Tomix - New Releases

Afaik it's only 2.4 Ghz. It may disturb other wifi and bluetooth (and zigbee, etc.) connections, but that's petty much all. Come on, who uses wireless systems for security or home automation? :D

Pretty sure that Verizon's home security system here uses wireless for the system. Dunno on the specifics. Pretty sure the Ring video doorbell thing they sell here is wireless too, now that would be funny, someone uses the app to check the camera on it and they see the view from the cab of a train speeding around a track.  

Just tried with Kato power pack. I don't recommend it because the lack of CL means your motor car needs to be running at relatively high speed in order to maintain sufficient power for the wifi signal. I find it much easier to work with the Tomix controller. I can stop the train and still maintain power and connection.

My first impression is that the wifi connection is finicky regardless of the controller used. The fact that you need to turn power to max for initial connection makes it frustrating to use. Having said that the ability to experience my layout from the train operator point of view was novel and interesting to me. Even my wife took a few minutes to observe!

Running on a DCC layout with decoder or power regulator between the track and the camera should overcome that by providing full voltage at all times.

Edited by westfalen

A video showing how the new Tomix Automatic Control System might work :

Edited by splifdfx
  • Like 4

Is this like a DCC equivalent? So all TOMIX trains need to be equipped with decoders etc? Or does it use a block system with analogue trains? It seems to be like that, just looking at the pictures on the information pamphlet. If it would also work with non-tomix trains, I will buy one of these for sure!

Edited by Yavianice

Is this like a DCC equivalent? So all TOMIX trains need to be equipped with decoders etc? Or does it use a block system with analogue trains?

This is fully analog with block based cab control and threadle type wheel sensors detecting the front axle of each train. The nice thing about the system that besides the analog block power (that is pwm based), everything else would also be needed for DCC. So a fully automated block signalled and detected DCC layout doesn't really need the DCC part and would need around the same amount of cabling as the analog cab control system made by Tomix.

How it works:

-each block has a pwm traction controller output

-and a wheel sensor at stopping distance from the end of the block

-the rest is handled by the main computer in the box

-which senses train positions through the wheel sensors

-and control both block power and the turnouts

As an added bonus, one throttle could be set to semi automatic, where the stopping is controlled by the system, but the actual top speed is controlled by a human driver. This allows going faster or slower than the rest of the layout and also allows stopping anywhere along the line and holding up the traffic.

Afaik the supported traffic patterns include loop operation with bypass sidings and point to point double track with terminus and middle stations.

• Like 2

O my! New pictures of the Genbi Shinkansen for me to drool over!

The finished look of the Kurineko KOKI also looks great!

And the Marine Liner also looks very pre-orderable!

• Like 1

E235! Tasty!

And HS opened reservations for all the load of Tomix models now!

TNOS New Control System Basic Set w/Init... Tomix N Scale Control Systems

TNOS T-ND100 (Model Train) Tomix N Scale Control Systems

J.N.R. Limited Express Series KIHA82 St... Tomix N Scale、1/150 Diesel Car

J.R. Limited Express Series 485 (Midori Exp... Tomix N Scale、1/150 Electric Car

J.R. Limited Express Series 485 (Midori Exp... Tomix N Scale、1/150 Electric Car

J.R. Limited Express Series 485 (Huis Ten ... Tomix N Scale、1/150 Electric Car

J.R. Suburban Train Series 223-5000/Series 5... Tomix N Scale、1/150 Electric Car

J.R. Suburban Train Series 223-5000/Series 5... Tomix N Scale、1/150 Electric Car

J.R. Series 209-2100 Commuter Train (Boso C... Tomix N Scale、1/150 Electric Car

J.R. Series 209-2100 Commuter Train (Boso C... Tomix N Scale、1/150 Electric Car

[Limited Edition] J.R. Series 209-2200 Commu... Tomix N Scale、1/150 Electric Car

[Limited Edition] J.R. Commuter Train Serie... Tomix N Scale、1/150 Electric Car

[Limited Edition] J.R. Series 583 (Thank Yo... Tomix N Scale、1/150 Electric Car

TM-07R N-Gauge Power Unit For Railway Co... Tomytec N Scale Railway Col...

