The Introduction Thread...

• Please log in to reply
1235 replies to this topic

#1221 scotspensioner

scotspensioner
  • Members

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:11 AM

Jeff
Many thanks for your post.Unfortunately at this time I have to take it down every time I run it! The garage is out of commission (full of junk - no car!) and it's not the most salubrious place.
The idea of scenery is appealing and maybe one day we'll go down that road. Meantime I'll continue enjoying researching the Japanese rail scene and country.
To say it's taken over is no exaggeration.Ive had a rough time over the years and earlier this year I had cataract surgery on both eyes -- N gauge while 75% blind!!
The Kato catalogues are in front of me most of the time and the Tablet is well used looking up things likeOchamon izu and EH 200 electrics!
Many thanks
Alex(Scotspensioner)

#1222 raganim

raganim
  • New Members

Posted 29 January 2017 - 04:31 AM

Hi everyone!  I'm a Z Scaler who has become very much interested Japanese rail.  I live in the United States.  I discovered the Rokuhan brand a few years ago when I was looking for reliable, well-running Z Scale locomotives.  Pretty much all of the Rokuhan locomotive prototypes are Japanese, so my "hand was forced."  I have since discovered that I prefer Japanese trains, and I have shifted toward wanting to only model Japanese stuff.  Thanks, Rokuhan!

Anyway, I see that N Scale is the big thing on this web site, but perhaps I could find some community / information / tips for the Z Scale things I do.  Being interested in something so specific as Z Scale Japanese model railroading means it's hard to find folks who even know what I'm talking about.  And when I have a question, it gets harder!

Edited by raganim, 29 January 2017 - 04:31 AM.

#1223 Kabutoni

Kabutoni

Creator of the imagination

• Members
  • LocationSagamihara, Kanagawa, Japan

Posted 29 January 2017 - 05:08 AM

Hello and welcome! From all of the forum members, I think I'm the only one who comes close to doing Japanese Z-scale, as I have a thing going for N-scale narrow gauge (6.5mm). It involves Rokuhan tracks, Z-scale wheels and power units, but that's about it. The Z-scale community in Japan itself is smaller than the HO community, whereas the N-scale community takes up about the gross part (+85% IIRC) of the market.

However, Rokuhan isn't the only manufacturer, as Sankei also produces building kits and details. Next to that, Tenshodo (originally a watch and jewlerymaker, so you can already guess the level of quality), also makes a small range of Z-scale rolling stock: http://www.tenshodo....25/Default.aspx surprisingly, these are priced quite well!

• beakaboy likes this

10923_0.gif10923_1.gif10923_2.gif10923_3.gif

Graphics by: 09@小田急

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kabuto Models on Shapeways for rare and important Japanese details for your layout!

#1224 mry1210

mry1210
  • Members
  • LocationPittsburgh, Pa

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:51 PM

Hello everyone,

Brian here from Pittsburgh. I have been a traditional US n-scaler and was looking to bring a different look to a module for our N-Trak club.

It started with a DE-10, an Aurora Bullet train, and a 313 set.

The plan, or something like that, is to use a Tomix bus set and tram track for a module with all Japanese buildings.

I found this forum and there looks to be plenty of info to help.

Regards,

Brian

#1225 miyakoji

miyakoji

駅員

• Members
  • LocationUS

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:21 PM

Hi Brian, welcome to the forum.

#1226 cteno4

cteno4
  • Moderators
  • LocationWashington DC

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:58 PM

Brian,

Welcome, you've found the asylum! Sounds like you are hooked!

Cheers

Jeff
Japan Rail Modelers of Washington DC
http://www.japanrailmodelers.org

#1227 Pashina12

Pashina12
  • Members
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:30 PM

Hi everyone! So another newbie here, thought I'd join up even though my focus isn't exactly on Japan - my interests are directed mostly towards the South Manchuria Railway, the Chosen Government Railway and private railways in Korea pre-1945, and the North Korean railways. But that aside the EF66 is one of my favourite locomotives in the world, alongside Mantetsu's Pashina class (as my username might suggest), and the Sentetsu Mikasa class.

As far as modelling goes I'm mostly just a dabbler... my interests are too wide-ranging to commit to a single subject. So I've just got plans for several smallish modules - something North Korean (I've got an M62 model completed, in TT scale), something Manchurian (have an Asia Express with a Pashina in the planning stages), and eventually probably a Sentetsu module too..

Anyways that's me in brief. Hi! :)

Xenia
  • marknewton likes this
gallery_7682_250_43184.png

#1228 cteno4

cteno4
  • Moderators
  • LocationWashington DC

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:32 PM

Welcome Xenia,

There are a number of folks interested in various Asian railways on the forum!

Jeff
Japan Rail Modelers of Washington DC
http://www.japanrailmodelers.org

#1229 medusa

medusa
  • Members
  • LocationCologne, Germany

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:31 PM

Hi Xenia,

nice to see someone with quite special interest. A welcome from me, too.

~Diane.

"Commence Primary Ignition"

#1230 Pashina12

Pashina12
  • Members
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:49 PM

Thank you for the welcome! :)

#1231 miyakoji

miyakoji

駅員

• Members
  • LocationUS

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:57 PM

Hi Xenia, welcome to the forum!

#1232 Kabutoni

Kabutoni

Creator of the imagination

• Members
  • LocationSagamihara, Kanagawa, Japan

Posted 03 March 2017 - 03:31 PM

Welcome to the forums. I'm sure there is some literature on the Japanese colonial railways out there. I'll keep an eye open for them, though all would be Japanese only.

10923_0.gif10923_1.gif10923_2.gif10923_3.gif

Graphics by: 09@小田急

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kabuto Models on Shapeways for rare and important Japanese details for your layout!

#1233 Pashina12

Pashina12
  • Members
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 03 March 2017 - 03:42 PM

Welcome to the forums. I'm sure there is some literature on the Japanese colonial railways out there. I'll keep an eye open for them, though all would be Japanese only.

Thank you! Japanese text I'm okay with, I can deal with it. I have several books on Mantetsu and DPRK in Japanese. I know there's a 6 volume set on the Chosen Government Railway (朝鮮総督府鉄道) that I'd like to get. I did find it at one online retailer but they didn't ship outside Japan, alas. I'd really appreciate a line on that set if you find it!

edited to add kanji!

Edited by Pashina12, 04 March 2017 - 09:16 AM.

• marknewton likes this

#1234 marknewton

marknewton
  • Members
  • LocationWaterfall, NSW, Australia

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:40 AM

I can't fault your taste in railways or locos, Xenia. I have an interest in Mantetsu, and have a few books, photos and postcards related to it. One of the books I have is this:

gallery_22_66_828372.jpg

If you haven't already got it, I think you'd find it's worth having.

Another book I have has a chapter on Mantetsu and the CGR:

gallery_22_66_12691.jpg

I found this print in a flea market in Changhun years ago:

gallery_22_66_876452.jpg

And I've been all over the two preserved SL7s like a rash!

Anyway, it's nice to have another fan of the obscure and unusual join the forum.

All the best,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton, 05 March 2017 - 06:41 AM.

• Kabutoni, miyakoji, beakaboy and 2 others like this
Modelling late Showa-era JNR in 1/80th scale.

And the ringing in my ears from playing too loud,
I hear the ocean, I hear the crowd.

#1235 Pashina12

Pashina12
  • Members
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:41 AM

That's a fantastic photo! I also don't have either of those books - the first one, is it as the title says and is just a photo collection, or is there some info, too? And how is it for freight cars?

I never did make it to the Shenyang museum, unfortunately. I did go up north for a couple weeks and of that spent a week and a half in Harbin but a good 6 days of that was lost time due to my mum being sick. I wasn't about to leave her alone in the hotel room for several days, and when she was well enough to travel again, I just took her back down south to where I was living and the climate was a little warmer (this was the middle of February). And besides, I'm not sure she'd have appreciated a second day dedicated to trains (after the Beijing museum) in the same way as I would have, even if the Mantetsu bug bit me *after* I left the area. But eventually I'll get back up there, if not before, then when I go do my long-hoped-for visit to the DPRK.

Obscure and unusual? I've given serious consideration to doing a little TT9 module representing a Rhodesia Railways branchline that was closed in the 1930s, and another module to represent the St Clair Tunnel between Sarnia, Ontario and Port Huron, Michigan, back in the days it was electrified. I don't know about the tunnel idea anymore, as that'd also require rather large yards at either end, but the RR idea I may well revisit as it seems ideal for a little linear modular/shelf layout. Cuba's another locale I've considered for modelling - where else would you find an ALCO FA/PA and an M62 together in one place?

There's something special about those obscure little nooks and corners!

• Kabutoni, Khaul and medusa like this

#1236 Khaul

Khaul
  • Members
  • LocationSydney, NSW

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:52 PM

The Mantetsu appears in Herge's "The Blue Lotus", not obscure at all. Now, ex-FGC's "granotes" in the Hershey's railway near Havana, ok, that's a bit out there...  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users