JNS Forum
bill937ca

Tomix - New Releases

JR 500系

I am lucky I'm not a huge fan of those JNR trains... What interests me more is the station announcement box that was 'somewhat modified' from its previous version? I have the previous one, so I don't know what is being modified here on the new one... Plus it is still missing those iconic departure melodies... i'm guessing licensing rights... 

kvp
1 hour ago, JR 500系 said:

I am lucky I'm not a huge fan of those JNR trains... What interests me more is the station announcement box that was 'somewhat modified' from its previous version? I have the previous one, so I don't know what is being modified here on the new one... Plus it is still missing those iconic departure melodies... i'm guessing licensing rights... 

The annoucement sounds got replaced with ones recorded from the actual announcers. Anyone who listens to it daily would recognize that the voices are different. For everone else it's just a nice upgrade. I could really use a classic JNR variant or a sound card variant for using it with different lines, companies or regions.

• Thanks 1

JR 500系
10 hours ago, kvp said:

The annoucement sounds got replaced with ones recorded from the actual announcers. Anyone who listens to it daily would recognize that the voices are different. For everone else it's just a nice upgrade. I could really use a classic JNR variant or a sound card variant for using it with different lines, companies or regions.

Thanks! I am also guessing, there is a new function which ties to the sensors for automatic announcement? Doesn't seem to have that in the 1st version... I bought the 1st version and was quite disappointed by the fact that it didn't have the iconic departure melodies we love... 

kvp
3 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

Thanks! I am also guessing, there is a new function which ties to the sensors for automatic announcement? Doesn't seem to have that in the 1st version... I bought the 1st version and was quite disappointed by the fact that it didn't have the iconic departure melodies we love... 

Apparently the first version also have the TCS sensor function, but afaik no departure melodies in this version either. In theory you can add them yourself through the external input port.

JR 500系
3 hours ago, kvp said:

Apparently the first version also have the TCS sensor function, but afaik no departure melodies in this version either. In theory you can add them yourself through the external input port.

That would be mighty interesting! I know it's a tad too much to ask for, but if you could happen to guide me (or direct me to a guide) as to how I might be able to input those iconic departure melodies into the sound unit please? It would add a whole new dimension of fun and realism to driving the trains! 

Thanks in advance! 

kvp
1 hour ago, JR 500系 said:

That would be mighty interesting! I know it's a tad too much to ask for, but if you could happen to guide me (or direct me to a guide) as to how I might be able to input those iconic departure melodies into the sound unit please? It would add a whole new dimension of fun and realism to driving the trains! 

Thanks in advance! 

The instruction manual has the details (in japanese):

https://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/info/img/5721owabi.pdf

The SP1-2 are the speakers. The S1-4 are the TCS sensors to automatically trigger the sounds. The line and mic are the sound i/o ports and the CP is the communications port. You can use the audio input for playing any sound from an external device (or optionally to record it).

Most of the usage in english, with videos:

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/12903-tomix-5721-sound-unit-for-platform/

• Thanks 1

JR 500系

Thanks! I guess I didn't search hard enough, being it was me that is the thread starter and all!  😛

Time to get down to it to connecting a MP3 player and trying to export some sounds to it... hope I don't reconfigure the entire system wrongly in the process!  😛

Edited by Densha
Staff Comment: Removed Unnecessary Quote
  • Haha 1