Apple iPad...is this our next DCC controlling system?

quinntopia

So the big 'news' today in the tech/gadget world is the release of the new iPad from Apple http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35085524/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/?GT1=43001.  Considering the development and work that folks like Martjin (and others apparantly) are putting into developing an app for the iPod/iPhone that would run DCC, AND comparing the iPad to such high end (typically European) systems like the Viessman Commander, ESU ECos, and the Marklin Central Station, this seems like a real game changer!  The list price is 'only' around $499 (when you consider the price of any of the three latter systems, this is a bargain!).

100127-jobs-ipad-vmed.rp350x350.jpg

And having gotten seriously interested in this after my son got an iPod touch (of which I am crazy jealous), I have to say, I think this is a real game changer for DCC (that some of us have been waiting for for a long time!  :grin  http://quinntopia.blogspot.com/2009/01/new-dcc-system.html

So, what say you that are more software inclined on this topic? Could this be a game changer?

Martijn Meerts

I think you can make some real interesting apps for the iPad to control a layout, but it won't replace the current digital systems for the simple fact that you can't directly connect an iPad to a layout. You still need a digital central with a computer interface.

In case of the Marklin CS1, Marklin CS2 and ESU ECoS, you can connect directly to them using TCP/IP. In case of all the other centrals, you'll need a server program running on a machine connected to the central.

It's quite possible making the app I'm working on compatible with the iPad, and adding some features which aren't practical on the small screen of the iPhone/iTouch. On the iPad you could display switchboards and such.

Edit: Just had a real quick glance at the SDK. Of course it comes with an iPad simulator so played around with that a little. Not much to do, only settings and contacts are on the simulator, but still, it's looking good ;)

I think the new split view they have in landscape mode is nice to quickly select a locomotive and get direct control over that locomotive (rather than picking a locomotive, getting a new screen with the throttle, then to pick a new locomotive to go back to the selection list and after picking go back to the throttle view etc.)

It would also allow you to have (functional) switch boards and the ability to quickly pick between various switch boards (station, yard, hidden yard) etc. either from a similar split view selection list or (probably better) a row of tabs.

If you consider all the hype, the iPad isn't all that great, but I do think Apple are on to something. A shame Jobs doesn't like a stylus, the thing would've been an excellent notepad/sketchpad.

I love the concept of a giant iPod Touch, and after spending an hour reading he Apple Site and watching the vids, that's all it really appears to be. I'll drop down half a k for the small one, but think I am going to wait for the G2. I can't help but wonder if this is what the future is going to be like. I find myself spending as much time surfing the web and handling email though the iTouch now.

I waited three years for the netbooks to cove over to the states after seeing them for the first time in Japan in 2005. I finally bought one, with the hopes of using it in Japan this coming March, and now, I discovered I can do all my blogging with the iTouch and my netbook is gathering dust, hardly used since I bought the Apple. Now that the iPad can run most OS3 apps, I can totally replace my iTouch with an iPad for the house and relegate the iTouch for work, and day-to-day stuff.

What I am wanting to hear more about is how the 3G is going to work on the iPad. Is it going to force me to have AT&T or what!? Then again I am on Verizon, and there is rumor that the iPhone is going to be opened up to Verizon, and T-Mobil as well as AT&T to compete against the Android-based smartphones. I really have not been this excited about the tech since the first PocketPC's game out.

I'm almsot tempted to whip out my Newton 100 just to see the old buddy.

I'm almsot tempted to whip out my Newton 100 just to see the old buddy.

Whoa! A newton 100! geez...... That was like the first PDA ever.

If you got to youtube and search john4lakers, he has a great unboxing video.

(unendorsed)

I don't really see the iPad as a DCC controller. Maybe if you wanted a dispatcher's panel or something similar, but it's too big to be handheld with one hand and operated with the other while you're walking around the layout, and do you really need the larger screen for a throttle? Most hand-held throttles are fairly small.