TM-08R N-Gauge Power Unit For Railway Co... Tomytec N Scale Railway Col...

TM-TR04 N-Gauge Power Unit For Large Tr... Tomytec N Scale Railway Col...

The Building Collection 094-2 Police Station ... Tomytec N Scale、1/... Building Co...

The Building Collection 145 Midtown ... Tomytec N Scale... Building ...

The Railway Collection Hankai Tramway Type ... Tomytec N Scale、1/... Railway Col...

The Railway Collection Keihin Electric Expre... Tomytec N Scale、1/... Railway Col...

The Railway Collection Keihin Electric Expre... Tomytec N Scale、1/... Railway Col...

The Railway Collection Hankai Tramway Type ... Tomytec N Scale、1/... Railway Col...

The Railway Collection Alpico Kotsu Kamikoch... Tomytec N Scale、1/... Railway Col...

The Railway Collection Takamatsu-Kotohira El... Tomytec N Scale、1/... Railway Col...

The Railway Collection Ryutetsu Type 5000 Ry... Tomytec N Scale、1/... Railway Col...

The Railway Collection Tomii Electric Railwa... Tomytec N Scale、1/... Railway Col...

The Railway Collection Tomii Electric Railwa... Tomytec N Scale、1/... Railway Col...

The Bus Collection Tachikawa Bus Frame Arms... Tomytec N Scale、1/150 The Bus Collection

The Truck Collection Trailer Set A (Model Train) Tomytec N Scale、1/... The Truck ...

The Truck Collection Trailer Set B (Model Train) Tomytec N Scale、1/... The Truck ...

The Truck Collection Building Site Truck Se... Tomytec N Scale、1/... The Truck ...

The Truck Collection Building Site Truck Se... Tomytec N Scale、1/... The Truck ...

The Animal 101 Deer (Model Train) Tomytec N Scale、1/... Visual Scen...

The human 106 Pedestrians (People in Residenti... Tomytec N Scale、1/... Visual Scen...

The human 108 Japanese Tourists (People in Sh... Tomytec N Scale、1/... Visual Scen...

The human 109 Farmers (Model Train) Tomytec N Scale、1/... Visual Scen...

The human 124 People at Police Stati... Tomytec N Scale... Visual S...

Visual Scene Accessory 074-2 Complex C2 (Mod... Tomytec N Scale、1/... Visual Scen...

Visual Scene Accessory 069-3 Assorte... Tomytec N Scale... Visual S...

Visual Scene Accessory 098-2 Loading... Tomytec N Scale... Visual S...

Visual Scene Accessory 115 Railroad Crossing ... Tomytec N Scale、1/... Visual Scen...

Visual Scene Accessory 121 Hightway Guardrail... Tomytec N Scale、1/... Visual Scen...

J.R. Diesel Train Type KIHA40-2000 (JR ... Tomix N Scale、1/150 Diesel Car
J.N.R. Diesel Train Type KIHA82 (Late Type) (Model Train) Tomix N Scale、1/150 Diesel Car
J.N.R. Limited Express Series KIHA82 Ad... Tomix N Scale、1/150 Diesel Car
[ 0860 ] Train Mark (For Series KIHA82/Le... Tomix N Scale、1/150 Parts
[ 0861 ] Train Mark (For Series KIHA82/Le... Tomix N Scale、1/150 Parts
[ 0862 ] Train Mark (For Series KIHA82/Le... Tomix N Scale、1/150 Parts
Fenway Park

Tempted by Tomix Kiha 82 but have 2 of the newer Kato version so that should be enough.

Is the Tomix version suitable for the JNR era 1962 to 1975?

HS suggest you need the 4 car and the 3 car add on for Honshu and Kyushu.

