Train Shop Map - A Hobby Map for us

disturbman

I just added the addresses of 3 shops in Fukuoka and I was given today the address of a new one. I'll add it when I'll see wiat it's worth, but is looks promising.

I hope you will enjoy them, it's the first addresses outside of the Osaka and Tokyo areas!

Great list of Akiba shops on the GooleMaps interface - thanks for these!  :)  A couple of years ago I could not for the life of me find TamTam nor Chiyoda Rail Centre but with help from the maps found them first time in February this year (alas 2 weeks before 11th March). 

Did the recce thing and visited all of them first.  Went back and spent up big at TamTam (twice) and Liberty Shop (great prices!).  Popondetta had virtually no Kato sets (but plenty of those cute single units in the small clear hanging bags) and Yodobashi Akiba was sensory overload (when I finally found the train section) but I did pick up a rare MicroAce snow plough there that the other shops didn't have.  Selection at Yodobashi was good for all N related items.  Imon had a few rare items and was priced OK and well displayed.  Laox seemed to have reduced it's stock a little from what I recalled years ago and Tokyu Hands (OK, in Shibuya) was $$$.  The really crammed Chiyoda Rail Centre was tucked away upstairs (hand draw kanji by marker pen seemed to be the only hint a rail shop was there - go too far and you end up at a sword/katana shop!) - worth a look but pretty selective in their 2nd hand stuff.

However, one shop that was highly recommended in the text (ie where to "stock up") was Sakuraya Hobby in Shinjuku-ku.  I turned up at the correct address when it should have been open but it appeared that is was not located there anymore (February 2011).  The shutters were down and all the signage on the upper floors was removed and it looked really deserted.  So what does one do in this case given I'd come all the way from Ueno? - blow the excess baggage allowance at Kinokunia that's what which was next door, after buying a number of superb N-scale and JR magazines (small A5-size Mapple books are awesome!).

Does anyone have the new address of Sakuraya Hobby in Tokyo as I would love to visit there next time in Japan? (I can't seem to easily see a reference to it via a google).

Thanks in advance.

However, one shop that was highly recommended in the text (ie where to "stock up") was Sakuraya Hobby in Shinjuku-ku.  I turned up at the correct address when it should have been open but it appeared that is was not located there anymore (February 2011).  The shutters were down and all the signage on the upper floors was removed and it looked really deserted.  So what does one do in this case given I'd come all the way from Ueno? - blow the excess baggage allowance at Kinokunia that's what which was next door, after buying a number of superb N-scale and JR magazines (small A5-size Mapple books are awesome!).

Does anyone have the new address of Sakuraya Hobby in Tokyo as I would love to visit there next time in Japan? (I can't seem to easily see a reference to it via a google).

Sakuraya is history. It went bankrupt in February 2010.  It's already been addressed in this thread.

I just added a couple of shops from the Seattle area based on a request from Nik-n-Dad from another post.

CaptOblivious

I'd like to add the shops I found in Kyoto, but I don't seem to be allowed to edit the map?

AKIHABARA MODEL TRAIN SHOP MAP

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?vps=2&ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=200049620020407586382.0004bb91a04676391321f

Over the years I have done much searching and wondering of the streets of Tokyo and other cities in Japan looking for model train shops with a large selection, and discounted merchandise.  My search revealed that the best location in Japan for selection, quantity, and pricing was Akihabara.  This result was actually suspected from the beginning, but on every trip I have attempted to disprove it without success.  In my opinion there is no better place in Japan and arguably the world for model rail road enthusiast than Akihabara (my opinion) within a 15 minute walk.  In response I created a google map with the location of every model train shop (17) that I have found in Akihabara (search 98% done).  The google map is public and additions/corrections are welcomed.  If you are a model train enthusiast on a short trip to Tokyo, you only need this map to get all of your shopping done in a few hours.  If time permits I would also recommend you visit Nakano Broadway which is on the north side of Nakano Station.  There are 2 second hand model train shops on the 2nd Fl., 1 on the 3rd Fl., and 1 on the 4th Fl.  Just ask anyone outside of Nakano station where Nakano Broadway is and just walk the floors to locate the shops.  They all have an excellent selection of common and rare second hand train sets in mint condition.  The largest selection and best prices will be found in these two locations (Akihabara/Nakano).

I have also compiled an excel spread sheet containing detailed information for each of the shops (i.e. name, address, tel, etc.).  I am 95% done and will make it available as soon as I am done.  I need one more trip to Akihabara to verify some information for a couple of the shops.    Hopefully the map and information are a welcomed contribution.

Hectorton,

I'll check again, but last summer, when I visited Nakano Broadway, I only found the one on the fourth floor. When was the last time that you visited? I posted photos of it last Fall. It was very small.