The iPhone is a much better form-factor for a handheld controller (not surprising given that it was designed to be held one-handed), and my only objection to the current DCC app, WiThrottle, is the lack of turnout control. I already have JMRI and a LocoBuffer on my Zephyr, so adding the wifi link to use either would be fairly easy.

Of course, if someone came out with an App that would do a dispatcher's panel and throttle on an iPad, I'd probably change my tune. It's the perfect excuse to "need" an iPad...

Martijn Meerts

I don't really see the iPad as a DCC controller. Maybe if you wanted a dispatcher's panel or something similar, but it's too big to be handheld with one hand and operated with the other while you're walking around the layout, and do you really need the larger screen for a throttle? Most hand-held throttles are fairly small.

The iPhone is a much better form-factor for a handheld controller (not surprising given that it was designed to be held one-handed), and my only objection to the current DCC app, WiThrottle, is the lack of turnout control. I already have JMRI and a LocoBuffer on my Zephyr, so adding the wifi link to use either would be fairly easy.

Of course, if someone came out with an App that would do a dispatcher's panel and throttle on an iPad, I'd probably change my tune. It's the perfect excuse to "need" an iPad...

The pad is designed so it can be held in 1 hand like you would hold a clipboard, and use it with the other hand, like you would write on a clipboard. That doesn't necessarily mean it's a good device to carry around the layout the whole time though.

We've already talked about a throttle app for the iPhone/iTouch, more about that here: http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,1729.0.html . As mentioned there, the basics are up and running.

The problem with any app for iPhone/iTouch/iPad is that it in most cases still needs a computer with software on it that controls the layout. Right now, only the JMRI software supports an iPhone/iTouch app to use as throttle, but at $9.99 it's FAR too expensive for what it does. Also, JMRI on OS X isn't the best. Java makes it slow, and on top of that, the serial port drivers JMRI uses are only compatible with 32bit Java. Not that much of an issue, you can set the default Java to be 32bit, except that every program using Java will then use the 32bit version.

On a more personal note, I think JMRI and WiThrottle are too ugly to even consider using. There's already tons of ugly hardware throttles around, why make the apps even more ugly? =)

If you have a Marklin CS/CS2 or ESU ECoS, there's TouchCab. That's an app that connects directly to the central without needing a computer. Obviously it's useless if you happen to have for example a Lenz or Digitrax system. Also, while not quite as ugly as WiThrottle, TouchCab is still ugly. The good thing though, it's cheaper and there's also a free version. (I believe the paid version can also do turnouts etc)

As for the iPad, it would allow for a couple of things that won't work well on the iPhone/iTouch. The most obvious is of course switch boards/dispatcher panels. The iPhone/iTouch screen is just too small for a switch board to be useful. On the iPad however, you can easily have multiple nicely detailed switchboards with the ability to control turnouts, signals and more.

Another option is to have 2 throttles side by side, 4 smaller throttles in a square, or even a list of mini-throttles which give an overview of which trains are running with which speed/functions and (in case of a block system) where on the layout they are.

Then there's waybills and the like. It seems many Americans love simulating a real railroad with their model railroad, so you can split the screen into a throttle on 1 half, and a waybill (and other info) on the other half.

If you have a camera equipped train, you could stream the video to the iPad, and have a throttle below the video, that way you can control the train as if you're the train driver (possible on the iPhone/iTouch as well, but very limited because of the screen size.) Add a dynamic braking system and it could actually be quite interesting.

Of course, all of those ideas need server software that on 1 end controls the actual layout, and on the other end communicates with the iPhone/iTouch/iPad. I'm slowly working on something like that, but it's going to be a while before anything usable is done. On top of that, it'll be for OS X only. Of course, there could be a windows version, but someone else would have to code that ;)

There's already tons of ugly hardware throttles around, why make the apps even more ugly? =)

You can say that again!  :grin