Online resources for vehicle blueprints?

NGT6 1315

Morning!

I was wondering if there might be any online resources with blueprints or other drawings for Japanese rolling stock with all external dimensions? I am asking because not all Wikipedia articles (not even those on the Japanese version) contain this kind of information.

Thanks in advance! :cheesy

Martijn Meerts

I have a whole lot of schematics of Japanese steam locomotives, they were included with the brass C62 kit parts. Not sure about the exact details, but I can have a look.

I admit I did not think of any possible copyright issues. However, even if I just consider a full listing of external dimensions many Wikipedia articles are incomplete. Likewise, Ken Canada's good site does not offer this information for all rolling stock types.

The reason why I'm interested in this is because I usually put small signs next to the models in my cabinet with the principal technical data for each specific class, such as external dimensions, power output, speed and tractive effort - I don't like just displaying anonymous models, if you will :cheesy .

Hi! unfortunatelly my reply is no, (copyright problems I think...)

I admit I did not think of any possible copyright issues.

First off, what do you mean by "blueprints"?  If all you are want is the overall external dimensions, you can get those from what are variously known as outline diagrams, weight and dimension diagrams, or folio drawings, such as this example:

JNR-ED17c.jpg

When people use the term "blueprints", they are often referring to general arrangement drawings, the "GA", or the erecting drawings. Based on my experience in a railway rollingstock design office, I don't think copyright is an issue at all where these drawings are concerned. I'd suggest the reasons they don't appear online are that they are usually drawn to a very large scale, making them difficult to scan, upload and print, and they are drawn in a format that is unsuitable for most modellers to derive useful information from.

Again, I know from experience how much work goes into producing a good-quality scale drawing in a format that modellers can understand and use, which is why there aren't many available online. Having said that, there are a few very high-quality drawings on this site, along with a good selection of photographs:

http://www25.big.or.jp/~t_fukuda/cadcenter-1/cadcenter-001.htm

I hope you find this site as useful as I have!  :grin

All the best,

Mark.

Mark,found this site and Fukuda CAD) years ago when browsing links on Japanese rail sites. Except for the 'style book' section,the drawings are not suitable for enlargement, if you try to get dimensions not shown, plus the line thickness is awfully  :sad: On Fukuda's CAD site the drawings are much better,but only cover a few wagons...no engines. I wish there were similar sites for steam also.

Regards

Max

(Waiting for other links to show up  :cool: )

Max, I agree that the drawings on the Fukuda site are better, but I think the other site's drawings are adequate for scratchbuilding in HO. Having spent a lot of time working only from photos and a few known dimensions, I'd be happy with these as they are.

I have some GA drawings for Japanese steam locos, what are you after?

Cheers,

Mark.

Hi Mark

I was looking for for drawings of D51, D52,D62....GA drawings ought to be OK. Have a quite good drawing of a C62(a foldout drwg from a 'Train' magazine issued in the 90's) in 3 scales.

One of these days I might attempt to mate a D51 with a C62...... :cool:

Regards

Max