Tomix - New Releases

That's curious. Out of all the options one that has already been done before. Alright, it was a MicroAce model and not 2017 Tomix-quality, but you wouldn't expect it to be that popular. The carriages that go together with it are also ugly.

Tomytec's really smart... they always pack a Showa era truck with a modern one.... Funny I don't see the modern ladder truck though...

Great coincidence with the F-toys release or direct contest against F-toys for stepping into their 'terrain'.... I like the Tomytec ones better since I don't have an airport and the F-toys ones are more for airport... Though the F-toys ones seems to be more realistic...

When's the car collection series re-release?   :)

Google translate looks ok for it. The page describes the operation. Essentially, you download an app and connect to the wifi hotspot of the car. Then you can change the settings, like the hotspot name. You'll also need CL power for it to work.

The number of viewer clients is not specified, but it could be anything from one to several. If it's a single user system, then a proxy might be needed to share the signal with more people. I would really like some info on the protocol, mainly to know if it could be made to work with 3rd party programs (like a windows client for desktops).

• Like 1

Thanks for the translation and description kvp san... from the looks of it, seems like an android phone or IOS is required to view the video... Would the video be allowed to be saved onto the device? Surely the video must be saved so that we can then view at our own leisure...

It looks like you could either record a video or take a photo. This means the car works like a normal wifi webcam.

Afaik currently only ios and android are supported and there is no web based interface. This is why i would like to know the network api behind it, so a laptop could be used to show the video on a large screen.

Does it mention resolution and frame rate? The couple of small wifi hotspot webcams I've played with did not hventhe best resolution unfortunately. Although they show high frame rates and resolution in the specs many times you can only get his resolution at very slow frame rates and high frame rates at very low resolution... the middle of the road settings were about a bit less than the old 2.4mhz at ntsc 15-30 for.

Jeff

The only data about the video i found on the link is that the recording limit is 10 minutes and you can set 10, 30 or off as the automatic logoff warning time and they suggest connecting your smartphone to a tv for displaying the video on a larger screen.

The product page ( http://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/n/5594.html ) has the following info:

[Camera system]

● You can download free special application to Wi-Fi compatible smartphone and enjoy video from camera train with driver's eyes
● Smartphones with iOS 9.2 or higher, Android 4.4.2 or higher are required ※ Applicable models will be announced on the website
● Digital specification with CMOS camera, VGA image quality
● Power is collected from rails in the same way as interior lights
● Kuha E232 - 3000 with camera system is not compatible with interior lighting units
● The front window glass parts are intact and the camera hole is not open

so i except something like 640x480 @ 15 or 30 fps with jpeg or mpeg compression...

According to Hobby Search's product description: "Digital specification with CMOS camera and VGA image quality."

yeah this is the problem though many systems say 640x480 or even higher and 30fps, but they dont say that its not at the same time! set the resolution higher and the frame rate is low and then the opposite...

jeff

yeah this is the problem though many systems say 640x480 or even higher and 30fps, but they dont say that its not at the same time! set the resolution higher and the frame rate is low and then the opposite...

640 x 480 x rgb24 x 30 fps would be ~211 megabit/sec. With mpeg compression at a rate of 1:12 it's still 17.5 megabit/sec without network overhead. Going down to 15 fps would essentially halve this, below 10 megabit/sec, which is more within the capacity of a small wifi chip. The theoretical limit is 54 megabit/sec for standard speed g/b networks, so if two camera cars don't want to fall over each other or the neighbours net, then staying below 10 megabit is a good idea anyway. Even going as low as 10 fps or using mpeg4 on a lower quality settings instead of ntsc quality mpeg2.

I just had to post this video, especially after seeing that Tomytec will release these under Trailer collection 8 (http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10465812/30/12)

original video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tig9-ItwrRI by youtube user: 問題児悪太郎

So it seems they really do exist in real life! Anyone knows why jacking up the container is useful except for dumping purposes?

Edited by JR 500系
  • Like 1

So it seems they really do exist in real life! Anyone knows why jacking up the container is useful except for dumping purposes?

Exactly that. Also since the dumping mech is on the tractor unit, it can dump any type of trailer, including fixed bed trailers. This makes the trailers much cheaper than using self dumping flatbed trailers.

Tomix E233 camera car arrived. Hopefully I can find time to make it work. I'm in US and was able to download the app from the App Store no problem. The box does say "use only in Japan". See how it goes!

5BB4CAEB-AD85-438D-9231-764B9E6C18F3_zps

0B5DBEF9-ACD0-4285-BE9F-3707EA27F1CC_zps

B8735A64-403A-4447-B770-518B5F9DFB0B_zps

• Like 5

I presume you are using Tomix track and TCS power control?

That's not needed. You just have to keep any common DC power pack above 50% at all times or use a Tomix CL power pack. TCS and Tomix tracks are not needed.

I presume you are using Tomix track and TCS power control?

That's not needed. You just have to keep any common DC power pack above 50% at all times or use a Tomix CL power pack. TCS and Tomix tracks are not needed.

I use Kato tracks and Kato power pack. However, I do have a Tomix power pack if needed. The instructions do say that power pack with CL is recommended.

Thanks kvp for pointing out that 50% power on any DC power pack would work, I didn't know that and was prepared to connect to only Tomix power pack. 

So could it be used on DCC layouts if you installed a decoder to supply power to the camera?

Yes if you set the output rate (speed) right, but you are better off with a small AC to DC buck regulator board powered off the rails.

• Like 1

Just tried with Kato power pack. I don't recommend it because the lack of CL means your motor car needs to be running at relatively high speed in order to maintain sufficient power for the wifi signal. I find it much easier to work with the Tomix controller. I can stop the train and still maintain power and connection.

My first impression is that the wifi connection is finicky regardless of the controller used. The fact that you need to turn power to max for initial connection makes it frustrating to use. Having said that the ability to experience my layout from the train operator point of view was novel and interesting to me. Even my wife took a few minutes to observe!

Edited by locidm

Tomix E233 camera car arrived.… The box does say "use only in Japan". See how it goes!

This probably has to do with lack of FCC certification. So it probably will work but it may interfere with other electronic items in your house.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk