Tomix - New Releases

Continuing with Tomytec:

• Shizuoka Railway A3000 Series Passion Red (as expected);
  • Nishitetsu 8000 type (6-car Ltd. Express);
  • Tōbu/Aizu/Yagan Railway 6050 Series, last run Rapid/Section Rapid (6-car 20th April 2017 edition);

Railway Collection 25
  • JNR Hanwa line KuMoHa 20000 and KuHa 25100 type;
  • Kintetsu 820 Series;
  • Keisei 200 type;
  • Keikyū 1000 type (experimental version);
  • Hiroden Miyajima line 1080 type;

https://twitter.com/NGaugeInfo/status/862473381307793409

• Passenger and freight sets for the Tomii Dentetsu HO narrow range:

https://twitter.com/NGaugeInfo/status/862473525075914752

Overall, I'm quite impressed by the choice of these releases.  The Tōbu 6050 Series 6-car set looks attractive to me, but because I prefer the vastly superior (and more expensive) Greenmax models, I probably will hesitate to modify this set to running condition (yes, I will buy it). The Nishitetsu 8000 type is also looking very very attractive, as this is one of those simple evergreen designs that will work anywhere.

Wow. Adding this to all recent Tomix announcements, they really have a lot of new products in the run.

JR West 233-5000 Marine Liner (with double decker)

Aww... dang. This was one of my favourite trains years ago and I still really like it. I promised myself not to get any more electric heavy rail trains for now, but this is really tempting. At least I have until winter to think about whether or not I'm going to get it.

Kyushu DE10 hyper saloon colour. Does that mean 783 series trains at cheaper Tomix prices in the long run?

Not necessarily, as a follow-up of any of these upcoming DE10-1000 releases will be decided by popular vote.

Krackel Hopper

Oh man!  I really hope the Hokkaido DE10 wins this.  The MicroAce version was done around 2006 if I remember correctly.. has never been reprinted and nobody else has tackled this particular model.

• Like 1

Some of these trains are push pull sets with control trailers, which is a rare thing in Japan. But if your choice doesn't win, then you are stuck with a locomotive that won't get any cars. Also you can't wait and get the one that wins as it will be the most sold and probably sold out everywhere. And getting all of them to be sure is a really expensive way of ensuring that you'll end up with at least one complete train. Also i'm not sure if it would be the same price for every possible result as some cars are available and just need a custom paint and some were never made while the matching sets have different number of cars from two to a really long rake. This is a completly random thing to do for Tomix as they can't determine the cost of development and the number of future sales as an expensive set with many custom cars could result is much fewer sales than for the matching loco. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Oh man!  I really hope the Hokkaido DE10 wins this.  The MicroAce version was done around 2006 if I remember correctly.. has never been reprinted and nobody else has tackled this particular model.

Agreed, Hokkaido is my 1st choice.

But if your choice doesn't win, then you are stuck with a locomotive that won't get any cars. Also you can't wait and get the one that wins as it will be the most sold and probably sold out everywhere. And getting all of them to be sure is a really expensive way of ensuring that you'll end up with at least one complete train. 

Not necessarily true, as about half of these locomotives also run other services than their exclusive Joyful Train runs. Those who do will probably be re-released once the add-on set is released anyway, so I don't think one needs to worry about that. Buying more than one to influence the vote or not will happen anyway, because fans of the DE10 want to have a collection of all of these. The Shikoku, JR Tōkai and JR Freight versions will probably also have a variety of numbers, as multiple versions of these special livery DE10s exist.

This is a completly random thing to do for Tomix as they can't determine the cost of development and the number of future sales as an expensive set with many custom cars could result is much fewer sales than for the matching loco. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

These choices, no matter which, will sell anyway (with the JR Shikoku option probably the least popular), so that shouldn't be an issue. Development for the mould is probably not hard, as they already have the basic designs for the rolling stock which only need modifications. No need for a complete redevelopment. The 783 Series Hyper Saloon is an exception, but if this gets chosen, the many colourful variants on the 783 Series will very probably also follow. Sure, it's another experiment by a manufacturer, but it's important to have the public involved in product development. Direct input also makes the consumer feel valuable to the company they support. Next to that, doing these things isn't uncommon for Japanese companies on the domestic market (keep domestic in mind, as the international doesn't really matter in this regard).

Das Steinkopf

A trailer collection with ISO containers! And more ISO containers to be released in July! Finally!

I am interested in how they compare to the Poppondetta versions, especially when it comes to mounting them onto Koki's.

Not necessarily true, as about half of these locomotives also run other services than their exclusive Joyful Train runs. Those who do will probably be re-released once the add-on set is released anyway, so I don't think one needs to worry about that. Buying more than one to influence the vote or not will happen anyway, because fans of the DE10 want to have a collection of all of these. The Shikoku, JR Tōkai and JR Freight versions will probably also have a variety of numbers, as multiple versions of these special livery DE10s exist.

I hope the JRF Renewed Livery one is a Warm Climate version as I already have the Cold Climate version in that livery, personally I am not worried about the add on vehicles but I think that the Koki 71 would be a nice addition to the Tomix range, I have no need for the Koki 71's myself but I know there are plenty of JRF fans who would like them.

As much as I want to go with the JR East one the livery on the JR Hokkaido one is much more impressive so I'm in for it. I've never been much of a fan of the plain brown paint job. The coaches are nice though for it but it just looks a bit plain.

I hope the JRF Renewed Livery one is a Warm Climate version as I already have the Cold Climate version in that livery, personally I am not worried about the add on vehicles but I think that the Koki 71 would be a nice addition to the Tomix range, I have no need for the Koki 71's myself but I know there are plenty of JRF fans who would like them.

I have a feeling that regardless of the winner Tomix will make these as it's a pretty simple mold and not a crazy complicated paint job. I have no need for them either but funny how that doesn't stop me from getting things....

Edited by nah00

It's a later type JNR DD13 locomotive, so i guess repainting it was more or less trivial.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%9B%BD%E9%89%84DD13%E5%BD%A2%E3%83%87%E3%82%A3%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BC%E3%83%AB%E6%A9%9F%E9%96%A2%E8%BB%8A

The Genbi Shinkansen looks fantastic, I was kind of wondering how that one would turn out with how complicated the paint job was. 

What's the DE-10 they showed? I don't recognize the livery. 

• Like 1
Das Steinkopf

What's the DE-10 they showed? I don't recognize the livery.

It is one of the earlier JRF liveries, there are still a number of them floating around with it on just like DE-10 in the old JNR livery, there seems to be a wide variety of liveries in the earlier days of JRF with the Euroliner and Dark Blue liveries as well as the others. I have photos of JRF DE10-1500's in Kyushu which are painted in a Rose/Pale Red colour similar to what the EF81's are painted in.

34743832825_875e2c85ec_z_d.jpg

Edited by Das Steinkopf

I though it might have been a freight livery given the way it looked but it also looked like it could be an excursion train, thought it was one that didn't make the cut for the batch of DE-10s they're releasing. Why do they have to release all these variations of my second favorite JR diesel....