New Type: JR Hokkaido Series 735

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

This Wednesday two 3 car unit 735 type EMUs were transported from Hitachi Rail's Kasado Works in Yamaguchi Prefecture, bound for Hokkaido.  Haulage duties on the San-yo Main Line were handled by a EF66 type based out of Osaka's Suita Depot.

Departing Itozaki Station in Hiroshima Prefecture:

Between Tenjingawa and Mukainada in Hiroshima.  Note the EF67 pusher locomotive running light at the the beginning:

*the 735 type is an update of the 731 type commuter/suburban emu.  It features dynamic braking that operates down to 0 km/h, which is useful in snowy conditions in Hokkaido, where conventional friction brakes can be fouled by snow and ice.

JR Hokkaido pdf with details of this type (Japanese):

http://www.jrhokkaido.co.jp/press/2009/100310-1.pdf

• Like 3

Too bad they kept the 731's front design, it's really not the sexiest. One question: is that the final livery or will the train set receive a new paint scheme once in Hokkaido?

bikkuri bahn

Too bad they kept the 731's front design, it's really not the sexiest. One question: is that the final livery or will the train set receive a new paint scheme once in Hokkaido?

Yeah, I call these designs "Darth Vaders".  I suppose these units will get lt. green house color stripes like the 731 types, as per the concept drawings.  IMO they look good now- industrial monotone has its appeal, matching the brutalist front ends.

"Darth Vaders"!  :grin I like it. I think that now, anytime I saw one I'll think: "Vince... I'm your father!" Gosh! No wonder I like trains...

I do to think they look quite good like that. This industrial monotone is not so far away from the 789's Super Kamui livery.

After looking at the PDF file it appears they will receive the regular JR Hokkaido green stripe. Urgh! :(

IMO they look good now- industrial monotone has its appeal, matching the brutalist front ends.

Case in point, the 787 series limited express, even though the express train front is more streamlined then the 735's "NYC subway's ugly sister" face.

Also, the official press release had a diagram and a comparison of the 735/731/721 faces for anyone who is interested

http://www.jrhokkaido.co.jp/press/2009/100310-1.pdf

(the release is March 10, 2010 - no idea why it's in the 2009 folder)

Also, the official press release had a diagram and a comparison of the 735/731/721 faces for anyone who is interested.

Yes, IMO they should have stick with a 721 related design. It's a lot better than the 731 face design plus, it definitely has some resemblances to some JR Hokkaido classics, the Kiha 183 and Kiha 185. Which clearly doesn't displease me.  :grin

I gotta agree, I like the way they look now, but that front has a bit to be desired at the time. I think the fascia could have used a bit of updating. Not sure about the added green striping that is to go on them, but I do like the factory colors as in the video. Reminds me of the  JR-K  817's.

bikkuri bahn

The units were seen transiting on the Muroran Line, on their way to Teine and the JR Hokkaido rolling stock depot there.  Haulage duties from Goryokaku to Teine were handled by dd51 1137, based out of Hakodate.  This scene is near Motowanishi Station in Muroran city: