Kato DCC controller?

Fat Al

CaptOblivious

It's a re-branded Digitrax Zephyr, with the screw-terminals replaced by Kato's special track wiring jacks. Been out for a few years now. Definitely a solid unit, but nothing special. (I rather like my Zephyr!)

Hmmm...I've looked at the Zephyr, and I must say I'm quite enamoured with it. Trouble is, i can't buy it here, there aren't any shops that sells American products.

Also, it looks like the Kato unit requires a booster of some sort. Is that also true with the Zephyr?

Decisions decisions...

CaptOblivious

That's not a booster, but a regular Kato DC throttle. One of the really cool features of the Zephyr is that you can use the so-called jump port to use a regular (smooth, not pulse-power) DC throttle as an additional DCC throttle, by simply wiring it to the Zephyr. That's what's being demonstrated partway down the page you link to; two people controlling independent trains using one Zephyr and a regular Kato DC throttle. The Zephyr will work with Digitrax's line of boosters, but already has a modest one (1A I think?) built in.

That's not a booster, but a regular Kato DC throttle. One of the really cool features of the Zephyr is that you can use the so-called jump port to use a regular (smooth, not pulse-power) DC throttle as an additional DCC throttle, by simply wiring it to the Zephyr. That's what's being demonstrated partway down the page you link to; two people controlling independent trains using one Zephyr and a regular Kato DC throttle. The Zephyr will work with Digitrax's line of boosters, but already has a modest one (1A I think?) built in.

Are the 2 jump ports on the Kato branded version refitted for the Kato power connector, or is it just the track connector. Or maybe one Kato, and one left open (to make it easier to connect a Tomix or other throttle).

Oh, and I believe the Zephyr is supposed to be 2.5amps, enough to drive a good number of trains (you'll need boosters for more room sized layouts).

CaptOblivious

The photo at the kato site seems to suggest that you can just plug a kato throttle directly to the jump port without worrying with screw terminals, but as a tomix man, I know nothing of how katos cabling and power systems work.

I have a Zephyr also, and I really like it.  I used mine for years on an HO layout.  Even though its circuit breaker trips at just 2.5 Amps of track power, it had sufficient power to run several locomotives (including a couple with sound).  See the manual if you want more information about the standard Digitrax model. And you can expand the system using Digitrax's "LocoNet" bus to take wired or (with the right parts) wireless throttles, power boosters, computer interfaces, and controllers to throw switches.

It's limited to knowing 10 locomotive addresses at a time, but that's more than it can power simultaneously, so that would really only be an issue if you added a booster.

One caution, Digitrax actually sells theirs two ways, as the DCS50 without a power supply, for international users (who need to supply their own), and as the Zephyr with a U.S./Canada "wall wart" that puts out the needed 15 VAC, 3 Amp input power.

One caution, Digitrax actually sells theirs two ways, as the DCS50 without a power supply, for international users (who need to supply their own), and as the Zephyr with a U.S./Canada "wall wart" that puts out the needed 15 VAC, 3 Amp input power.

Right. A number of stores (including ModelTrainStuff) even sell the DCS50 with the "Zephyr" name attached, so you really need to read the description to see if you are buying the one with or without a power supply.

Guest Closed Account 1

So you would recommend the Digitrax Zephyr Xtra with the 3A Power supply?

Its nice to know that one manufacturer prefers to use another Company's technology because we can get more information from Digitrax about the DCC products than Kato will ever reveal to us.

It's a win-win situation for the educated consumer.

Any DCC command station that has a reasonable track voltage level should work fine with Kato DCC-equipped trains (reasonable being in the 12-16V range). Digitrax doesn't really have an advantage from the fact that they also make the decoders for Kato, because the DCC protocol creates a vendor-neutral link between command station and decoder.

I've used my old Zephyr (14 Volt track voltage) as a bench unit to set up my decoder-equipped E231 with no problems, although I now have a DCS100 (switch-settable to 12V) for the layout itself.  Still, I'd say the Zephyr is a fine unit.

The big advantage the new Zephyr Xtra (DCS 51) has over the old one (DCS 50) is more "slots" (which are needed for trains known to the controller simultaneously).  The original Zephyr has 10, the Xtra has 20.  If you never run more than 10 separately-addressed trains in a session, it shouldn't matter, as you can make it forget the old ones. An EMU with three decoders all set to the same address takes just one slot.

The downside to the Zephyr relative to the Xtra is fewer functions accessible from the keypad (the Xtra has +10 and +20 buttons allowing you to select functions up to 28, where the original only had F1-F8). That's really only an issue with sound decoders. And no, I don't know why the limits are 8 and 28 rather than 9 and 29, but the manuals are quite clear.  The Xtra also supports something called "blast mode" programming for programming high-power sound decoders (the original Zephyr needed an external programming track booster for that).

Even if you don't need sound features today, having them for the future is likely a good investment.

However, even with the old Zephyr, if sound ever became an issue you could add an external throttle with the keys for sound functions and a programming track booster, so it's not like you're closing a door there.

The only potential downside to the Zephyrs (either) that I see is that without the ability to set the track voltage to 12 volts, it's likely that the voltage being used to drive the motor is (track-voltage minus 1), and N-scale motors are supposedly designed for 12V maximum track voltage.  I think it's very unlikely that anyone would sell a train (not tram) model that wouldn't work with 16 volt track voltage, given the number of 16V powerpacks on the market.  And the Zephyr is a 14V unit, so motor voltage won't be more than ~13V anyway (there's always loss in circuitry and track). But Japan isn't North America, and it's possible that some model would have less headroom.  That's one reason I bought a DCC command station I could set to 12V, although the main reason was slots and a misguided thought that I needed more than 2.5 Amps, which I find less likely now than I did six months ago.  But voltage is really not likely to be a problem.  I've never read of anyone having motor problems on a 16V system due to high voltage.

...because we can get more information from Digitrax about the DCC products than Kato will ever reveal to us.

Kato's DCC decoders are supposedly built on the Digitrax FX3 platform, so a manual for any FX3 decoder should be applicable (I haven't actually verified that myself). Most of the FX3 features involve light output special effects (like Mars lights) that probably aren't too useful on the headlights of a Japanese EMU though.

Guest Closed Account 1

And with DCC you can then control the rails with Loco Net.

And with an iPhone or Android you can control the Loco Net.  Walk and talk. Next is voice command.

Whatever happened to bulky transformers and accidentally dropping nails across the On27 as you nailed down the tracks with Dad's big hammer?

TheTrainGeek

Also please note, you CAN upgrade the booster on ANY Digitrax system.  Such as a Zephyr may only put out 3 AMPS but you can attach a 5 AMP booster to it thus allowing 8 AMPS for your loconet system.  You can get even an empire builder or super chief.  They now have the empire builder in 8 AMP Ability so you could truly have a major layout running at one time.  Plus with the Zephyr you can control up to 999 individual turnouts.  I used to be a dealer in the northeast called Full Steam Ahead.  I had to close up shop due to the economy.  Actually I am now coming back into the business with the goal of decoder and decoder installs. I am going to be working with TCS (Train Control Systems) on some new features they are going to be offering in their upgraded Kato Decoders.  If you have questions about decoders please send me a message.

Take care

The Train Geek

You can add power by adding boosters, but a Digitrax command station can never run more locos simultaneously than it has "slots", and the original Zephyr is limited to 10, which could be an issue on a larger layout.  You need to replace the Zephyr with a different command station to get over that limitation.

This is one of the advantages the new Zephyr Xtra has: it's 20 slots are less likely to be a limitation for even a large home layout.