Tomix - New Releases

Easiest way is to just snip a tomix and Kato feeder wire and wire the tomix controller end to the Kato track end.

Best is to solder the wires and heat shrink them to insulate well. If not into soldering good old strip,mtwist and tape will work but don't yank on it! Also could just use a little terminal block to screw the feeds down.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Hole-REUSABLE-SPRING-LEVER-TERMINAL-BLOCK-ELECTRIC-CABLE-WIRE-CONNECTOR-HG-/231635723456?hash=item35ee90a4c0:g:URoAAOSwjVVVrl9n

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10A-Terminal-Block-12-Position-Barrier-Wire-Connector-Type-H-T1K-/360767105847?hash=item53ff652b37:g:2iUAAOxy4M5R~ILC

Cheers

Jeff

It is cheaper and most like electrically safer to cut wire and use screw terminals.  The pictures you linked us to are millimeters from having a short out.

The good thing about Jeffs examples is you can make tomix to kato, kato to tomix, and return them back to kato to kato and tomix to tomix within seconds.  These connectors also allow out to make Y feeders cheaper than what both kato and tomix provide.

Yeah you can use CL on any track system.  All you need is the controller and the trains capable of CL.

Edited by katoftw

Thanks for the recommendations. It took me awhile to understand what is required. So I will need both a tomix feeder wire that connects to the controller and a Kato feeder wire that goes to the track. The terminal block would be used to connect the two. Thanks! It does seem a lot safer!

Good to know about the CL being able to work on any track. More reasons to buy tomix trains I guess. Lol

Also, it just came to my attention that with Fine tracks, one is able to plug in the feeder wire on any tracks? As supposed to with Kato, you'll need a feeder track or a feeder unijoiner. Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

Also, it just came to my attention that with Fine tracks, one is able to plug in the feeder wire on any tracks? As supposed to with Kato, you'll need a feeder track or a feeder unijoiner. Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

You are right. The feeder can be connected in almost any tracks.

Cheers, 

There are different finetack feeders, one for normal tracks, one for viaduct tracks and a newer for viaduct/street/wide tracks. They could be clipped to most tracks, except really short and crossing tracks and turnouts. Most straights and curves are good. The various function connectors also go into these slots.

About CL: It's a signal shape, so works with any track system as long as there are no filters. Any DCC compatible track systems are also good for CL.

• Like 2

A video on the newly released S70 bridge by Tomix:

It's actually quite interesting, more so when you join 2 or more together.... you could even make a nice arch bridge with these babies!

I've got one of these now. It comes with the pieces for two arched bridges and with two pieces of S70 Finetrack.  There are snap on side walks in green or yellow which can be attached.  The S70 track piece slides into a slot on top of the arch.   This slot side wall prevents you from using the piece to attach a 5534 power feed without cutting the low side wall of the arch. 

post-75-0-41047100-1480016058_thumb.jpgpost-75-0-96404900-1480016093_thumb.jpgpost-75-0-93737800-1480016111_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

There are different finetack feeders, one for normal tracks, one for viaduct tracks and a newer for viaduct/street/wide tracks. They could be clipped to most tracks, except really short and crossing tracks and turnouts. Most straights and curves are good. The various function connectors also go into these slots.

About CL: It's a signal shape, so works with any track system as long as there are no filters. Any DCC compatible track systems are also good for CL.

I have a couple of questions related to that:

1) Do all or most Kato trains would work with CL without modifications? I have read stories about Kato coreless motors not liking CL.

2) Is there a box that could be plugged to Kato track and produce PWM just for CL? Ideally something that could be plugged to the side of a regular Kato controller and converts the rectified full wave signal into PWM used for CL.

Thanks in advance.

Old bulb light using trains won't really work with CL, but most Kato trains are safe. I don't know about any Kato low voltage coreless motors. Led lights work and high voltage coreless motors are safe but might get warm at the same rate as on full throttle.

A low impedance analog voltage to pwm converter would actually cost more than a simple pwm cl controller from Tomix, so while it might exist, noone is really using one.

Old bulb light using trains won't really work with CL, but most Kato trains are safe. I don't know about any Kato low voltage coreless motors. Led lights work and high voltage coreless motors are safe but might get warm at the same rate as on full throttle.

A low impedance analog voltage to pwm converter would actually cost more than a simple pwm cl controller from Tomix, so while it might exist, noone is really using one.

rice bulbs do work with CL.

Rice bulbs only work if they are low current ones so the CL pulses could supply them without moving the train. A CL headlight circuit helps here a lot. Otherwise if the motor is lower current, it's possible that the train starts to crawl at higher brightness. Of course this could only happen with very old, non CL supporting sets with low startup current motors and higher current lighting.

After the old and new livery Sōtetesu 9000 Series -not very surprisingly, Tomytec is releasing the renewal Sōtetsu 9000 Series in the Marine Blue livery as a Sōtetsu exclusive: http://www.sotetsu.co.jp/news_release/pdf/161208_01.pdf (also available through Rakuten).

I haven't bought neither of the 9000 Series yet, but it's good to see Sōtetsu being so super active in the Railway Collection department. Next to Tōbu, Sōtetsu is probably the most active of all with cooperating with Tomytec on releasing exclusive models consistently. So far the old 6000 (old and new liveries, both without air conditioning units), MoNi 2000, old 5000 (2-car only), 7000, N7000 (old and new liveries) and now the 9000 Series (all liveries) have been/will be released by Tomytec, which is a lot for a relatively small company. Apart from more obscure series, like the 2100, 3010 and so on, almost all major Sōtetsu series have been released so far by either Tomytec, MicroAce (6000, N6000, 8000, 10000, ED10, 7000 and MoYa 700) and Tomix (11000 Series). It'd be interesting to see what will be coming next. I'm kind of hoping for the commuter 5000 Series which was the predecessor for the big 7000 Series...

I always see the Sōtetesu stuff in Mandarake all the time. Might be worth your time to look on their website every now and then.

Mandarake never really comes to mind for model trains. Maybe I ought to check it out more often. Then again, we also have CleCle beneath the TamTam shop here in Sagamihara. A 2nd hand shop with usually also a rather interesting and large collection.

On the Kato tracks; Sotetsu also seems to use them for their Tomytec models in their promo material...

Oh god no not the Shizutetsu A3000 type... that train is way too cool not to get. I already had some premonitions that Tomytec was going to release this one.

Oh man, that is some bad news bears! I have no Shizutetsu trains, but I want to get some later. The problem with the new A3000 type however is that there will be seven liveries, so there will be seven liveries to collect... There seems to be a heavy focus on central Japan with these releases though!

The problem with the new A3000 type however is that there will be seven liveries, so there will be seven liveries to collect...

Crap, that reminds me too much of my Keihan fleet...

Was Shizutetsu looking at the Keio Inokashira Line or something...? :P