Trying out new video camera

westfalen

That's a nice camera! I liked how it adjusted to the lighting conditions rather quickly. My videocam would lock up indefinitely if it went from light to dark like that.

The clarity of the picture is outstanding. We're finding at work that a lot consumer HD camera are doing remarkable filming and at times we've used the footage that a family member shot when a son/daughter was competing.

One of the things our cameramen test is the ease of the controls of a camera, are the zoom controls easy to access on your new camera and how do you like the feel?

But the results you got Alvin are fantastic, you should get footage on your upcoming trips.

Bernard is spot on, the clarity of that camera is outstanding. i was impressed as how well the upright catenary poles were popping out over the blue sky background, they really had a good 3D 2 layer effect. this can be tough for digital video as large solid colors like sky or underwater shots will have trouble giving a really clear gentle gradation and want to posterize the color some and then when you get things moving over the top of it, you can get further muddying of the background and the edges of the high detailed item in the foreground.

really stunning what the consumer cameras are doing these days! will be fun to see what you get on your travels from/of the trains with the new toy. enjoy!

cheers

jeff

One of the things our cameramen test is the ease of the controls of a camera, are the zoom controls easy to access on your new camera and how do you like the feel?

The controls are easy to access while filming, that's one thing I make sure I try out before I buy. Among other features that lured me to it is a good old fashioned viewfinder and the ability to take good quality 12MP still shots while taking video (example of one below).

For those interested here's the return trip to town.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eChPFqQYqPU&layer_token=b8ec8aab8be4d269

post-218-13569924425611_thumb.jpg