Best wishes,

Grant

I was there a couple of day ago.  As you know Nakano Broadway is a mess as far as all the little store fronts and hallways but there are four.  I actually marked the location of the stores on a map of Nakano Broadway that I can scan and upload.  Hector

gmat,

Actually thinking about it, I believe it was your posting that I saw a couple of months ago that led me to go visit Nakano Broadway which I had not been to in many, many years.  It was also the attendant at the store you posted about that told me about the other three stores in the building which are larger and all have an excellent selection of current and rare second hand train sets.  I actually bought the Kato Imperial Train 5-Car Set 10-456 in mint condition for 6,000 Yen and a tomix N-1000-CL throttle for 980 Yen.  The larger of the two stores on the second floor has the Micro Ace A4720 Imperial train 5-car set for 4,200 yen.  I did not buy it and I now regret it.  I will be going back this week. Hector.

gmat,

Attached is a jpeg of the Nakano Broadway "Mandarake" map.  The map information for the other stores is outdated, but the location of the the four used train shops written in is accurate and current.  Let me know what you think of the shops when you go.  I thought they were all great.  I originally intended to pdf the map, but the 1mb limit on files forced me jpeg.  After you print the jpeg view it in the landscape position and read it from right to left.  By doing this you should not have any problem finding the shops.  Hector.

post-858-13569930590187_thumb.jpg

JR 500系

Wow!

Thanks for the infomation! Very useful!

Sakuraya is bankrupt? But there are stores here in Singapore:  http://www.sakuraya.com.sg/e-sakurayahome.html

HOWEVER, the do NOT sell Tomix nor Kato trains... They do have a VERY small collection of Tomytec collection though... Prices are quite competitive, but it's about the ONLY store in SG to sell either Tomix/ Kato/ Tomytec/ Mircoace...

disturbman

For those who wants to collaborate to this map, please send me your personal email address so I can give you access.

Sakuraya is bankrupt? But there are stores here in Singapore:  http://www.sakuraya.com.sg/e-sakurayahome.html

Probably different ownership. 

For instance,  The Tokyu Hands stores in Nagoya are owned by Sanko Creative Life and operated under license while all other Tokyu Hands stores are operated by Tokyu Corporation.  But only the flagship Shibuya Tokyu Hands store has model trains, on the floor 7B.

http://shibuya.tokyu-hands.co.jp/en/floor.html

Hey

I'm going to Tokyo this October, was wondering if this list is updated on all shops ??

Thanks for great list, big help

Brian

Edited by domino

If this informations can help or add to the google maps, this is all HobbyLand Pochi's shops  :

KOBE :
Chuo-ku, Kobe, Hyogo Sannomiya-cho
2-11-1 Sannomiya Center Plaza West Building 2F
11:00 to 20:00 all day 

NAGOYA :
Nagoya, Aichi Prefecture, Nakamura-ku Meieki
2-45-10 Kawashima Building 2-A
11:00 to 20:00 on weekdays
10:00 to 19:00 Saturday, Sunday and holidays

KYOTO :
349 No. 6 under Osaka Town Chukyo-ku, Kyoto
Ishizumi Kawaramachi Building 2F
10:00 to 20:00 Saturday
10:00 to 19:00 Sunday and holidays

OSAKA - UMEDA :
Osaka-shi, Osaka, Kita-ku, Shibata
2-5-14 Akashi Building 1F
19:00 Sunday and holidays from 10:00

OSAKA - NIPPONBASHI :
Osaka-shi, Osaka
Naniwa-ku Nihonbashi 4-8-14

OSAKA - TSUKAMOTO :
Osaka-shi, Osaka
District Nishiyodogawa Kashiwazato 3-12-29

YOKOHAMA :
Yokohama City, Kanagawa Prefecture, Nishi-ku, Nanko
2-12-5 Nissei fifth building 4F
10:00 to 19:30 Sunday and holidays

TOKYO - SHINJUKU :
Nishi-Shinjuku, Shinjuku, Tokyo
1-15-6 NASA Building 3F 03-5321-5815

TOKYO - IKEBUKURO :
Tokyo Higashi-Ikebukuro, Toshima-ku,
1-40-1 Kurosawa station bâtiment 5F

TOKYO - AKIHABARA 1 & 2 :
Sotokanda, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo
3-1-10 OAK akihabara 2F
19:30 Sunday and holidays from 10:00 

Sotokanda, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo
1F Building 2 1-2-13 Radio Kaikan
10:00 to 19:00 all day 
  • Like 1

Another information, if you want to know if Akihabara's shop are open.

Go to the Akihabara Anime Center because they create a Akihabara's map with all shop and this map is updated everytime :

3F Akihabara UDX, Soto-kanda 4-14-1, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-002.
11:00 to 19:00 everyday except mondays
Edited by zibbu

2 others shops are located inside Nakano Broadway - Tokyo (Nakano Station on Chuo Line)

I don't remember but i think that this shops are on the 3F

Hey all

I was checking the locations for these Hobby shops so I have an idea of where to look when I go to Tokyo this oct , I like to use the street view, but I was totally surprised when google had a "street view" of Popondetta shop inside the shop on 1 floor ??

How is this possible ??

Brian

popondetta.docx

Edited by domino

Brian,

Google started doing this a few years back called business photos. Business applies and they then shoot it and add. Also many museums and public places. You will also find park/walking trails in some Japanese cities.

Jeffo

Edited by cteno4