Tomix - New Releases

Who decided on the color scheme for the apartments? Good lord is it unappealing. Not as bad as the pink contemporary house but close. 

• Like 1
Davo Dentetsu

Can't say I can criticise a colur that would be depicted as reasonably common in Japan.  Maybe a bit of a washdown with a bit accumulated grime could help though.

However gaudy these buildings look, they are accurate... I kind of like this horrible over-designed end-of-bubble-era buildings though in a way. The countryside is littered with these things.

16 minutes ago, Suica said:

And here is Tomix's Train Suite Shikishima...

(and I was hoping they'd go for the Twilight Express Mizukaze instead)

So was I! Or the 7 stars Kyushu or something. Meh. I already pre-ordered the KATO version, but I'm OK with that. I wonder how the TOMIX version will be different from the KATO version... Power couplers? Interior lighting everywhere? (KATO will have table lights, but no interior lighting)

EDIT: Apparently, the TOMIX version WILL have power couplers

Edited by Yavianice

OOowww.. why does Tomix has to be this? if they did the Twlight we could have both luxury train models...

Being a HG set, isn't it the TN couplers? or the power couplers?

From goggle translate:

鉄道模型史上最高峰のクオリティで製品化。各種ライトや照明が点灯。開発中の新動力ユニットを搭載予

Productized with the highest quality of railroad model history. Various lights and lights are on. We plan to install new power unit under development

These phrases are making me excited... highest quality of railroad model history! The various lights are also interesting, does that mean full interior lights? I seems a newly developed motor unit will also be used ~

Power couplers apparently. 

via google translate: "From Tomics we received an announcement on "Four Seasons Island" commercialization decision. Please wait for further information on product etc. Once the formal order form arrives, we will start the reservation. In the information described on the poster, it is HG specification, electrified coupler adoption, new power unit installed."

So Tomix is making a 20 meter, cape gauge side profile, power coupler compatible power unit? This seems interesting, but i would really prefer a backwards compatible, power tn coupler.

Gordon Werner

interesting new track set(s) from Tomix

4+1 yard track w/the 4 main tracks featuring reduced spacing between them and the 5th w/a bit more room to accommodate the car washer

Edited by Gordon Werner
  • Like 3

Thanks for sharing!

Now this IS a good set to get! We get a closer spacing between the trains, pre-fab and installed washer for the trains, and even a driver's walking path and platforms! The cantory poles and buffers are a great touch too! The only thing is, I am wondering about the tracks to use if we were to length the yard ourselves...

Woa, the yard set looks really cool! I could only dream of KATO Unitrack making something like this. Maybe I can get two of these with one TOMIX powerpack (insulated of course) to combine with my existing KATO unitrack set/KATO Powerpack.

26 minutes ago, Yavianice said:

Woa, the yard set looks really cool! I could only dream of KATO Unitrack making something like this. Maybe I can get two of these with one TOMIX powerpack (insulated of course) to combine with my existing KATO unitrack set/KATO Powerpack.

Or you can get (or make) turnout cable adapters for controlling the Tomix turnouts with Kato switches and a Kato-Tomix track adapter for connecting it up to your Kato layout. Please don't try to mix Kato controllers and Tomix PWM/CL packs on the same layout as they could easily break when a train bridges the isolators between them.

Just now, kvp said:

Or you can get (or make) turnout cable adapters for controlling the Tomix turnouts with Kato switches and a Kato-Tomix track adapter for connecting it up to your Kato layout. Please don't try to mix Kato controllers and Tomix PWM/CL packs on the same layout as they could easily break when a train bridges the isolators between them.

good point

And here is the new Tomix yard for those who might want something similar with classic wooden ties track:

tomix_yard-20170821-1.thumb.png.f161a5d533305c3e753a752d157d5567.png

(the gray ones are the location where the pedestrian crossings are placed and the train washer is on the bottom track)

And my twist on it using a 3 way switch just for fun.

tomix_yard-20170821-2.thumb.png.1997b16f942393ea37d427880953204a.png

• Like 5

Thanks for the plan kvp san! That would work great for my new layout, especially when now we can have a more realistic yard along with more space to use due to the space saving of this newer yard set!

