Plans to reopen 1000s of miles of railway in the UK

Darren Jeffries

Darren Jeffries

So, election fever has hit the UK with a general election scheduled for May 6th. So we may end up with a new leader, changes in policy, spending cuts, etc.... but what news on the train front?

The Liberal Democrats (a minority party... or are they?) have vowed that should they get into power, they will reopen 1000's of miles of railway lines and stations in the UK, in the biggest rail structuring exercise since victorian times. This is brilliant news, if it happens... i vote lib dem!!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8603009.stm

Not a big fan of politics but, I have met Gordon Brown a few times when he comes to see Raith Rovers (yes he is a local boy) and every time I have met him he has come over as a decent guy who likes the simple things in life (his wife, Sarah, is a lovely, quietly spoken, lady), I know he loves his football not sure about railways.

It is interesting though that the Lib Dems have come up with this scheme for the railways, have yet to hear how they will fund it tho.  The curious thing about them is they do seem to be the most honest and straight talking party around right now, I guess they reckon they have nothing to lose so why not tell the truth!

Unfortunately, for me, Cameron comes over as a bit of a simpering fool who will pander to what ever the media demands, and Brown too tends to bend that way a little too, just wish he would get back to being honest to himself.

I think we have too many politicians who think they are celebrities and it is time they woke up and smelled the coffee.

Next week: How to galvanize the worlds religions followed by how to nail jelly to the ceiling  :cheesy

Politicians keeping election promises. Now there's a novel idea. :laugh:

Two weeks before the last state election our beloved Premier promised she would not sell off any of Queensland Rail. Two weeks after she won the election everything except the passenger business was up for sale. ???

Politicians with the guts to tell the road lobbyists they aren't getting any more money are rare as well. I hope they succeed and carry out their plans but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting.