Godzilla Sidings

kevinrandell

I really liked the red line idea as a siding, as I lost my sidings going into the current design. But as I already have the Suburban station and platform sets courtesy of a gift it will stay as is for the time being.

I am trying to make my flat areas really flat at the moment for buildings. The plaster cloth and join marks for the foam underneath show through a bit to create uneven surfaces. I have some http://www.scalescenes.com tarmac to cover the built up areas and kato ballast (flecked the same way as the unitrack) to fill in other areas.

Putting together my Tomix and Kato buildings to test place around the layout.

Starting to add ballast around the track.

Built a stairway up to the temple.

Washed the rocks...

post-269-1356992722438_thumb.jpg

post-269-13569927225068_thumb.jpg

post-269-13569927225691_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

just have a quick question in 3rd pic the tracks seem very close togther is this just perception of the shot ?

just look alot closer than the standard is all

btw looking great I'm about to thet to that stage just needs this stupid sal to arrive.

kevinrandell

The tracks go from separation to fit the platform to effectively a double track so the spacing decreases quite a bit around the top corner.

I have finished ballasting, just need to vacuum up the loose bits and probably give the track a bit of a cleanup for any odd bits of grit or glue.

I have also given the plaster a wash with WS earth colour. I wish I had smeared the ends of the plaster cloth more to get a better blend, the edges show up a bit unsightly. The wash gives a surprisingly nice finish prior to the application of the flock and foliage.

The WS scenic cement does not seem to give a nice mist when spraying, but can be a bit globby. Has anyone else had a better experience with this?

Pictures to come...

Cheers,

Kev

Martijn Meerts

I have also given the plaster a wash with WS earth colour. I wish I had smeared the ends of the plaster cloth more to get a better blend, the edges show up a bit unsightly. The wash gives a surprisingly nice finish prior to the application of the flock and foliage.

The WS scenic cement does not seem to give a nice mist when spraying, but can be a bit globby. Has anyone else had a better experience with this?

Pictures to come...

Cheers,

Kev

What I tend to do after adding plaster cloth, is mix up some plaster and go over the entire part I just added plaster cloth to. I find that plaster cloth (or at least, the variant I use) just don't have enough plaster to get a smooth finish. The layer I add is really only just enough to hide the cloth pattern, and as an added benefit you get a little more rock-like structure. Of course for parts that will be covered with flock and foliage, it doesn't matter if the cloth pattern is visible.

I tried the WS scenic cement and scenic sprayer once. It was included in some starter kit I bought from WS. I pretty much immediately tossed the sprayer in the trash, it's a piece of junk ... I also tried a small sprayer which creates a much finer mist, but because the white glue/water mixture isn't as liquid as water, it got tiring after a while. For now I went back to the good 'ol eye dropper. I have some other things I need to try, including using a very sticky type of wall primer paint, which seems to work really well.

kevinrandell

I gave the whole lot a wash with WS Earth Colour and plaster clothed the sides. I got about 1/3 of the way through an initial coat of WS blended turf before I ran out of scenic cement.  :sad:

I plan to come back later to tidy up the gray areas where the station and town will fit in. I haven't quit worked out the format for the ground to the left of the bridge above the station. I was thinking of one of the Tomytec town collections...

post-269-13569927398769_thumb.jpg

post-269-13569927399407_thumb.jpg

post-269-13569927399997_thumb.jpg

post-269-135699274006_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
Mudkip Orange

With that color palette it almost looks like West Texas or New Mexico. I half expect to see the Southwest Chief rollin' through.

How do you get the little sparse bits of turf to stick to the side of the vertical walls, as in the last picture? I would assume any glue that can hold those to the side would cause the entire wall to get blanketed in turf...

kevinrandell

The colour scheme will change a lot as I develop the layout. This initial base is just to get a coverage so I am not running the trains through a snowfield of plaster. On the sides I have just sprayed first with scenic cement and flyspecked some flock. Some of the steeper sections will get some retaining walls built out of some material I got from Tokyu Hands.

Kevin - Do you work in a very neat and tidy fashion... wish I did.  :grin

Is that a "dust pan" that is on your layout?

You are getting very realistic results with your scenery, great work!

kevinrandell

Everything is in storage boxes and toolboxes and I clean up after each stage. The setup is in the tatami mat room (our guest room) and I have to be ready to move at short notice. The layout also has to spend time sideways against the wall when we have visitors...

Cheers,

Kev

kevinrandell

As my work has closed during the current crisis I have some extra time up my hand, so ...

I have given the whole layout a dust of WS Blended and Accent turfs. Next step some medium cover, then clump-foliage and trees. I also touched up some of the ballast that got a little overgrown in the process.

To be honest I am not a great fan of some of the Japanese layouts that cover the hills with clump foliage into a solid mass. (Although it does actually look like the scenery out of the train window and has a good look at about 3 feet.) So my layout will have a more irregular look to ground cover and trees. Anyway I can always keep adding more layers as I go along, but at each stage I like it to look sort of OK.

Cheers,

Kev

post-269-13569927419546_thumb.jpg

post-269-13569927420203_thumb.jpg

post-269-1356992742182_thumb.jpg

post-269-13569927424526_thumb.jpg

post-269-13569927425714_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I'm not much of a clump man either I wanted to deck my layout with real trees and wanted to go with decked out pine mountain however my layout for now needs to be placed into storage when not in use and risks too much damage to trees if I were to do that all the time.

So I had to go down that path.

looking good though

kevinrandell

Another week ... another layer.

Added low shrubs and trees and painted the side boards. Next time I think I will have less hills and more town.

Even though I taped over the track I still had to give a thorough clean, there are still a few sticky spots. The points don't operate perfectly now as well, some grit and bits into the mechanisms and on the edge of the rails. I am working carefully to get clean again.

Next in line...

1) add detail and stickers to station and platform

2) detail the station area including fences and road markings

3) build a small town at the base of temple

4) add a Torii and railings for the steps to the temple

5) add some more buildings and features around the pagoda

6) find some spare cash to build the main town in the centre of the loop

Cheers,

Kev

post-269-13569927524243_thumb.jpg

post-269-13569927524804_thumb.jpg

post-269-1356992752565_thumb.jpg

post-269-1356992752625_thumb.jpg

post-269-13569927526824_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I really like the look of the hill area. The blend of colors and sizes looks good, and conveys an impression of an area left to the wild.  I think it will make a nice counterpoint to the town once you have one.

kevinrandell

A few different angles showing the resident fauna of the area.

I currently working out the stickers for the Kato Station 23-211 and Signal Tower 23-215. Some of the stickers for station I am a bit unsure about, even looking at the box instructions. The Signal Tower is more confusing. Does anyone have some shots of the stickers in place?

I am after some good looking fence to block off the area around the station, I am thinking of using this http://cgi.ebay.com/Net-Fence-Green-1-150-N-scale-Casco-YP-302-/120695501181 fence, what do you think or are there better recommendations?

Cheers,

Kev

post-269-1356992763331_thumb.jpg

post-269-13569927634088_thumb.jpg

post-269-13569927634682_thumb.jpg

post-269-13569927635434_thumb.jpg

post-269-13569927636189_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Usually stations have low fences around them.  The Casco fence looks like something around a factory.

Tsugawa and Greenmax offer railway barriers (Greenmax has two versions-concrete or recycled railway ties. A third choice is Kato 23-223, but it doesn't seem to be available right now.

Your hills could even be even greener.  Here's a selection of You Tube videos with freight and passenger trains in lush green scenery.  Japan has a rainy season in late Spring and early Summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88tBvrWMvg4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWN0qHuWSwU

• Like 2