fits, but it would add a lot to the cost. Remember that DCC companies only manufacture in relatively small quantities. Current DCC decoders could quite easily be much smaller than what they are now, but the price per decoder would get outrageous ;)

Turnouts could be problematic as well. The standard turnout motors used by pretty much all the brands require a hefty amount of power, so you'll either still need to provide a power supply (and thus wiring), but the DCC commands could of course be sent wirelessly.

It's probably very much possible to come up with a completely wireless digital system, but I don't think any company would risk the cost of developing and manufacturing it at the moment. Initially the production runs would be so small, they wouldn't break even on the cost.

Again, it's not that I'm against wireless, it's just that I don't believe a lot of people would use it if it was available. Or at least not for controlling (semi-)automated layouts.

Developing a wireless device requires that you use a specific frequency to communicate on, which means the product is subject to laws to ensure it doesn't interfere with other devices. Unless you communicate with a standard protocol (such as WiFi) you'll be reduced to using one of the "open" ranges, which pits your wireless controller against things like garage door openers and portable phones. Line of sight devices (infrared) is free to use, but it's also terrible.

Unfortunately the model train industry is not very good at making use of new technology - it's very much a craftsman affair where everything is built from the ground up - so it's unlikely we'll see something like an extension to the DCC standard that specifies a standard "command over IP" or Bluetooth based communication system.

From the videos, it looks like the base station still provides power to the turnouts and the trains directly, so probably not a full digital system. The controller sends signals to the base station, which in turn controls everything else.

Still, this would be perfect for my application, except there's no release date...

What I would like to know is, why is Tomix to slow to embrace DCC? It seems to me like they have this full stash of DC products and don't feel like abandoning it. My only issue with switching is that it would cost me a ton to convert all my trains, not to mention all the time it would take to install decoders. Maybe that's the reason?

What I would like to know is, why is Tomix to slow to embrace DCC?

From what I have heard, DCC is considered not relevant to the way Japanese run their trains.  I suspect Kato's DCC efforts are aimed at the export market primarily.  I'm not expecting DCC from Tomix any time soon.

Martijn Meerts

Remember that Kato's DCC efforts are very basic. Their decoders are actually Digitrax, and they have VERY limited features. Kato's DCC is more aimed towards ease of use rather than for "the serious modeler" (by lack of a better term...)

There's also no DCC turnout/accessory control available from Kato yet, and if there will be anytime soon remains to be seen.

Unless either Kato or Tomix come up with a very good, feature rich and mostly complete digital system, I doubt anyone will be adopting it. There are just too many manufacturers specializing in DCC which already have market penetration, and will be a more obvious choice than an entirely new and unproven system.

In the end, I think they should just skip DCC, apart from perhaps making it easier to install a decoder in a train (which in itself is a problem, because there's no real standard size).

Hi guys march release

Delivery times will guide TOMYTEC March

Delivery will be March 17

New Products

The Case for 735 yen bounce bullets 13 13 Kore Kore Iron Iron 2,100 yen

TM-15 20m Power Class A3 2,980 yen iron Colle

TM-16 20.5m Power Class A 2,980 yen iron Colle

Reproduction

for traveling Parts Set TT-03 iron Colle

for traveling Parts Set TT-04 iron Colle

Delivery will be March 24

Products

Basic set of construction equipment collection travel system VOL.2 Basukore 735 A 8,190 yen yen

Delivery will be March 25

New Products

Mitsui OSK Lines, NYK Line 1,680 Torerakore two sets with two sets Torerakore yen 1,680 yen 1,680 yen Torerakore two sets Kawasaki Kisen

Delivery will be March 29

New Products

5 Both air-conditioned car prototype system midline in both A 4,725 101 5 iron Kokutetsu Colle air-conditioned car prototype system midline Kokutetsu 101 3 Car Set B 4,725 yen iron Colle system yen 2,835 yen Kokutetsu iron Colle

Reproduction

TM-08 20m Power Class A 2,980 yen iron Colle

840円 840 yen for traveling Parts Set TT-03 iron Colle

TOMIX <0230> PS16P pantograph type (2 pieces) 525

New Products

Car Set 2 1,890 7000 2-Car Set iron Hukuzima Colle Colle Hokuriku iron form 7200 yen 1,890 yen

Reproduction

TM-06 18m Power Class A 2,980 yen iron Colle

840 yen for traveling Parts Set TT-03 iron Colle

840 yen for traveling Parts Set TT-04 iron Colle

TOMIX <0238> PG16 Pantagraph (2 pieces) 525

Delivery times TOMIX March

Will be delivered in mid-March

New Products

Basic Set Twilight 90155 SD 15,750 yen

92 981 <Limited> N700 Kyushu Shinkansen system Sanyou 8000 (R2 organization) set 23,100 yen

Scheduled delivery in late March

New Products

2004 C57 Steam Locomotive (No. 1) 18,690 yen

12 92391 car series (No. Yamaguchi) 5 Car Set 14,490 yen

10,290円 92411 JR N700 basic set of 10,290 yen Kyushu Shinkansen Sanyou 8000

Kyushu Shinkansen増結set Sanyou 92412 JR N700 8000 12,810 yen

23,100円 92821 N700 -7000 Sanyou Kyushu Shinkansen series set 23,100 yen

92 970 <Limited> JR14 series "Sayonara Hokuriku" set 37,800 yen

7,140 yen color Hokutosei

Cassiopeia Color 9109 EF510 -500 7,140 yen

ightly coupled coupler type 0337 TN (total 6 SP · gray) 1,575 yen

76Post No. 94 7649 525 km (listed first)

Reproduction

62170 EF66 (JR Late update new freight cars) 6,720 yen

2174 EF66 (JR Mid freight cars update) 6,720 yen

Cooler PC6056 (one for locomotives) 735 yen

sorry bad translations from google

particularily interested in c57 was in those pics i posted in another thread

Fenway Park

Hi,

NG Blog reports Tomix will be issuing new versions of the above in July 2011. Catalogue numbers 9115 and 9116. Both will have a new flywheel chassis.

I know some members of this group have been waiting for the ED62.