Thanks

Malcolm

Tomii Dentetsu is growing up! At this rate it's just a matter of time until it becomes an 大手私鉄.

And, well... sh*t. I don't like how the Marine Liners are so expensive and that they only give us a 5-car train for that price even though 6-car consists did also exist. It's also a pity how it's not possible to get the double-deck cab cars separately to switch them out for running on the model layout. The other 4 cars of the sets are identical after all. Gonna have to choose now.

Isn't this the first venture for any big model train manufacturer into Sapporo trams? Except for those Snow Miku trams maybe. Sapporo has really interesting tram designs. Hopefully we'll see the 830 type (later Meitetsu Mo 870 type) at a later point in time as well.

Lots of Tomix News from the Tomix Summer meeting.

I'm especially looking forward to the Yamanote toaster E235 series.

Only just saw these. I'm really surprised but pleased by the announcement of the 'rerelease' of the JR Shikoku KiHa 54 and 181. No more sourcing crappy old version off Yahoo Auctions, but instead getting modern models for an acceptable price seems like a much better deal.

Tomix really has been into Shikoku lately. Every time something from that island gets announced it still gets my attention, even though I'm not sure if I should keep getting trains from there haha.

E235 series is probably gonna sell well, although I don't like the design at all. Still waiting for a new front design for non-Yamanote Line E235s.

Here's more pics from this Tomix meeting:

http://www.jp-ngauge.info/ngi/2017/07/tomix-c569.html

http://www.jp-ngauge.info/ngi/2017/07/tomytec-8dd2.html

Woo! More kiha 66 sets! I had been hopeing that Tomix would do a run of them in the Kyushu color with the new release of the versions with the rooftop coolers.

Tomii Dentetsu is growing up! At this rate it's just a matter of time until it becomes an 大手私鉄.

And, well... sh*t. I don't like how the Marine Liners are so expensive and that they only give us a 5-car train for that price even though 6-car consists did also exist. It's also a pity how it's not possible to get the double-deck cab cars separately to switch them out for running on the model layout. The other 4 cars of the sets are identical after all. Gonna have to choose now.

Indeed I totally agree... I just couldn't decide which one to get... not only are the colors of the lines different, the logo is also different.. and spending so much just to get another cab car is.... i'm still puzzled which car to get... 

They probably wont make the cabin a standalone item, since it is basically the main point that people are getting the set for...

This releases have so much difficult decisions to make.... like which Marine Liner to get, which Boso formation to get etc...

Just noticed that the Marine Liner (and E235 and Shikoku KiHa 181) isn't High Grade, which means having to get TN couplers separately as well. I really don't like these prices for what you get...

• Like 1

Just noticed that the Marine Liner (and E235 and Shikoku KiHa 181) isn't High Grade, which means having to get TN couplers separately as well. I really don't like these prices for what you get...

yap... it also seems most of the HG sets that come with pre-installed TN couplers are for older generation train sets, like the 189 series or 485 series... the newer models often aren't HG, or if at best, only the front cabin cars... this is quite sad actually for the price we're paying...

Nevertheless, it seems it is the only choice now if we really want the Marine Liner...

- Odakyu 8000 Series (4 and 6 car set in early appearance);

I'm a little bit tempted by the Odakyu 8000 series though...

Me too! though I wonder about the price... at the rate Tomytec is going... and we have to factor in motor chassis, wheel chassis set and pantograph spares to add on...

From the start I have always like the reddish striped Marine Liner better, but after having seen both of them in person I found the blue striped ones to be really nice as well. Choices, choices...

Hopefully Tomix will be releasing the JR West 223-2000 series at some point as well. I believe it's just a matter of inserting a 2000 subseries trailer car into any of the formations without double deck cab car to reproduce 6-car consists as they ran along the Seto-Ohashi Line a few years ago. They even ran as 3+3+3 = 9-car consists during rush hours at that time! Nowadays 3+2+2 = 7-car consists are the longest you will see.