Diorama base size

Hi everyone,

In planning for the "party" I began thinking of the size of the diorama I plan to build. Is there a recommended size of a diorama? I was thinking along the lines of a base of 1' x 2'.

CaptOblivious

I used half of an 11"x14" fiberboard for my first Suigun line diorama. I picked it because Tomix 280mm straights are almost exactly 11" long. 14" was too deep for my purposes, so I cut it down, making it 11"x7". It's too small to use, I think, for photographing trains, but it is attractive on my shelf. Akihabara Station is being built 12"x32" (two 12"x16" boards put together), and this provides a nice size for one-half of a station. I think 12"x24" would be a nice size.

Martijn Meerts

I went with 30 x 20 cm and 40 x 30 cm. The only reason for that is because when I bought wood for my first module, I had a leftover bit from which I could cut exactly 2 pieces of each size ;)

30 x 20 is fairly small, but on the other hand, it allows for very nice detailing without it becoming mind numbingly boring, and it's great for macro photography. 40 x 30 I haven't tried yet, but I will for the diorama party.

1' x 2'! That's crazy giant talk!

I expect mine will be about 15cm square. Maybe 20.

And I've already began planning.

I should really write about it and post it on the intertubes.

I was using the Diorama kit that Woodlandscenics sell as an example. The base of their kits is 2' x 1' but now I can make it smaller and get more details in. I think I might use pieces of a Kato viaduct set I have for the track work on the diorama and play around with it to see how it fits.

I was using the Diorama kit that Woodlandscenics sells as an example. The base of their kits is 2' x 1' but now I can make it smaller and get more details in. I think I might use pieces of a Kato viaduct set I have for the track work on the diorama and play around with it to see how it fits.