I have some queries, so how does this work?

I understand the basic set, so basically you are getting like an entire yard set, much like the Kato V3 sliding set variant... (although the points seem to be manual and needs the motor piece to change it to 'automatic').. What I don't understand is the add-on set... Can I just get the add on set if I already have the points, or like kvp san has drawn, want to use the 3 point switch (which I feel makes that track longer to park and nicer overall)?

Also, looking at the pictures and description, it seems one add-on set is good for S280 + S280? which is about 4 car length? Can I further add on rails to make it longer, and if so, what is the rails to be used?

Sorry for the noob question as i'm trying to get how this set works...

Edited by cteno4

On 8/31/2017 at 8:29 AM, JR 500系 said:

I understand the basic set, so basically you are getting like an entire yard set, much like the Kato V3 sliding set variant... (although the points seem to be manual and needs the motor piece to change it to 'automatic').. What I don't understand is the add-on set... Can I just get the add on set if I already have the points, or like kvp san has drawn, want to use the 3 point switch (which I feel makes that track longer to park and nicer overall)?

Also, looking at the pictures and description, it seems one add-on set is good for S280 + S280? which is about 4 car length? Can I further add on rails to make it longer, and if so, what is the rails to be used?

It looks like a cool looking cheap yard set. They used manual turnouts and non light up buffers. The only new parts are the crossing pieces, everything else was already available (although only with powered turnouts and led equipped buffers). My 3 way turnout idea is mostly pointless as the driving cars of the trains should be parked at the signals, so right behind the crossing. This means the rest is just turnout area, which should be left empty.

The basic set has space for 5 four car trains. Each extension set adds 4 more cars and another set of crossings, service platforms and overheads. If you want to add more tracks without getting an extra extension set, just add more straights and that's all.

If you want to roll your own, you'll need: turnouts of your choice, C280-15 curves for small spacing, one C541-15 curve for the washer's normal spacing. You'll need yard overhead set(s), the service platforms set, the train washer and cleaning platforms sets, lots of straights and the buffers of your choice. And to get the crossing pieces, you'll have to get one extension set and throw away those modern looking concrete sleeper straights and replace them with any kind of standard straight.

I think this set looks cool as it combines lots of already available, but mostly unknown diorama sets, adds the predesigned track layout for those who can't draw it themselves and to make it desirable for hardcore fans, adds the new crossing pieces that are not available in separate sets, so even JNR fans who will use them with wooden tie tracks and classic buffers have to get at least the extension set.

ps: For different setup, you may want to use a single add on set and place the crossing before the buffers. This way the buffer end of the trains will be in line and this allows different track and train lengths for each track. This creates a more compact yard for trains of varying lengths and gives an older feeling. Replacing the tracks with wooden sleeper ones and using the classic buffers would be more appropiate for a late JNR era yard. (also that doesn't need an automatic washer, as back then many trains seems to be hand washed from the long cleaning platforms, at least looking at some of the old movies)

Edited by cteno4
Returns
  • Like 4

Thanks for the detailed explanation kvp san! Appreciate it!

Referring to the picture:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10486974/20/1 

Could someone please let me know what are the straight tracks used here? They look like PC WIDE type tracks (http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10312194) but looks much narrower than the usual WIDE tracks, and doesn't look like the normal Tomix tracks (http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10356369)  I would like to be able to extend the tracks to accommodate more train carriages without buying an additional add-on set...

The tracks are half spaced. You can snap off one side of the wide tracks to fit platforms.

On the other hand, you can see that the crossings, poles and platforms are just inserts between regular pc tracks. So you either mod the wide tracks or add inserts  to regular tracks from ballast packs. (The latter is probably needed for the turnouts if you don't want to green the area between them.)

• Like 1