Japanese Dual Mode Vehicle (DMV)

Darren Jeffries

Darren Jeffries

This is a prototype that was first tested in brazil. It never took off, but the Japanese seem to have made it work, It is a bus that doubles as a train... you must watch this. It's 6 mins long but worth watching.

I would like to see someone make this for N Scale... maybe we should lobby Kato or MicroAce?!? ;D

Guest Bernard

Interesting video on the railbus. I know in the USA when there is construction on the RR they'll put do something similar with Dump trucks on the rails, but then the track is closed off. One question though, how do they coordinate with the regular trains that use the line? Wouldn't it cause a backup or delay in the regular service?

Darren Jeffries

There must be some sort of signalling involved i guess. I would love to see this modelled, not sure how to make the road bit work though.

Interesting video on the railbus. I know in the USA when there is construction on the RR they'll put do something similar with Dump trucks on the rails, but then the track is closed off. One question though, how do they coordinate with the regular trains that use the line? Wouldn't it cause a backup or delay in the regular service?

Mudkip Orange

Seems like a really inefficient use of capacity - you have the same headway requirements, but instead of a 4/8/16 car train, you have this little minibus.

Now if you could figure out a way to get the minibuses to *couple* - so that you have eight minibuses, let's say, that all link together at an assembly station and then run express - well that would make a lot of sense.

Darren Jeffries

OMG!!!!

Did you see that near miss with a bullet train? Imagine the death toll! :grin

bikkuri bahn

Seems like a really inefficient use of capacity - you have the same headway requirements, but instead of a 4/8/16 car train, you have this little minibus.

Now if you could figure out a way to get the minibuses to *couple* - so that you have eight minibuses, let's say, that all link together at an assembly station and then run express - well that would make a lot of sense.

The DMV is intended for low volume routes (such as in Eastern Hokkaido) with less than 500 passengers/day, so headway requirements are a bit of an oxymoron.  Most passengers are elderly folks or high school students.  I have doubts about the effectiveness of this vehicle- passenger capacity is small- less than a conventional bus!, rail infrastructure must still be maintained, and when on the road, is subject to the same conditions as any other rubber-tired vehicles- no small matter in snowy and icy Hokkaido.  I have a feeling this vehicle is more of a sop to rural constituents worried that "their train" will be axed- having this instead will save some face.

OMG!!!!

My guess would be four, the three passengers and the president of the railways in his public apology.

OMG!!!!

My guess would be four, the three passengers and the president of the railways in his public apology.

ahttp://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/article_data/images/60/44763_b.jpg

Apparently VW had a go at it too!

44763_b.jpg

I have noodled a couple of times on kitbashing one of these. not much stuff out there to start with for busses that match these with tomytec so it would need a real bit of scratchbuilding. motor would be tough as well. could use those tiny motors from germany folks have made remote control n scale vehicles with and a single gear drive to the rear axle. i am guessing there are some z gauge front wheels for steamers that would make tiny enough rail wheels for this. would be fun.

there are the tomix rail busses that are not much bigger and very cute.

cheers

jeff

The Jeep MB1A and subsequent mode;s up through the YJ2 Wranger were spaced so if their tires were removed they could run on standard guard tracks. I have heard but not seen that there were custom Jeepnee's with RR wheels that would run on the rails.

4 hours ago, Cat said:

With the three DMVs now in operation, the Asa Railway has retired both of it's only two railcars.

• Like 2
brill27mcb

These are not the "world's first dual mode vehicles." There were several in the U.S. in the 1900s, but they did not work that well. Hopefully these will do better. Rubber road tires trying to get traction on slick railheads (condensation, goo from fallen leaves, frost, ice, etc.) have always been the downfall.

Rich K.

Welshbloke

I think the DB VWs were track inspection rather than passenger carrying. DB did experiment with buses which could connect to a pair of railway bogies though, there's at least one preserved in working order.

Nick_Burman

And what about the DB SchiStra (Schienen/Strassen) buses of the 50's?

Cheers NB