New Project Party?

Me thinks that we should have another project party around here.

This place is getting a little boring, sooooo.... why not do a project party to wade out the winter in the southeastern part of the country? :brave:

I have a project in mind and making some ideas.

Who's with me?

Darren Jeffries

This place is getting a little boring, sooooo.... why not do a project party to wade out the winter in the southeastern part of the country? :brave:

I have a project in mind and making some ideas.

Who's with me?

Boring? Really?

What did you have in mind?

Where is here?

Well, by reading this from the PC at the house, here would refer to my house, but somehow, I do not think the cat would approve of a project party in her house. Of course if you are reading that in your place,i it would refer to your house.  :laugh:

Mudkip Orange

Where is here?

Well, by reading this from the PC at the house, here would refer to my house, but somehow, I do not think the cat would approve of a project party in her house. Of course if you are reading that in your place,i it would refer to your house.  :laugh:

I've been thinking about this, Mr. Hand. If I'm here, and you're here, doesn't that make it our house?

post-161-1356992412303_thumb.jpg

why not do a project party to wade out the winter in the southeastern part of the country? :brave:

Somewhere in Bayern? That's a little to far for me... :laugh:

Here as to forum.

I think a single piece of unitrack, double or single would be a basis. (128mm)

And for all the UK peps out there, in some areas in the US are being held up w/ snow.

Heh, I just realized that above is an analogy.

Here as to Forum

And just some thing to spice up the forum.

Krackel Hopper

hey hey,

I'd be down for a new project party.  I joined the boards just a little too late to jump into the September project party :(

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by a single piece of unitrack?

The "small layout" from September was cool but we should try not to repeat the same theme..

Yet.. the project needs to be "small" for it to be feasible for people to participate..

Here are a few ideas -

A diorama - A scene for your layout.  It does not require the use of any track.  Something you can plug into your current/future layout.  It could be a farming scene, a train station (the building, platforms and details), a street market, a ceremony or festival.  Basically, a scene that tells a story of the people in your layout.

A T-Trak module -  I know! I am bias - I'm building them anyway!  Yet they are fun, and can be completed in a reasonable amount of time.  This is a little like the last project party though..

A few other ideas I like, but I have ZERO experience with..

Kit-Bashing -  Create a kit-bashed building/scene for your layout.

And very similar..

Scratch Building -  Scratch build a building/scene for your layout.

Those are just a couple off the top of my head.  Anyone else have some ideas?

Jon

Darren Jeffries

Ok so it seems there is a fair bit of interest...

Who would like to host this? PM me if you are interested in hosting a party and what would be your preferred theme.

If you want an idea of what to expect as a host, contact disturbman (the host of the Sept party) or take a look at the forums over at ARCair.com where they have regular and concurrent partys.

I'll be here if anyone has any question.

And, as far as the subject is concerned, I think it should be keeped pretty open. The last party showed it, you have to aim general enough so people can integrate their project in their layout/module building. For that reason, it should be diorama based.

Well I don't have any room for a full layout, but I have been gathering pieces and doing preliminary work to design and build a 800mmx500mm (due to restrictions on space to store it) or less micro layout with R177 to run steam. If the party somehow connects I could alter my direction to match.

EDIT: To clarify, I doubt an 800x500 complete layout would be an appropriate party project (though "small, continous running" would work as a theme, since you could assemble a circle of R103 and run a shorty, TomyTec or ProHobby small loco/cars with the space inside being used for a nice building). However something like kitbashing/super detailing a loco/rolling stock, or creating a "mini" TTrak module along the lines of NozomiFan would work (it would give me some practice and I could still find space to store it). Only suggestion for that one is that it should accommodate Finetrack and various sized rolling stock (for example a diorama for a C62) we might want to display as well - perhaps make it "diorama of 16,000mm2 or less", which would be 124x124, or 210x75 or even 248x64.

Like this...

Can the closest Finetrack (33mm) be used instead, since I don't know of any mass produced rolling stock whose axles are only 3.75m apart? I'd be willing to make it 33mm x 25mm to keep the same area as 29mm x 29mm

Krackel Hopper

David,

I really like those ideas.

A small continuous run would be cool because it would provide for a "functional layout" for everyone by the end of the project party.  There are the Tomix super-mini curves, Kato R216, or flex track available for this.

I also really like the idea of setting a surface area.  I might suggest a slightly larger surface though.  Around 65,000mm² would allow those of us building T-Trak modules to create one for the project.  Then again, a really small display diorama could be cool as well.. would require some super-detailing that I have little experience with, but am willing to try out!  I have a MicroAce D52-1 that could use a sweet display.

I am game for about any type of project.  Also, I think a project party really inspires creativity.  Seeing what other people are working on makes me want to work more.  It also gives me new ideas or different approaches to modeling that I hadn't thought of..

Imposing the type of tracks is, in my opinion, a very bad move.

Maybe the solution is to re-use the themes of the last party (and maybe change the maximum size to accomodate David's requirement). It was open enough to allow projects like: very small layout, TTtracks or other modules and Dioramas.

Imposing the type of tracks is, in my opinion, a very bad move.

Maybe the solution is to re-use the themes of the last party (and maybe change the maximum size to accomodate David's requirement). It was open enough to allow projects like: very small layout, TTtracks or other modules and Dioramas.

I'd prefer not to impose track type too, just keep any dimensions (like "124mm") flexible enough that it doesn't indirectly imply that Unitrack must be used (i.e. TTrak). Almost all my current track is Unitrack, but for my upcoming little layout/diorama I wanted to try Finetrack (it's got smaller ballast, which I think creates an illusion of a longer run/bigger layout when seen next to Unitrack). A project based on area (mm2) keeps things open to flexibility.

The other project type, making or enhancing a locomotive or piece of rolling stock (or set of rolling stock) is something that could fit with anyones layout, and also provides a wide budget range (you could buy all the pieces to kitbash a working logging steam locomotive, or you could modify a generic $8 TomyTec 103 cab car to match a photo of a prototypical one off painted/decorated train).

http://pinktentacle.com/2008/12/decorated-trains-in-japan/

Yes. I like better the idea of using a regular track dimension as a base or a maximum surface (mm²) has a limit. But I stand by my earlier comment, I think it will be easier if we allow people to work on a diorama/layout/part of a layout. Comiting to a very precise theme could make people turn their backs to the Party. The key here is to be as open as possible.

Let people use finetracks/unitracks or any other tracks they like to work with. Let them build a completely independant diorama (with or without a locomotive scratchbuilding project) or one that could be part of a bigger layout. Let them scratchbuild a building or make a moutain if they desire so. Since this hobby is so exepensive I think it's best to allow people do something that could be part of their plans.

Sure we could have some sort of "build a yard" or "rural station" theme but I don't think much people will be interested in this.

How about no bigger than a sheet of A4 paper and then people have a free reign to do what they want but must include 1 item of rolling stock ?