Sankei - "Paper" Kits

Krackel Hopper

Bob--fortunately you can use some of us as guinea pigs, and see how ours turn out...  :grin

Of course, I'm guessing your attempts at paper models would come out better than mine, but still...

Scraper,

They really are not paper kits. these are high density chip board, definitely denser, stiffer stuff than card stock. card stock is basically thick paper. chipboard like this gets rolled with a lot more pressure and is stiffer. for the small buildings its great ad i doubt much worry of warping. you can always stiffen them like you do on your model power kits. only rub is they are tougher to do kitbashing into larger structures due to all the layering they do on the walls. you would end up doing a lot of modifications.

cheers,

jeff

FWIW, I picked up some plain chipboard (1/32" and .08") at the art-supply store recently. Sometime soon I'll fiddle with cutting and bending it, and post if I end up with anything usable.

scott,

cool will look for your fiddlings! bending can be a problem usually ends up cracking the stiffer stuff and you dont get a clean corner. you can score and bend, but then you end up with a notch on your corner. definitely want to put a good straight edge on your bend then another under your flap to bend up so that you get even pressure on the fold. i have built little jigs in the past to do this. sort of like a metal bending brake. i like how the sankei kits do their joints with the built up wall layers to make a nice rabit joint along the corners. very strong, interlocking joint. also layering the chipboard gives you a stronger wall.

another trick is to buy cast window details and just cut a hole in your wall and plop them in! you can also cheat on mullions and muntins by taking the acetate and using a marker to make the muntins and or mullions with the marker on the clear acetate and then just pop that behind the window opening. use a silver marker if you want to do more modern metal windows. at any distance you would never pick up any relief here at scale anyway, just want the eye to see some lines across the glass to give the impression of muntins and mullions.

also little strips of styrene can also give you some relief details easily. you can just pre paint your strips and cut to length and come back and touch up joints with a dap of paint.

wooden coffee stirrers are also a cheap source of strip wood to stiffen things up. also think about running them down your joints as well to toughen them up.

if you want to get super detailed you can come back on the inside with regular paper to wall paper over your stiffeners. get fancy on the computer and you could print out all your wall details (ie wall colors and small details) and just cut out where the windows need to be! you can go crazy like this!

experiment away!

cheers

jeff

you can go crazy like this!

:grin  Sounds right up my alley...

Thanks for all the ideas, Jeff--this should be fun.

Depending on how the station goes, I might need to build a spiral ramp--*that* should be fun...

This will be interesting to see these models done. I looked at some on plazajapan on ebay. There were some cool city structures on there but I thought they were paper. But now that I'm aware of what these kits are I may attept to build one. I'll wait to see how some of these turn out but I'm more than curious now. Cool thread!

Cheers guys and thanks for the friendly welcomes! :D

Claude_Dreyfus

Wow, those look very effective; very difficult to tell they are card-built from these pictures. I'm more and more tempted!

qwertyaardvark

ack! how did i miss these pictures..... =_=

oh man those are beautiful~~~ ^_^ While my layout may be on hiatus, I'm definitely giving these chip board kits a go to pass the study-for-midterm/work-on-project time... :grin

Shame though that a lot of the Sankei kits I did want, HS was sold out of... >_< I'm finding much better luck at HW where it's only a 3-day restock away :)

The only downside the chipboard is trying to get things rounded that do need to be rounded. not that it cant be done just harder or requires additional materials to get some roundness into them. the chipboard does give you finer detail that most of the plastic. so both have their plusses and minuses.

cheers

jeff

Shame though that a lot of the Sankei kits I did want, HS was sold out of... >_< I'm finding much better luck at HW where it's only a 3-day restock away :)

Maybe you could try Sankei's Shop at Rakuten (http://www.rakuten.co.jp/sankeishop/). The only problem is, I can't find the english page of this particular shop.

Hobby Link Japan has most items in stock.  I've ordered from them and they are comparable with HWJ.

http://www.hlj.com/hljlist2/?Count=0&Maker1=SKE&DisplayMode=images&Title=Sankei%20Miniatuart%20Items

HS has some items that have gone on reservation prior to being restocked. See the reserve items for 3/5.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/rail/

This new row house from sankei really hilights what can be done with chipboard models with a wooden structure. you need the scale layering of thin pieces to give the detail that sets these simple, yet intricately built structures the right look.

http://www.hwjapan.com/sh/SKE84499.aspx

also hilights the drawback of chipboard kits as it requires a lot of pieces layered up to achieve this and it runs the costs up on a small building. just can mould one piece to handle like 5 layers of details with chipboard!

cheers

jeff

CaptOblivious

OK, what the heck is this one?  :grin

[Miniatureart Kit] Diorama Option Kit : Pug-ugly A (Unassembled Kit)

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10116920

hahahah, that's really good!

The Japanese language page has it listed as "鬼瓦", which as near as I can tell really means "demon roof-tile", which is only a little bit more helpful. My guess is, since it's an option kit, it contains bits to represent a certain kind of decorative roof tiles?

Update: Demon rood-tiles it is! But pug-ugly a good term too… http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E9%AC%BC%E7%93%A6

LOL, actually i think those roof demons are quite beautiful, and pugs well, its a face only an owner could love really... our old dog park out in the bay area had a guy that would come with 5 pugs (all siblings) and they would take over the park and terrorize even the largest dogs. it was the pug gang. dont know why one of the big dogs just didnt grab one of them and toss them a distance.

on another sankei note did you see the new z scale items, helicopter and tug boat. it will be interesting to see pictures of those!

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10116913

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10116915

interesting to see how these hold up in z scale as its right at that point where detail with the laser cutter in paper is going to get tight, but still too big for just plain printed cardstock buildings to look as real as the sankei cut out kits do.

cheers

jeff

and pugs well, its a face only an owner could love really... our old dog park out in the bay area had a guy that would come with 5 pugs (all siblings) and they would take over the park and terrorize even the largest dogs. it was the pug gang. dont know why one of the big dogs just didnt grab one of them and toss them a distance

Because the little buggers are very mischeivious. ours which is Shitzu cross Pug goes under the bigger dogs and has threatened to go for a Rotweiler's nuts but otherwise lovely little dog.

Back on topic has anyone built any of their platform kits?

awww cummonnn! someone's gotta step up and do it!

i actually have a wooden model i bought like 5 years back before the tomytec and sankei kits came out. pretty interesting model, but now that the others are out i will probably sell it off as its another one that will take some work! anyone interested?!

cheers

jeff